• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Gas/Petrol Capacity of a V7/V7 II Tank?

redge

Tuned and Synch'ed
Moto Guzzi's main English site, on its technical download, says 21 liters, as do the specs on its Italian site. The U.K. site says the same. However, on the Australian, Canadian and French sites, the specs say 22 litres. The U.S. site also says 22 litres, but not so long ago, if I recall correctly, suggested 23 litres.

A one litre variation (which is .26 of a U.S. gallon), let alone double that, strikes me as rather a lot.

I'm not about to die in a ditch over this, but ... has anybody actually measured the capacity?

P.S. All of the above measurements include the four litre reserve.

Last edited:
Guzzi is infamous for unreliable information in their manuals. Also when the low fuel light comes on is highly variable from bike to bike. My suggestion is to ride until the low fuel light goes on then fill up. Your capacity will be what you pump, plus around another 4 liters, or possibly more or less. I've always found it good to reset the trip meter when I refill and see where in miles the low fuel light goes on. Then fill up. I then remember that average and try to fill up at that distance or a little before. It is better to pump then push!!

Guzzi is infamous for unreliable information in their manuals. Also when the low fuel light comes on is highly variable from bike to bike. My suggestion is to ride until the low fuel light goes on then fill up. Your capacity will be what you pump, plus around another 4 liters, or possibly more or less. I've always found it good to reset the trip meter when I refill and see where in miles the low fuel light goes on. Then fill up. I then remember that average and try to fill up at that distance or a little before. It is better to pump then push!!
How little unusable fuel is left in the tank when you "run out" will also depend on how the bike is ridden and the terrain. The fuel pump and intake are on the left side of the tank, and there's no specific provision for getting whatever remains on the right side over to the left side, other than by jostling and sloshing. So, if you're riding steadily on smooth roads, there will be more unusable fuel remaining in the tank when you run out, than if you are stopping and starting abruptly, thrashing around curves, or going over washboard.

Do all V7's have the low fuel text on the dash or is that just the V7II? I've always just filled up when I see the light, not that I'm going to change that habit...roughly 250km. Not sure how that fairs to everyone else's fuel consumption (city riding mostly).

My '14 V7's fuel light typically comes on between 155 and 165 mi (249 to 265 km) depending on how hard I've been riding. The average lands right at 162.78 mi by the time I get to the pump.

I average 3.69 gal per fill up by filling just to where the fuel is touching the inner lip with the bike on the kickstand.. 44.09 mpg average.

My '14 V7's fuel light typically comes on between 155 and 165 mi (249 to 265 km) depending on how hard I've been riding. The average lands right at 162.78 mi by the time I get to the pump.

I average 3.69 gal per fill up by filling just to where the fuel is touching the inner lip with the bike on the kickstand.. 44.09 mpg average.
The light on my '13 V7 Stone usually came on at about 160-170 mi. The light on my current '16 V7II Stone comes on at 195-205 mi. Same mpg, same tank, same fuel pump unit (which contains the low fuel-sensing thermistor). I know from experience that I can get to 245 mi without running out. How much further? Don't know, haven't run out yet.

my wife and i did a 420 km trip last year, on one tank. the light came on around 280, i felt confident she could make it home, so told her to keep going:)

that was all highway or 80km roads. i would not have let her push it that far commuting to work.

13 v7 btw.

Just filled mine to the brim after the yellow light came on - 16.5L.
So if a 21L tank, that gives me 4.5 litres reserve, at about 13 miles / litre = 60 miles.
Just long enough to get used to the yellow light being on and then ignoring it......
AndyB

Do all V7's have the low fuel text on the dash or is that just the V7II? I've always just filled up when I see the light, not that I'm going to change that habit...roughly 250km. Not sure how that fairs to everyone else's fuel consumption (city riding mostly).

I get about the same for city riding, around the 250km mark. Took a long trip down south last year on it and was getting close to 400km before the reserve light came on, which was amazing and very funny when my buddy on his Commando ran out of fuel three times in the same distance haha

As far as I am aware, neither the V7s nor the V7IIs (I've owned one of each) have a TEXT indicator of low fuel, just the amber light. The user's/owner's manual describes a "Trip Fuel Function (if supplied)", but I think this is pure fiction. Likewise, there is a "Fuel Alarm Function (if supplied)", but it doesn't seem to actually exist.

This is pretty true to my experience as well with my v7II. I recently ran out of gas while trying to get on the freeway and with me thrashing the bike under me from side to side. I was able to limp it to the next off ramp and coast into the gas station. 5.5gal was what the pump read after fueling up and that was with the bike centered and filled to just under the edge of the tank.

Thanks Moto Max, finally someone who admits to having run out of gas :)

Your 5.5 U.S. gallons = 20.82 litres, which suggests that the capacity listed on Moto Guzzi's Italy and U.K. sites (21 litres) is correct, with the rest (see original post) being a bit optimistic.

Thanks Moto Max, finally someone who admits to having run out of gas :)

Your 5.5 U.S. gallons = 20.82 litres, which suggests that the capacity listed on Moto Guzzi's Italy and U.K. sites (21 litres) is correct, with the rest (see original post) being a bit optimistic.

Hahaha, yeah. Well my boss was telling me that on his Vic Cross Country, he'll go from home to work, to home, to work and home again all with the fuel light on before gassing up again. So I thought I'd give it a try and only made it from work to home, and to work again before running out. Not quite as much reserve fuel as the Vic's I guess.

The problem with the first reply in this thread is that some of the early models (most 12-13's and possibly some 14's) actually had a different low fuel sensor. At least one person who posted in this thread has it from what he posted on how little fuel the tank takes when he refills right away.

Mine was like that too, and it basically meant that I had about 100 miles of range left in the tank when the light came on (somewhere in the mid 3.0 gallon range).

After replacing the fuel filter I relocated the sensor slightly lower on the pump housing and now the light comes on at almost exactly 4.0 gallons or generally about 200 miles.

I still have about 1.0-1.5 usable gallons left after that, so I confidently proceed past 250 miles in range if the light didn't come on until ~200 (since that confirms I'm getting at least 50 mpg).

I generally start to get nervous about filling up around 260-270 miles.

I don't think I've had the nerve to go past 280, but could if I was getting really good mileage (like mid 50's which I'd know because the light wouldn't come on until ~220 miles then).

Back