• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Swapping or buying wheels, I hate Spokes!

Dan Porges

Just got it firing!
I love my new Cafe Classic, I love the way the bike rides and runs when im not stuck in traffic. Unfortunately, I still find the tube tires and spoked wheels to lead to a little bit soft tire feel. Yes, the suspension needs some work and that will help, but i have been riding and racing a long time and i can tell the tires are a source of challenge. I woud like to go to a better tire size/compound eventually and ideally would like to get rid of the tubes. I cant justify the cost of the $2600+ for the Kineo's (which are the only spoked wheels i have ever liked), so would be interested in other options out there. Any suggestions? Anyone with a Stone want to swap wheels for spokes? My tires are BRAND NEW, only have 400 miles on the bike in total so i am open to a swap for a set of just rims in exchange for my full tires/wheels/tubes.

Good deal! I like spokes so it is a shame I don't have a V7 with mags 'cause we would be swapping.

I'm sure you will find somebody to trade with.

Congrats on the V7, and what did you race and what Series? You know it takes spending money to make non race bikes, race bikes. People still race on bias ply tires, quite successfully, but it sounds like you're looking for radials. Not even swapping to the Stone cast wheels will help as it's more rim size related, so either Kineo's or lace your own front and chemically seal both so you can put on the modern radials, thanks to the modern 250-300 Sportbikes. Below is my RentAGuzzi.com V820R with Kineos and Bridgestone radials; 120/70-17 Fr & 140/70-17 Rr

I started racing on a YSR-50, went to a TZ-80 and then a Honda RS-125. First 4 stroke was a privateer Ninja 600 and was then picked up for two seasons by Kawasaki as an AMA 600 rider. Lost my seat after a crash took both sides of my collar bone and had me off the bike for too long to get back on, never quite got the lap times back where they needed to be at that level.
I would prefer some radials, or at least tubeless good bias ply tires. I don't like the feel of tubes, i find you can feel the tire shift in the corners more.
I love the Kineo's, even if spoke aren't by thing, i fell in love with those when i saw them on the Brutale Dragster at a bike show once. Its just hard to justify almost $3k in wheels and tires when i only paid $4500 for the bike.

AMA CCS or Pro? What years? NHIS? I ran CCS and some Pro events there '93-00, and I know the Woods quite well.

So as a Racer, you know there's never trying to justify costs. Either lace up a new front rim and run tubes or chemically seal, or throw the money down on the Kineos. Since you aren't racing any more, you should have plenty of disposable income to toss around. ;)
If you like the bike, invest.

I was in the former AMA 600 Supersport series, turned to AMA SS Pro and now they have combined them overall (seemingly eliminating the 750 class) for a couple seasons, raced Loudon a couple times, crashed there pretty hard in 1997. I started back in 1987 as a 50cc rider in what was then a local version of the MotoGP 50cc class which was previously eliminated. It was part of what merged into the LRRS a couple of years later I believe.
I went on to the 80cc class for a year as a privateer in MotoGP until that was killed in 1989. After that I raced locally, NHIS mainly, Limerock, and a couple of stints down at VIR, but for the most part it was a waiting game till I was old enough to bump up to the local 250cc classes riding my 2 stroke 125 which was a blast. I was just good enough to get some attention of a local team sponsored by my dad's employer (at the time) Polaroid and eventually Team Green. I was never all that great, a decent rider, but usually finished mid pack. Made a lot of great friends so am pretty well connected locally in New England to the motorcycle scene.
Unfortunately, being only mid pack, I never made much money....
I do know the Wood's family (at arm's length). I have taken many a refresher course and track outing through Penguin Racing School which they founded and I actually bought my Riejumoto RS-1 from Jeff as it was originally his pit bike that he never actually tracked.

Back