• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Are Deep Sumps Available for Spine Framed Bikes

OldJock

Cruisin' Guzzisti
So just asking a question, the bike is Sport 1100i

The bike is getting rebuild/refurbished and I wondered what are the pros and cons of the broad sump motor over the standard 1000 lump.

Do these motors benefit from a deep sump?

Are deep sumps available?

I already have a sloppage/splash plate in between the sump and crankcase, but I wondered if the engine would benefit from a deep or V sump

John

Hey Ol Jock!
Just my opinion but unless you are hard at it racing then a deep sump is just an extra expense & more oil to fill it unless it is moving the filter to the outside.
I think deep sumps actually started back in the time when engines were not as "tight" as they are today and during a long road race they could leak & blow out enuf oil to toast an engine. A deep sump was just a way to carry more oil.

There probably are some cooling advantages to more oil & an oil cooler but for an average rider unless they are city traffic bound or riding in hi temp desert area's there is no real advantage or need.

I'm interested to see what others say.

One benefit of the broad sump is the built in thermostat and cooler provision. The V or deep sump has neither though apparently the V sump cools better due to the exposed filter and deeper finning. The sumps on the Brevas Sports etc have gone back to a compact version of the broad sump with a built in thermostat and cooler ports. They are rather nice and not too heavy.

Other random points: V sumps are sexy and neat :). Broad sumps are heavier by 2 or 3 lbs if I remember correctly, the V sump is slightly heavier than a Cali deep sump. V sumps can be retrofitted with a Mocal sandwich plate that incorporates cooler ports.

Would your bike benefit from a deep sump. Probably not. Most of the European dealers sell V sumps I believe. If you get one take out the threaded plugs that block the oil path drillings and seal them with teflon tape. I put one on my racer and the plugs all leaked :)

Thanks guzzigray

That seems to more or less settle the issue for me.

If I read that right then the issues that the deep sumps addressed on the 1000 bikes, were addressed via the broad sump with its stat and cooler.

John

Guzzigray, thanks for the compliment and the words of wisdom.

The avatar is the 1000 refurb'd around 4 year back. I thought I'd post up a bigger pic to let you see it, as it more or less looks now.

Unfortunately due to bad judgement I took to a mate's place where the roads are poorly surfaced and cambered. Then proceeded to fall off the dammed thing at walking pace. Nothing serious but now waiting for my painter and some sundry parts from Magni to arrive to put it back on the road.

2016%202_zpspiwosluj.jpg

The 1100 is still getting built here is how it more or less looks right now, still a long way to go

DSCF1782_zpsnnwl1zgf.jpg

Trout

How the hell are you? Nice to hear from you again

John

Back