• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

O/P Sensor R/R

Bill Hagan

GT Reference
GT di Razza Pura
Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
What a monumental PITA. :sweating:

I have tried the “easy” way to access it by removing left header pipe and using an offset 21mm wrench. While I can get the wrench head over the sensor and even onto the splines, I cannot get enough movement to remove it … or, FTM, even to move it at all. There is simply too much in the way.

Before I resort to the “dreaded air box” approach — which, as I recall, gives precious little way to get at the little effer, too — thought I’d ask about pulling the breather tube out of the way.

But, when I go to the parts diagram, I get confused.

What I “see” is what appears in this screenshot.

i-nxQgC7J-L.png

But is that (#18 there) the same as as what #10 joins here, which doesn’t look quite the same to me?

i-8zjVXBT-L.png

Is this all the same breather hose that connects the crankcase to the air box?

And, will removing it give me any more bite on the sensor head?

Yes, I am confused, and, as usual, in over my head. Hoping someone will save me from myself. :)

Grazie.

Bill

Whew, that makes my head spin! Don't know what I'm looking at, but it looks to me that #18 in diagram 1 is what hose #10 connects to (on the lower end) in diagram 2. I wish you luck!

Confirmed on above post Bill. There have been some creative solutions over the years here, but from memory, yes, air box removal is what it takes.

Bill, mine is a 2012 with I guess an improved sensor but while I was doing my lifters I saw the sensor that everyone said was a PIA to change. Just out of curiosity I put my long extension on my ratchet and was able to get on it fairly easy. What I did was loosen the front of the airbox and pull it up without disconnecting the back. I had to do that to reach the cap for the right cam chain tensioner. That was when I saw it and tested it for future reference. Can't remember what all I had to pull to do that but it wasn't much.

Interesting, Rudy, and thanks.

Will give that "front-only up" approach a shot.

As all know -- or have colorful cursing in their futures :swear:;) -- the real challenge with the air box is not that item itself, but in reinstalling the hoses from the box to the throttle bodies. I start spasmodic twitching at the thought of revisiting that challenge. :sweating:

Bill

same here, liberal spray, line the pipes up and give it a good hard dunt at the front of the airbox, slipped right on both sides. it was a bit of a pain getting the circlips tightened up more than getting the box connected up to the throttle body

Interesting. Thanks. I emailed the guy. Don't know him, but he lives pretty darn close ... and is next door by "Honey, I'm taking one of the Guzzis to get a loaf of bread" standards. ;)

I hear all of the hints about making the air box easier to reinstall, but I'd still smile while pulling the trigger on the guy who designed it. :punch:

Seriously, my slippery drug of choice is liquid silicone, but the whole process is more of an adventure than I seek.

I am down in the Moto Grappa now, listening to CLE courses so I can keep my law license -- tho I don't know why; I guess I just don't want to bag groceries if thing$ go $outh :cry: -- while pulling the tank and getting to the sensor.

More to follow, tho I'll likely be all afternoon just getting the "quick release" off. Yes, I know all the "tricks." I think I need another bullet for that engineer. :rolleyes:

Bill

Last edited:
Bill, did you get one of the sensor wiring kits?

And as for getting the boots back on the throttle bodies, I always use a light coat of vaseline...

Bill, did you get one of the sensor wiring kits?

And as for getting the boots back on the throttle bodies, I always use a light coat of vaseline...

Yes, thanks. You sent me one. Installed it a few months ago … when I last had the air box off. A great mod.

It would have been smarter to do this job then, but ...

Now, for those of you have not yet done this chore, and have any interest in same, here are some pix. No sound, so no cursing, but let your imagination run free.:swear:

The worst part from my perspective is getting a wrench to seat and turn.

I did not have a 21mm wrench before this job, but, because a fellow on another website said he had been able to go in from the left side rather than the top, using one of these, I ordered that: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professional-21-x-23mm-full-polish-deep/p-00944368000P

I wish I had a vid of how he did that.

A no-go from the side, and a major PITA from the top. Lordy, I must have made a bazillion teeny turns, each requiring removing and reseating of the wrench, before it came out.

So, Amazon is sending one of these tomorrow: http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-WRN571...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Anyway, while this may be child’s play for some of you, in’s an ordeal for me. So, for those of you who are similarly challenged by things mechanical, here’s how the removal process went:

i-J4x3qxH-L.jpg

i-BFkLXVS-L.jpg

i-cDHBh6N-L.jpg

i-gPJHbmq-L.jpg

i-DQKnDM6-L.jpg

i-THkmq9k-L.jpg

i-PwkckPJ-L.jpg

i-8svtF25-L.jpg

Tomorrow, I start the reverse process.

Best from the Moto Grappa at the top of Virginia,

Bill

P.S. Just as I was finishing the above, friend “Guzzi Steve” called from Atlanta to see if I had put a thermite grenade between my Norge’s jugs. He had some great thoughts that I’ll let him expand on if he sees this. If not, I’ll try to repeat those without garbling ‘em.

I declared victory today.

After Kathi made me enter tick country this morning to kill several nests of Allegheny Mound Ants — nasty buggers, those —

i-c9j8m4Q-L.jpg

… she released me from her “Perpetual List” of honey-do’s, so I rushed down to the Moto Grappa before she could change her mind!

Installed that oil-pressure sensor. Still don't have quite the right tool. Sure hope no one ordered that 21mm ratcheting wrench I mentioned. It’s a quite nice addition to my tool box. Taiwan made. Unfortunately, it’s too fat for the job.

i-8Q5dZ56-L.jpg

I eventually just used my (also too fat) hand and fingers to insert and then tightened as best I could that way. Then, used that offset box to torque down to "wrench-art" specs. Attached ITSec’s snazzy little connector to the top, and it’s done.

i-87GSzns-L.jpg

After that, of course, came the fun of reinstalling air box, but even that went better than I had feared. Still sucks green eggs, Then, the tupperware, but that’s become like field stripping my old Army 1911, as I can almost do blindfolded!

i-XsrVhW4-L.jpg

Best, “Switch on … Contact!” VAROOOOOM!

No red light.

i-bZ4BGGb-L.jpg

How sweet it is.

Bill

Good to hear. Keep a hold of that other wire, you'll need it when they eventually ship you a sensor with the new spade head.Now, though, it will be plug-and-play!

Awesome Bill, you now go up a level in the mechanical ability chart. Soon (no, not that soon) you will:sweating: be competent!

I'm a bit late to the party here but would just like to say I've found two things helpful while fitting and removing my airbox.
One, fitting a fuel quick connect that is a quick connect and two, using a hairdryer to soften the rubber airbox manifolds.
There's actually a third one, remembering to fit the airline between the airbox and stepper motor. Nothing more annoying than successfully slipping on those manifolds and seeing that little hose sitting on the bench.

Steve

I just broke down and removed the alternator which made getting the oil pressure switch in and out much easier but removing the alternator was a whole other job unto it self.

Back