• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2010 V7 Cafe Clutch Failing?

Dan Porges

Just got it firing!
I have a 2010 V7 with only 368 miles on it now. I just bought it from the original owner and it has not even had its first service yet (which its going in for shortly). From the day I brought it home the clutch has engaged only a few millimeters from the bar, almost too abruptly to smoothly ride away from a stop, but never felt like more than maybe a small cable adjustment was needed.
Today on the ride to work i was dealing with a fair amount of traffic and was on and off the clutch a lot as would be expected. After a few miles of this the bike was giving me a lot of trouble finding neutral and when I would come to a stop in gear the engine would bog down and eventually would stall out. Once off, neutral would engage and I could restart with ease. If I tried to restart in gear the bike would try to move forward on its own and while FULLY holding the clutch lever pinned to the bar, giving any gas would cause the bike to creep forward.
Seems to me the clutch was not cleanly disengaging and starting to overheat. Started smelling this as well. Any suggestions on whether this is adjustable at the cable at all or is this something that requires a deeper amount of clutch work on the bike?

The cable will get hot and stretch in heavy traffic. There are instructions in the manual to adjust it at the lever. It can be adjusted at the transmission as well. If it's going in for service, you can have the dealer do it. I would at least try to adjust it at the lever before you ride it anymore.

I have to at least ride home, but wont have traffic to contend with in that direction at least. Is this something that is going to be an ongoing issue? Do they make cables for these bikes that dont stretch like this? I have had many bikes over the years, this is the first time that has ever been an issue (if it is the issue)....
What about the release point being so far into the bar, is this normal or was it already way out of adjustment?

Just way out of adjustment Dan. Once the cable stretches initially, it will be minimal from there. Nothing to worry about. Just get it adjusted correctly and enjoy the bike.

Adjust the cable at the lever before you ride it home. It really should be a couple of minute job, unless the Guzzi clutch cable adjustment is vastly different than the bikes I've had that use a cable.

Last question, anyone know if the factory tool kit has the right size wrenches to do this adjustment? I dont have any other tools with me so figured I would ask... To be honest, i havent even looked at where the factory tool kit is yet on this bike, complete noob move!

Dan, if it's like my 7 yr old V7, then all you need are a pair of pliers for the knurled locknut.
You might not even need that. It might be finger-tight.

As stated above, there is a threaded adjuster under the rubber boot at the lever. That may or may not fix the problem. If it doesn't, there is an adjuster arm on the back of the transmission that is difficult to get to and adjust. I recommend letting a dealer or good shop do it.

So end of the day came and went, I feel like a rookie having asked some of the panicked questions in retrospect. For the record, been riding and racing for 30 years now so far from a rookie!!!
That said, i adjusted the lever under the boot as mentioned and was easily able to deal with some traffic on the way home. I did find, as also stated, this morning i found it stretched again and still went from releasing about 75% of the way our on the lever to closer to 30-40%, but I can handle that if i know its coming. I also found that once I starting moving it seems to go back to about 60% or so.
I still think the cable on this bike may just be a weak one to be stretching quite that easily, but the bike did sit for nearly 5 years so maybe its just due for replacement.

I found that 1mm about 40 thousands at he lever COLD works well when hot. at that point it will be 3 times that. and yes it will stretch for 4000 miles. don't touch the back unless you know what you are doing.

don't touch the back unless you know what you are doing.
Agreed, but worth noting: Do check to see that the arm at the transmission has some free play. If it doesn't, take it to someone that does ASAP.

Are clutch and shifting problem common on the newer V7s?
I have 112 miles on my V7 and went for a ride on a hot Summer day (99f) and stopped for 5 minutes, when I took back off, I couldn't get it into 2nd. I have adjusted the clutch ( on the bar) when it cooled off; no help.
Nearest dealer Portland, Or. I'm in Boise, Idaho (300+ miles). I'd feel better if it was an old bike :(

Back