• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1984 Lemans III

fireflyr

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Hey all. I sold the V7Racer to a great guy from Pasadena last week and then went north with my wife Kathy to pick up a beautiful Lemans III.
IMG_0049_zpsvki5qxf3.jpg

29,408 miles on the clock, bone stock except for the pod filters and Koni shocks. This being our second Moto Guzzi the bike and it's characteristics were very familiar after owning the V7. The gear box requires a firm, positive shift and it feels like it's on rails in the twisties. It starts easily with the enriching lever and settles down to a nice idle. Power is fairly benign until you hit 6000 rpm when you realize that the vinyl protectant you put on the seat was a very stupid idea. 100 mph at the end of a long onramp was a big surprise as was the efficiency of the linked front and back brakes. I can't think of a thing I'd change. I've been wanting one of these things for years. I remember seeing them at Marin Cycles in the 80's and am glad that one came available. I found it in the MGNOC classified section on Saturday, sold the V7 on Sunday, and went north to the Bay Area on Wednesday to pick it up. All amid the worst fire season we've had in 20 years. The guy that bought my V7 was a great guy (why do you feel like your selling one of your children when selling a Moto Guzzi?) and the guy I bought the LM3 from was a very nice guy. I'm seeing a trend here........
IMG_0089_zpszbpwobdd.jpg

IMG_0090_zps1jiujabs.jpg

I will surely miss the sound of that 2 into 1 Todd designed for the V7R but I'll catch back up with the bike soon. It's just south of us and the MG community is small.
Pat
PS looking forward to some 2 up riding with the wife. The V7 was a little cramped for us.

The fun is just starting.
Out of all my bikes the 89 Mille GT is the one I ride most.
There is just something about the old T's & carb'd engines that is sooooo satisfying.

I need another bike like I need an IRS audit but people keep posting the Mille's they find and they look sooooo nice. I really hope I don't run across one that is as nice as that and cheap. That will mean another bike I have to put on the trickle charger once a month in the winter and more decisions as to which bike to ride on a nice day.

Hey all. I sold the V7Racer to a great guy from Pasadena last week and then went north with my wife Kathy to pick up a beautiful Lemans III.
IMG_0049_zpsvki5qxf3.jpg

29,408 miles on the clock, bone stock except for the pod filters and Koni shocks. This being our second Moto Guzzi the bike and it's characteristics were very familiar after owning the V7. The gear box requires a firm, positive shift and it feels like it's on rails in the twisties. It starts easily with the enriching lever and settles down to a nice idle. Power is fairly benign until you hit 6000 rpm when you realize that the vinyl protectant you put on the seat was a very stupid idea. 100 mph at the end of a long onramp was a big surprise as was the efficiency of the linked front and back brakes. I can't think of a thing I'd change. I've been wanting one of these things for years. I remember seeing them at Marin Cycles in the 80's and am glad that one came available. I found it in the MGNOC classified section on Saturday, sold the V7 on Sunday, and went north to the Bay Area on Wednesday to pick it up. All amid the worst fire season we've had in 20 years. The guy that bought my V7 was a great guy (why do you feel like your selling one of your children when selling a Moto Guzzi?) and the guy I bought the LM3 from was a very nice guy. I'm seeing a trend here........
IMG_0089_zpszbpwobdd.jpg

IMG_0090_zps1jiujabs.jpg

I will surely miss the sound of that 2 into 1 Todd designed for the V7R but I'll catch back up with the bike soon. It's just south of us and the MG community is small.
Pat
PS looking forward to some 2 up riding with the wife. The V7 was a little cramped for us.
IMG_0049_zpsvki5qxf3.jpg

IMG_0089_zpszbpwobdd.jpg

IMG_0090_zps1jiujabs.jpg

Pat
very nice. Good purchase

I think that's my old bike. I'm glad it ended up with someone that appreciates it .
Wow, wouldn't that be a trip! I'd love to hear the history of the bike. I purchased the bike from Kyle in Point Richmond, who got it in a trade from a chef in Oakland/Berkley. From what I remember from the short time we spent with Kyle picking up the Le Mans, he had purchased a Ducati 900SS from the PO who called after a month and said he wanted his Ducati back and the trade was made for the LMIII. The last 3 on the VIN are 324. Any info you have would be great.

I ran into some problems last week with contamination in the tank and a weird electrical issue. I have it apart waiting on new petcocks and a hex die (M16 x 1) to chase the threads on the tank. There was a substantial amount of flakes and black grit that I've cleaned out and am trying to figure out how to clean it all out. The paint on the tank is in great shape and I don't want to risk damage with chemicals.

The electrical issue had me stumped. It would turn over fine until everything would go blank. No warning lights or anything with the key turned on. Completely dead. The fuse bus only had battery voltage to the bottom two fuses (12.7vdc). After 30 minutes it would crank then nothing. I ended up cleaning all of the terminals I could access and then cutting off the damaged end of the main wire from battery to the rectifier and replacing it. It seems to be ok now but I'm waiting on the fuel tank parts to get it running again. I think maybe there was too much resistance in the wire and it was heating up. Electricity is a mystery to me. PFM.

