• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Quick question for the Illuminati

profwacko

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
I'm working on an '83 SP 1000 that belongs to buddy of mine.

Todd, you remember when we were having lunch in Austin and the guy at the next table said he had a Guzzi on his used car lot? Well, this is it.

The picture attached is the sump that was on it when purchased.

Anybody what sump is this?

SP 1000 sump smaller

The filter is in the rear and the owner says it took nearly a gallon of oil to get the level to the full mark on the dipstick.

ADVthanksANCE

-Jack (in Bastrop, Tx)

I'm sticking my neck out here & contradicting Todd (& will most likely end up looking an ass)

BUT

That sump to me looks like the filter is at the back of the sump & not the front like the MG cycle one, which in itself deeply resembles a Moto Spezial sump, which I have on mine.

Its a bit weird looking as the sump looks to slope upward towards the front of the bike, so I have no clue never seen one like that

I do agree totally with Todd that deep sumps are not for holding more oil but to alleviate windage and crankcase pressure so the amount of oil should be the same as normal or a little more but definitely not the same level as a factory sump

It's one of those goofy Bub oil sumps.

262298806_o-1.jpg

That sump closely resembles a Bub sump I once used on a CA II. The rubber oil lines are the weak link. I had one split and lost pressure. I recommend dropping the pan and if it has rubber lines, toss it and put on a stock pan, or the one of the pans from MG cycle or Harper's.

Thanks very much, gents.

I believe it is definitely the Bub model.

I'll update this thread as soon as I get pictures of the inside.

-Jack (in Bastrop, Tx)

There were two really trashed screw heads holding the pan on that I finally got out.

Now that all of the bolts are out, how do I get the pan off?

It moves around a little bit, but not nearly enough to see the hoses or fittings.

ADVthanksANCE

-Jack-

Or maybe someone could post a picture of the installation instructions?

Everybody's gotta have a dream, right?

With the Bub type pan you have to cut a pan gasket and mount the two inner manifolds first. Then you mount the rest of the pan using the perimeter of the gasket. It is a tight squeeze to mount the manifolds, but supposedly you shouldn't have to drop the pan again. However, that is an incorrect assumption as the rubber hoses can fail.

Thanks for the update, JZ.

I finally got it off. The front of the timing cover (I think) was interfering with the pan removal.

After the oil was drained, there was still at least 1/4" of dirty oil in the bottom of the pan. I guess you're supposed to drain it while on the side stand, rather than on my bike lift.

We're going to replace the pan with a stock one and ride away at a high rate of speed. >8]

Thanks to all for the help.

Oh, anyone want a slightly used Euromart (Bub) oil pan?

-Jack

I had a buddy who used to rib me about having to remove the sump on my Guzzi to change the filter until someone loosened the oil filter on his Honda. I am not saying it was me.

Good move to dump the Bub- it is a heavy piece of crap.

Back