• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cracked Cal 14 Exhaust Parts

I have been watching this thread and a couple of comments. Most manufacturers "have never heard of this" unless it happens to every bike made. If the dealer in Ohio who told you that is one I spoke to prior to buying mine I can't think of one truth he told me prior to my purchase. I can make a list of things not true. Some blatent.

Todd: If you make the complete system without the flex joint will there maybe be some vibration transferred to the frame and thus the rider with a rigid mount? I am assuming the flex joint is to separate the vibration of the engine from the solid mount mufflers. Just a thought and may not matter.

As I like a quiet bike I am leaning more towards the H pipe if mine develops the problem. I watched the video of your new mufflers and they seem a bit louder than I prefer.

Funny. There has been three that I know of with cracked H-pipe connectors. Guzzi has to acknowledge the issue simply because of the additional support brace at the connection. However, that solution isn't working well. My simple observations; The stock system shakes incredibly... Likely due to the stock mufflers not allowing exhaust flow, and the system trying to absorb the immense power pulses (when you open the muffler flow up, it's pretty incredible as to the exhaust intensity and velocity). As I understand/have learned, the welds are laid down too hot and fast, making the welds brittle. This isn't the first time stock exhaust parts have had this issue on other models.
I believe the flex joints are to allow fit of imprecise production parts, not for vibration reasons, and the rear hanger mounts and rubber bushings were put in place to handle vibration there, same as most other manufacturers have done over the last several decades.
With my mufflers installed, the vibration witnessed in the exhaust is substantially reduced, enough so that I will stand behind my lifetime warranty on workmanship on my GTM® exhaust parts.

Todd: If you make the complete system without the flex joint will there maybe be some vibration transferred to the frame and thus the rider with a rigid mount? I am assuming the flex joint is to separate the vibration of the engine from the solid mount mufflers. Just a thought and may not matter. As I like a quiet bike I am leaning more towards the H pipe if mine develops the problem. I watched the video of your new mufflers and they seem a bit louder than I prefer.
Per my last sentence above, my design for the new H-pipe combined with the rubber bushings on the rear hangers, I am very confident on the integrity of the design (and hopefully can have some miles to verify it by the end of the year). I will offer the cut-and-fit H-pipe with flex joints for those wishing to retain the stock mufflers.

The reason I do not like posting video of my mufflers is because they always seem louder then in person. That said, they are MUCH louder then stock, but FAR from most HD straight pipes.

I see what you're saying about new hpipe versus new headers/cans; I was wondering about the combination options.
Having first tried the Agostinis, I like the LaFranconis that are on the bike now, and I'll go with the new hpipe. Sure will be nice to not have to worry about the ticking cracked hpipe time-bomb.

Todd, Will you post pictures of the new H-Pipe when it is done?
Yes. Worked on it yesterday (see pics below), and should have it jigged and ready to take orders today. For those interested in one, and/or to place a pre-order (I'm only going to build a very limited quantity for now), send me an email direct please; Todd at GuzziTech.com -- Lifetime Guarantee, and will work with stock or aftermarket mufflers, and retain the stock heat shields.

Next up is all-new headers to muffler connections, including the new H-pipe for those who don't want to cut their stock headers. See our online Store link above or linked direct; Full GTM System HERE -- GTM Hdrs & H-pipe HERE -- GTM H-pipe HERE

New H-pipe (cross-over/connector of our design not yet shown - connection to stock header will have a stainless clamp):
GTRx Cal14 Hpipe

Connector pipe is squarely cut just forward of the connecter brace:
GTRx Cal14 Disc

This is what you have left, to be re-installed:
GTRx Cal14 Hdr

I was curious as to Moto Guzzi's liability on this. I know emissions on cars carry a longer warranty than the normal car warranty. I did some looking and found this:

transportpolicy.net/index.php?title=US:_Motorcycles:_Emissions

Basically it says 5 years or 30,000km (not miles, odd)
I think Guzzi is exempt as under 3,000 units sold in the U.S. annually.