So, just biding my time waiting for petcocks and manuals from Gutsibits in the UK and carb gasket kits.

GUZZIGRAY: stunning bike! Were you responsible for the beautiful paint? Nicest 32 year old bike I've seen. Thanks for the reply.

Pat

54c3eccb-6a67-4289-8fd4-85b2fd58139f_zpso4gdixak.jpg

IMG_0125_zpsehwuizfw.jpg

Hi. Yes, I did the paint. The tank paint is original though. I'd be happy to give you the history and help in any way. Please give me a call at 213 392 4042

Hi. Yes, I did the paint. The tank paint is original though. I'd be happy to give you the history and help in any way. Please give me a call at 213 392 4042

On my way to Montana for a couple of weeks of fly fishing with my son. I will call when I get back. Thank you again.

Pat

All is well with the LM III. The electrical issue turned out to be a lose ground connection on the battery cable where it attaches to the frame. It was pretty much hidden from view but the starts are fast now without further problems. I did add Rafael's T3 to my garage in December and have had fun working on it.

The day it came home.

IMG_1031_zpsynxqcbrq.jpg

Today:

IMG_1424_zpsmfrpu6lg.jpg

On our maiden voyage to the Kernville Brewing Company. Bike ran great and we got to park next to a cool Ducati 750 GT.

IMG_1444_zps79ndtg5n.jpg

Thanks Rafael! Everything you said about the T3 was true. You listed everything that was a problem before I bought it and I've pretty much kept to that list in my repairs. No surprises. Now if you get tired of storing that sidecar..........

IMG_0960_zpsdr5jytld.jpg

I bought a Harper's seat cover for the T seat and had it installed by a local guy for $20. It came out really nice. Rafael sold the bike with the SP seat installed and threw in the T.

IMG_1386_zpsckkucqn2.jpg

A couple hours on the LM III will whip you but I could see days in the seat of the T3.

IMG_1422_zpskfz6q9jf.jpg

"The paint on the tank is in great shape and I don't want to risk damage with cheminais"

My new standard
procédure is to fill the tank with Evaporust and let it sit for a week or two. Evaporust is amazing stuff - it is not an acid but a chelating agent and will convert the rust to a black oxide. Electrolytic cleaning works pretty well but evaporust works better and is less hassle. I then line the tank with the epoxy made by Caswell. This should not affect the point and prevent ethanol damage.

The leman 3 is IMO maybe the best Guzzi ever. Congrats!

I have not used the Evaporust so no comment if it works better or worse but I had good luck with Metal Rescue on a Suzuki TS90 tank. No paint damage but it took a few days soaking to get all of it. I blame part of that as it as winter and the garage was only about 55 degrees overnight and only warmed up to 70 when I was working out there. Like Chris R I also then coated the tank with Caswell.

Thanks Rafael! Everything you said about the T3 was true. You listed everything that was a problem before I bought it and I've pretty much kept to that list in my repairs. No surprises. Now if you get tired of storing that sidecar..........
Pat, I'm glad you like the T-3 and that you're taking care of it. The new sidecovers look great. You might want to buy my old T tank and have it painted to the original T-3 scheme. Once you get a new rear tire on it with a normal profile she should handle a little better. If you ever need the distributor guts let me know, I found the box with all the bits. Your two bike look great together in the garage! Let me know if you ever get into the clutch, I used my magic grease on the clutch hub. I know that's a sin but it's magic. That clutch should feel better than most clutches of that era. It would be interesting to find out how the hub held up. I'll keep you in mind in case I sell the Velorex.

A cartoon from an old MGNOC new letter comes to mind. Its proud guzzi owner interviewing a prospective buyer for his bike. He's grilling him at a desk the way you might imagine that an adoption agency might a prospective parent.

Pat, I'm glad you like the T-3 and that you're taking care of it. The new sidecovers look great. You might want to buy my old T tank and have it painted to the original T-3 scheme. Once you get a new rear tire on it with a normal profile she should handle a little better. If you ever need the distributor guts let me know, I found the box with all the bits. Your two bike look great together in the garage! Let me know if you ever get into the clutch, I used my magic grease on the clutch hub. I know that's a sin but it's magic. That clutch should feel better than most clutches of that era. It would be interesting to find out how the hub held up. I'll keep you in mind in case I sell the Velorex.

A cartoon from an old MGNOC new letter comes to mind. Its proud guzzi owner interviewing a prospective buyer for his bike. He's grilling him at a desk the way you might imagine that an adoption agency might a prospective parent.

That might not be a bad idea with the tank Rafael. Wouldn't hurt to have this one as a spare. For the tires I threw some Shinko 712's on it and they handle great. They were about $100 for the pair. As for the mechanicals......... all is good. No reason to think the magic grease is going to lose its mojo. Hoping to take this over 100K without doing too much to it, and to the distributor guts, yes I'll take them. I kept the original dizzy for my Landcruiser for the inevitable EMP event........ Might as well for the T3 too.

In one of those documents I signed for you I think there was something about visitation rights....... I'll keep it full of gas so if you get down this way..........

Back