• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Tom Tom Gps, maximum speed recording.

John L

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
I recently bought a Tom Tom Rider 400 and while it has many good features it has one feature for me that will be a deal breaker if it can't be fixed. Under Trip Statistics it records maximum speed with no easy way to delete it except seemingly to do a complete reset every time. Which then wipes out all details and it has to be set up from scratch, including resetting bluetooth connections etc.
In South Australia you can be fined big dollars for being 5kph over the limit. I have been fined $220 for being 9kph over in a 110 zone, less than 10% when Australian Design Rules say a speedo must be accurate to within + or - 10%, so my speedo can be legally 10% out and I can be fined because of it. So why the bloody hell would I want a device that records my maximum speed every time I go for a ride for anyone or everyone to see???
If no one knows of a way to disable this feature I have a brand new Tom Tom for sale.

As far as I can find out so far the only way is to reset the whole thing, and start again which means loosing all saved addresses, rides etc. then having to pair up all blue-tooth devices again. A total pain in the arse

My Garmin saves the max speed data as well, but if I clear the trip data it clears max speed as part of the trip data.
How is that even a worry? Could they really use that in any way against you in a court of law?
That is f'd up.
Glad I don't live there.....

Not familiar with the Tom Tom, but can you set it up with an access code so you only can view the maximum speed?

Or you can argue that the maximum speed was achieved on a private road. Or a racetrack.

I checked my TomTom and you can clear the daily statistics easily but the overall does seem to need a reset. If you are that paranoid about it I think there is a problem with the police state. First, the officer would have to know how to operate the unit. Second, it just says maximum speed but not when it happened, Could have been last year when you were at a trackday. I would never clear it and the accumulated mileage and time would show there is no way to tell when that speed was done. Just clear the daily after you accelerated to slightly over double the limit to pass that line of cars.:rolleyes:
I have had Garmins, fought with my brother's Garmin and used 2 TomTom's. A TomTom Rider 2 leave a whole lot to be desired. My TomTom 2013 (like a 400) is my preferred unit at this time. Yes, it doesn't say street names but in many ways I like it better than the Garmin. There are trade offs and my brother likes his Garmin even if it gives him fits every time we go to Canada so it is personal preference. Twice he did not know how to open the Canada maps. I figured out how to get them to open before the third trip up and it died in New York. He just bought a new one. I used to use a Garmin car unit and while in Canada it was pouring rain and we had to rely on it. It filled to almost 3/4 of the screen covered in water but kept working. The next day was dry and you could see the water level lowering. It still works today.

Hopefully I am just beirng paranoid time will tell, but here in South Oz speeding fines have very little to do with safety and are used mainly to raise state revenue, the expected income from fines is even part of the state budget. If revenue starts to fall they lower tolerances or speed limits, many roads that have been 100kph limited for ever are now 80kph which makes no sense when you take into account modern vehicles improvements in handling and breaking, also a road with a 80 limit is maintained to a lower standard than one with a 100 limit so it's also a way for government to save money which proves the lie that none of it has anything to do with safety.

No access code Dave.

Then how about a hidden switch that "mysteriously" turns the Tom Tom off before the officer approaches.

Or are you just being over cautious? Because the GPS is an accessory on the motorcycle, I wouldn't have thought that any other person has the right to look at your personal data. Are they going to start checking your smart phone too?

I would have thought to make a speeding charge stick they would have to show where the offence happened, so unless the unit could be interrogated to that extent, you should have no reason to worry.

Thanks everyone, sounds like I'm just being paranoid. Heading off to Tasmania today on the Eldorado for a couple of weeks, looking forward to seeing how it goes on a good trip and hopefully you are all correct.

I would have thought to make a speeding charge stick they would have to show where the offence happened, so unless the unit could be interrogated to that extent, you should have no reason to worry.

I'm unfamiliar with Tom-Tom units, but I suspect that if you're logging your track (or whatever terminology it's called for your GPS) then it's pretty trivial to show exactly what speed you're travelling at any location within at least a hundred meters or so. The track log consists of data points containing exact location and time, and there's typically lots of them unless you're travelling in an exact straight line for a long period of time. Even then, track logging is usually done by time interval and change in direction. This is from a Garmin, but you get the idea ...

Capture

Since your individual Tom Tom has not been calibrated, there is no way it would stand up in court as evidence. Relax and enjoy the ride!

The South Australian police generally work on a 10% margin of error so if you were booked for 119 in a 110 kph zone, I suspect you were actually going faster and the cop downgraded your speed to put you into a lower penalty band. I was recently clocked at 120 kph (in the car) and let off with a warning. Then again, I was super polite and incredibly remorseful :)

Cheers from another South Aussie,

Last edited:
Since your individual Tom Tom has not been calibrated, there is no way it would stand up in court as evidence. Relax and enjoy the ride!

The South Australian police generally work on a 10% margin of error so if you were booked for 119 in a 110 kph zone, I suspect you were actually going faster and the cop downgraded your speed to put you into a lower penalty band. I was recently clocked at 120 kph (in the car) and let off with a warning. Then again, I was super polite and incredibly remorseful :)

Cheers from another South Aussie,

Wouldn't have a problem if that was the case Rob, but I was driving my sister-in-laws corolla on PT Wakefield road, 110 limit, cruise control was on and speed alert set at 115kph, speed alert obviously was not going off, I didn't even slow down when I saw him way before I went past him. Explained this all this very politely to the copper and said that now I knew the speedo was that far out I would obviously drive accordingly, he couldn't give a stuff, just handed me a ticket, obviously it was near clock off time and he was down on his quota, revenue raising at its best.

Cheers, John.

GPS speedometer are pretty accurate. What's up with the speedo on your bike?

What kind of Guzzi?
You can look into Speed hut GPS gauges. A lot of us V11 Sport guys are doing it since finding Viglias are hard and MTIs are crap. They even do custom with matching the facesame of the Guage and putting the logos in there . Very classy and cheaper than the OEM in many cases.

Back