• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Micro Swirl Windshield Edging

Garwood

Maintaining a Low Profile!
GT Contributor
Since I got my (NOS) 2014 Stelvio last fall, I have been extremely happy with it....except for one thing. The wind noise that gets around stock shield is bad. At freeway speeds it leaves my ears ringing after only a short ride. Even with ear plugs in place! I tried a Cal Scientific windshield and didn't like the way it fit the mounts and it wasn't any better, despite being quite a bit taller.

In searching for an answer I came across the SAENG/TA website. They have a number of interesting motorcycle related products, including a windshield edging they call a "Micro Swirl Generator".

http://www.saeng.com/category.php?category=80

Their claim for the edging is that it creates eddies of air as it comes over the windshield which act like ball bearings to smooth and quiet the air as well as enlarging the pocket behind the shield. They claim a reduction in helmet buffeting and noise. While it sounded good it also sounded a bit far fetched, but being desperate for a solution to the noise I decided to try it. The stuff arrived yesterday and it finally stopped raining enough to try it this afternoon.

Wonder of wonders, the stuff really works. The wind noise was dramatically reduced.

I am six feet tall and ride with the stock windshield in the highest position. Even so, without the new edging the blast over the top of the windshield hit my helmet right above my forehead and whoosed by at high volume. If I ducked my head a few inches it got quiet. I also found that it only took putting my fingers from my left hand up above the center of the windshield about two inches to get rid of the roar.

With the Micro Swirl Edging in place, the roaring is gone and the wind noise is reduced at practically all speeds, high and low. Now if I put my fingers above the center of the windshield, there is no difference in noise and I don't feel the wind hitting them until they are about twice as high above the shield as before. At 70 MPH I now have to stretch and raise myself up in the saddle to get my helmet into the wind stream high enough to hear the noise from before. It's really pretty amazing, considering it's just a rubber edging. And on the Stelvio, it really doesn't look out of place.
Gar Jorgenson
Buffalo, Wyoming IMG 20160526 132712378

I had that on my EV years ago. On that bike it only helped because it thinned my wallet out and I sat lower.
I also had a 'Laminar Lip'. Same thing. That came off the EV in Florida, and I didn't even care.

I now have something called a X-screen, or such. That works as far has directing the wind off of my face, but I may have made the noise worse. I'm still experimenting with that.

I've had the SAENG edging on my extra-height GIVI windshield on my '09 for several years now, and it makes a difference in reducing buffeting. It makes sense that it would work, since it throws the air a couple inches higher than the stock windshield edge ....

Lannis

I got the edging for my 2013 stelvio. It works as advertised and looks good. It makes the shield look finished.
It is quieter and less buffeting by a lot. I will buy for the next bike i get because there is always room in the barn....!

I installed a Calif. Scientific windshield about 8,000 miles ago. I agree about the poor fit, the curvature didn't match up with the brackets, but I flexed it and snugged it down. Haven't had any problems with that. I have the windshield set about midway on the adjustments, and I can ride most of the time with my faceshield up and no turbulence or wind blast. I'm happy with it. I also had the Saeng edging on a different bike, a Kawasaki Concours. It seemed to move the airstream up about an inch.

Back