• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oh it has a fan

lmmandel

Just got it firing!
I've owned a 1400 for almost four years and rode it 25,000 miles. I also live in the desert and have seen the gas in my tank boil many times in the summers. So . . . . wondering why I never heard my fan run. Anyone know how to test it? Anyone heard their fan run? If the fuse is blown wonder if it sets a code. Etc.

i'm also wondering about my fan thermostat. i used to hear it all the time after a summer ride. Now, it never comes on. The fan powers up with a direct connection so i suspect the thermostat is stuck or otherwise faulty. I'm trying to work up the energy to crawl under the bike and pull it off. I'm guessing it's just a simple bi-metal swtich mechanism.

Maybe test it by heating it up?

Let us know if you come up with anything.

I just got around to installing an on/off switch to manually control the oil cooler fan. Wired into the dedicated fan fused circuit so no trouble overloading circuits. I only plan to use it if required in city stop and go traffic. Still not sure why the fan never powers up on its own, will have to get around to order and change the thermostat or sensor. IMG 20160720 200921

Reactions: Ste
Its been in the high 90's around here(going to be like 102 Monday) and I've gotten stuck in stop and go traffic and have yet to hear mine come on. I'm not sure if I would hear it over the bike and through my full face helmet.

I will say the heat coming off the bike when it is that hot out sucks in general though when stuck in traffic.

I've heard mine on a regular basis, usually in stop & go traffic when the temperature is over 95. Given the comments in this thread I guess I'll listen for it next time I ride her.

I also heard mine on a regular basis and it stopped. I checked and the fan is working when connected to power, so it must be the thermometric switch that's broken... I ordered a new switch from AF1, will update here once I replace the faulty one.

I also heard mine on a regular basis and it stopped. I checked and the fan is working when connected to power, so it must be the thermometric switch that's broken... I ordered a new switch from AF1, will update here once I replace the faulty one.
Any news on your fix? How to replace?

No news yet, still waiting on the part to be shipped from AF1 racing...
I would like to see the oil temp on the dash instead of the outside air temp. And a light on the dash when the fan is spinning. I also liked the idea of a separate, manual switch when you just want the fan on. Good idea mikeaedmonds

I would like to see the oil temp on the dash instead of the outside air temp. And a light on the dash when the fan is spinning. I also liked the idea of a separate, manual switch when you just want the fan on. Good idea mikeaedmonds
Agreed on everything. I saw the oil temperature in GuzziDiag so it's being sampled by the ECU, now if only there was a way to get an external gauge/display that would somehow feed that information off of ECU - that would be amazing.

By the way I'm still waiting on the part to arrive. AF1 told me Piaggio America didn't have the part in stock so they're ordering directly from Italy, but it's August and it sounds like they're having a collective vacation throughout August so I'll hopefully get it mid September.

Agreed on everything. I saw the oil temperature in GuzziDiag so it's being sampled by the ECU, now if only there was a way to get an external gauge/display that would somehow feed that information off of ECU - that would be amazing.

Might be nice if someone sold a replacement dipstick with a temperature gauge. Or, would that not be high-tech enough? ;)

How do you tell if it's working? After a long hot ride and leave it on idle and take a look without burning yourself on the exhaust?

I never heard the fan while the bike was running, but after a warm ride, instead of turning off the ignition, I flipped the engine stop switch and, with the engine off, I could hear the fan; it continued running for 10-15 seconds before all the electrical items shut down.

By the way I'm still waiting on the part to arrive. AF1 told me Piaggio America didn't have the part in stock so they're ordering directly from Italy, but it's August and it sounds like they're having a collective vacation throughout August so I'll hopefully get it mid September.
It would be nice if the Oil Temp info that's being sampled by the ECU could be used to trip the fan.

Just had a great overheat whilst stuck in severe traffic in London in 32% ambient temp.
The Temperature switch failed to operate and it turned out there was a blockage in the return spigot of the Blow-By Tank positioned just above the Lefthand cylinder head,where it filled with Oer hot oil, distorted till it touched he cylinder head where it melted to the head and subsequently true a small hole in the bottom of it discharging its contents over the cylinder head. It looked from the outside like it was leaking from the cylinder head.

Best advice would be to stick something like a piece of exhaust wrap to the underside of the Blow-By Tank.

Last edited:
I was on a ride on my Norge this past week and while waiting the third time to get through a long red light in upper NY state in 86 degree weather I figured I would turn off the engine and turn the key back on while waiting. Engine off, key on, you can hear the fan perfectly fine. Might be a good way to check on the 1400 if yours is running.

Sorry for replying so late everyone, but I waited on the new sensor for too long and then forgot to come here and give an update once I replaced it.

So I put the new oil temperature sensor in, did my usual to/from work rides for a couple of days and still couldn't hear the fan. I rode some curvy mountain roads over the weekend however, and once I got to the top of the mountain there it was in all its fan glory - it was working!

Now the only "problem" I have is that I still don't know if the old sensor actually broke or I just didn't get to hear it at the times I was paying attention to it. I should be able to heat it up to 140C and check if the circuit opens (the sensor is specified to 130C +/- 5C).

Sorry for replying so late everyone, but I waited on the new sensor for too long and then forgot to come here and give an update once I replaced it.

So I put the new oil temperature sensor in, did my usual to/from work rides for a couple of days and still couldn't hear the fan. I rode some curvy mountain roads over the weekend however, and once I got to the top of the mountain there it was in all its fan glory - it was working!

Now the only "problem" I have is that I still don't know if the old sensor actually broke or I just didn't get to hear it at the times I was paying attention to it. I should be able to heat it up to 140C and check if the circuit opens (the sensor is specified to 130C +/- 5C).
Hi Wroom, can you provide me with the part number you ordered from AF1? I do have an issue no fan running, today in heavy traffic it got really hot idling, I noticed the red flashing triangle on the dash. I immediately shut the engine for about 5 mins restarted no flashing triangle. I need to be sure that senor is functional. THX Mike

My Norge had a manual fan switch installed by the original owner. I couldn't figure out what the switch was for and it wasn't in the manual. One day I turned on the switch with the ignition on and the engine off. Voila the fan turned on. I use it in traffic and when I come into a town after a long, fast ride.
I have heard the fan engage automatically on several occasions also.

Back