• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Air Hawk R Small or Large?

SEG

Tuned and Synch'ed
I was originally planning to get a custom seat for my 2015 California Touring, but I've decided to try an Air Haw R, their cruiser shaped seat. For those with a Touring, have you gone with a small or large Air Hawk R? Eventually I'll get a custom seat, but the Air Hawk is a good choice for me now. Sizing for the Air HawkR:
  • Large: 14 1/2 " Wide x 14" Deep x 2" Tall
  • Small: 11" Wide x 11" Deep x 2" Tall
Thank you.
Scott
Denver

Large: 14 1/2 " Wide x 14" Deep x 2" Tall
Small: 11" Wide x 11" Deep x 2" Tall
Thank you.
Scott
Denver

Scott,

I recently measured my seat for a beaded seat cover. I think the "small" size you reference would work best. I measured about 12" deep (rear of tank to step in seat) and 11" wide.

Road Aventure,

Thanks for the info. I am out of town so I could not measure the seat. I'll go ahead and make my order for the Air Hawk.

Scott,

I recently measured my seat for a beaded seat cover. I think the "small" size you reference would work best. I measured about 12" deep (rear of tank to step in seat) and 11" wide.

I'll be curious as to how you like the beaded cushion. Please do let us know...

I currently have a Alaska Leather sheepskin seat cover. No gel, etc., just the sheepskin

Black_Buttpad_SM_5d0eef9a-f590-4a2b-a0e8-bd802d94270f_2048x2048.jpg

I have been pretty happy with it for eight years. Just wanted to try the beaded cover to learn if it is any better.

I currently have a Alaska Leather sheepskin seat cover. No gel, etc., just the sheepskin

Black_Buttpad_SM_5d0eef9a-f590-4a2b-a0e8-bd802d94270f_2048x2048.jpg

I have been pretty happy with it for eight years. Just wanted to try the beaded cover to learn if it is any better.

I've had something similar on another bike a while back. Later, I rode on a friend's bike (same seat) that had the beads. Liked it better, but today I'm not sure how much better. I *do* know I don't like the way the air-bag cushions look... So, still interested in your comments if you do get one...

I got the beaded seat cover from Beadrider rather than the Air Hawk. I will be getting a Russell Day-Long and I needed something to ease the pain from the stock seat until I get the RDL. I thought that I could use the beaded seat cover with the RDL on occasion, but wouldn't use an Air Hawk on an RDL so that was the primary reason for the Beadrider. The Beadrider makes a dramatic improvement. I can ride 300 miles now with no discomfort; with just the stock seat, I was sore after 100 miles. After about 150 miles, I feel a little discomfort with the Beadrider, but as soon as I'm off the bike, even for a quick gas stop, the discomfort (no pain) is gone, and I'm ready for another 150 miles. The Beadrider was definitely worth getting.

Thank you. I've been pondering the RDL or the Corbin products (I've had a Corbin on another bike, and it worked out great there). Your (dis)comfort level sounds just about like mine. And with the Spring/Summer heat levels here in Texas, the ventilation features of the beads are likely welcome, if not needed...

Thank you. I've been pondering the RDL or the Corbin products (I've had a Corbin on another bike, and it worked out great there). Your (dis)comfort level sounds just about like mine. And with the Spring/Summer heat levels here in Texas, the ventilation features of the beads are likely welcome, if not needed...

The beads are supposed to provide a cooling effect, but I have not noticed it. Maybe that is because the Roadcrafter suit is so thick that it's blocking the wind. I'll know more about the cooling effect once I switch to mesh pants. Regarding Corbin and RDL, I had a Corbin many years ago and didn't like it, I gave it away. I've tried multiple customs seat builders and I always come back to RDL, this latest RDL will be my 5th.

I don't know how big of a guy (person?) you are, but about a decade ago I became convinced you HAVE to be in excess of 200 lbs to get a Corbin to successfully break in... ;-) I've not sat on a RDL modified-for-Guzzi seat, but the only one I have sat/ridden on (another brand of bike), it was a little too plush feeling for me. I don't (and doubt I ever will) do more miles than 350-400 in a long day. And Oh! I can positively vouch for the bead cover's cooling potential. I've used the car beaded cushions in several work trucks I've had over the years, and down here where it regularly gets to 100F and stays there, they are way better than the alternative... I might mention I'm not a real fan of air conditioning in a vehicle until ambient temp. is pushing 90+F... Anyway, thanks for your response...

I got the beaded seat cover from Beadrider rather than the Air Hawk. I will be getting a Russell Day-Long and I needed something to ease the pain from the stock seat until I get the RDL. I thought that I could use the beaded seat cover with the RDL on occasion, but wouldn't use an Air Hawk on an RDL so that was the primary reason for the Beadrider. The Beadrider makes a dramatic improvement. I can ride 300 miles now with no discomfort; with just the stock seat, I was sore after 100 miles. After about 150 miles, I feel a little discomfort with the Beadrider, but as soon as I'm off the bike, even for a quick gas stop, the discomfort (no pain) is gone, and I'm ready for another 150 miles. The Beadrider was definitely worth getting.

I don't suppose you remember the exact sub-model of the Beadrider? Looking at their website right now, and there are a lot of choices...

Silicon beads and I believe it was the 13 inch wide model. I am on a bike trip now. On July 28th I will get a Russell Day Long built as a ride-in job. After it is built m, I can sell the gently used Beadrider for a good price if interested. Send a PM if interested.

Silicon beads and I believe it was the 13 inch wide model. I am on a bike trip now. On July 28th I will get a Russell Day Long built as a ride-in job. After it is built m, I can sell the gently used Beadrider for a good price if interested. Send a PM if interested.

Silicon? They only talk about a ceramic composite (Ultimate) or wooden beads on the Classic. Thirteen inch agrees with what my tape measure was showing as probably the best width. Thanks for the quick reply...

Jim

Back