• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2014 Custom Rear Turn / Brake Indicator

G

GFMCO

anyone know if you have to replace the whole assembly, of if there is a way to coax it open and replace the led independently? Just checked AF1 and the whole assembly is $164 - ouch!

Curious to know how you would coax anything open.
Not sure, that is why I was asking. had the bike 7 months so $165 seems like a lot. I know it seems to be sealed and I don't know the internals of it.

Were you able to confirm the circuit is good to the light?
Yes, I pulled the right side assembly and connected to the left and that worked. Also moved the left to the right and still did not work. I may dig into the connector, but it does not look like anything is disconnected. Does seem funny - i thought led lasted forever.

I looked into dissecting my rear turn/stop led assemblies also when I was thinking about modifying them, but after I had them off on on the bench I couldn't come up with a way to open the assembly up without fatiguing the plastic. Didn't want to ruin it without another spare in stock, but like you found that the price was kind of high for a bunch or LEds - which brings me to my question - Do you have a LED failure or was it damaged. I have yet to experience LED failure anywhere and I've been working with some since the 1980s.
anyone know if you have to replace the whole assembly, of if there is a way to coax it open and replace the led independently? Just checked AF1 and the whole assembly is $164 - ouch!

I looked into dissecting my rear turn/stop led assemblies also when I was thinking about modifying them, but after I had them off on on the bench I couldn't come up with a way to open the assembly up without fatiguing the plastic. Didn't want to ruin it without another spare in stock, but like you found that the price was kind of high for a bunch or LEds - which brings me to my question - Do you have a LED failure or was it damaged. I have yet to experience LED failure anywhere and I've been working with some since the 1980s.
No damage. got the bike (2014 custom) in 2015/December - New. So about 7 months old with 1200 miles. Just stopped working. I may dive into the connector but it looks solid. It just gets a little hard to diagnose without cracking it open. Never heard of led failure like this.

Yes, I pulled the right side assembly and connected to the left and that worked. Also moved the left to the right and still did not work. I may dig into the connector, but it does not look like anything is disconnected. Does seem funny - i thought led lasted forever.
I had similar issues with mine last April and they fixed it under warranty. The dealer replaced the rear lights using a new bike off the floor for parts. Found out the new bike rear lights were also bad after replacing my ECU because the problem persisted. Turned out my ECU was fine. Took 2 grueling weeks to get parts from Italy and fixed the day before I left on a 2000 mile trip around lake superior.
Your dealer should be able to fix under warranty. Good luck!

No damage. got the bike (2014 custom) in 2015/December - New. So about 7 months old with 1200 miles. Just stopped working. I may dive into the connector but it looks solid. It just gets a little hard to diagnose without cracking it open. Never heard of led failure like this.
Why would you even think of tearing it apart before asking the dealer to warranty it? I know normally bulbs are not covered but an expensive LED assembly should be. As Kdirtrider said, his was done under warranty. Now if somebody can keep the damaged one and send it to Fast1400 then maybe he can dissect it and in the future when they die out of warranty we may find how to fix them for less than new.

GFMCO, its probably incomplete connections or possibly a worn through scenario.
This happened only after 3K miles on my Custom, noticed what I thought was the front left turn signal lamp out, lamp ohmed out ok, worked the harness back from there and found it bound too tightly, so much that it rubbed through the outer bundle tubing and broke one of the wires simply from rubbing on the tripletree. Easy fix. After that when I was looking in to the rear fender mount cracking (replaced under warranty) I scrutinized the under rear fender wiring and found it bound too tightly also, no worries, the replacement fender came as a unit with LEDs, wiring harnesses. etc. already attached. These harnesses were dressed properly.

Guess the wiring dressing on my bike was done right before lunch !!

Abbienormal,
I'm sure the stock assy is just resistors and LEDs, its that the damn plastic assy is glued up tighter than a drum, designers probably didn't want any chance of moisture invading.

Now if somebody can keep the damaged one and send it to Fast1400 then maybe he can dissect it and in the future when they die out of warranty we may find how to fix them for less than new.

You have a two year warranty. According to your purchase date of December 2015, you should be under warranty until December 2017. Get MG to pay for a new tail light!

Back