I have just returned from a 2,500km ride, two up and fully loaded, having installed the GTM connector pipe on my 1400 the day before setting off. The process of cutting out the original and installing the replacement was straightforward and easy. The quality of the replacement connector is high; it is substantially stronger than the original, and fits perfectly.
At the end of the trip, everything remains tight and secure.
The touring ability of the 1400 is wonderful. I added the new connector to help ensure long haul reliability.
I am very happy with the result.

Mine broke twice once on each side. Warranty took care of it but its going to keep happening and my warranty runs out June 1.

I changed the name of this thread to cover all parts that are cracking/breaking on the C14. Below is a picture of the front heat shield stand-off bung on the headers.
I am working on header replacements, that will mate to my GTM® H-pipe. My offerings will not be sewer pipe-sized double wall tubing, but it will be high grade stainless of fairly large diameter (same as my full system set up shown HERE).

C14EXHOLE GTM® H-pipe

Mine broke on the right-hand side at ~7300 miles on a trip.
Mine broke on the right side at 10000 miles. One side of the nut had a bad weld that broke free then the other weld pulled thru. I was lucky that it could be welded back in place at a local shop.
20160702 175930 1

Todd,

Your efforts in making durable replacement parts are appreciated by all I am sure. You clearly see the problem that the Piaggio engineers missed. Simply put, it is not very smart to make the crossover an integral part of the header in for this bike and that every weld is not a candidate for robots.

I find it a little surprising though that I have not received a letter from Moto Guzzi (Piaggio) telling me that they "goofed" and will extend their warranty for the exhaust system to 10 years or 100,000 miles. Before you start to think "that is crazy, nobody would do that!" think of Kia & Hyundai. True, they are manufacturers of automobiles, industrial engines, heavy equipment, tanker ships, etc., yet they have figured out how to do this and have profited greatly. I also realize that you have no control over how Piaggio runs their business. But, I have read here in this forum that you state that you have contacts inside of Moto Guzzi and Piaggio. Do you think these people would be interested in hearing from you that they have created a real winner in the California, but that they need to step up and be proactive about correcting their mistakes for the people who have taken a chance on this new flagship motorcycle?

I am interested to read your response.

An exhaust should come under emissions warranty which is 5 years some odd miles mandated for a lot of vehicles. I questioned a friend of mine who is in the car business about that and he said Guzzi probably gets around that because there is a minimum number of vehicles you have to produce before it applies. He told me a number I forget but I remember saying they are safe.

Moto Guzzi won't even give Todd the respect of an invite over when they unveil their new models to the bike mags, you think they give a rat's ass about his opinions on their quality? It makes absolutely no sense to me why they don't. If it wasn't for him and this website I would have already gotten frustrated and sold both of mine.

Mine broke on the right-hand side at ~7300 miles on a trip.

Add me to the list of broken crossovers. Mine broke at 17800 miles (guess I'm lucky!). I was riding the twisty foot hills in southeastern Ohio last weekend and the exhaust crossover piece let loose. I managed to find an auto parts store 10 miles away and make a parking lot repair.
I bought some exhaust tape that becomes solid once it is heated up and a couple of stainless steel worm gear type clamps. Pushed the pipe back together and wrapped tightly with the tape. Then clamped around the crossover pipe. I used a second clamp around the main pipe just in front of the flex pipe and looped it over the worm screw of the other clamp. As I tightened it pulled the pipes tight together. Finished the ride without anymore issues. The fix has 650 miles on it. The only issue is my buddy riding behind was being gassed out by the chemical smell of the tape! I plan on having a local shop weld (and gusset) the pipes back together.
I figured that even though there is a flex pipe connecting the mufflers to the header, the long mufflers still create a significant lever and those welds on the crossover take all of the stress. It could use a slip fit connection between the sides or another flex pipe in the crossover. IMO...

20160924 133130 resize 20160924 133754 resize 20160924 133803 resize

Add me to the list of broken crossovers. Mine broke at 17800 miles (guess I'm lucky!).
That you are. Most crack sooner. I am trying my best to keep one of my offerings on the shelf, which I do have currently;

That you are. Most crack sooner. I am trying my best to keep one of my offerings on the shelf, which I do have currently;

Thanks Todd! I've heard nothing but good things about your products and I just might take you up on that. We'll see if it can be welded back together locally first. I'd really like to put your full exhaust and remapping system on the bike but it's just not in the budget right now.:(

Back