• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

high pitch tapping sound R cyl. & light backfiring -

To the original poster, YouTube.com has many videos under "how to pick up a heavy motorcycle". There are standard techniques demonstrated in the videos that you may find useful.

There ARE a lot of videos out there on "picking up a dropped motorcycle". As I went through them, I was looking for one that:

1) Was a tall heavy motorcycle like a Stelvio and not a low-rider cruiser just sort of rolled onto its crash bars or was not a DR350 that weighed half what a Stelvio weighs.

2) Was a demo on a bike that had gone OVER like they do, not just sort of resting on the bags and handgrip, but with the wheels pointing up in the air at about a 30 degree angle.

3) Was in a roadway, probably a busy intersection, with a bunch of cars held up behind, blowing their horns, the rider is mad and frustrated at himself for dropping it, the adrenalin is rushing, and you can't remember a thing about how you're SUPPOSED to pick up the bike rather than just throw your back out trying to brute-force it up.

Now THAT'S a challenge! However, if you check out enough of the videos, you'll find enough to get you through 1) and 2). For 3), you're just going to have to have it happen to you!

Thanks for the heads-up. Next time my sons are over here, we're going to lay the Stelvio over on a blanket and try it .....

Lannis

I will only comment on the "resurrection" aspects of this post, as I am as clueless as a virgin in a brothel about the technical issues. :think:

So, my own technique for doing this has evolved over time, with "time" including five -- yes, FIVE! :cry: -- hernia-repair surgeries. Yes, I am a slow, but ernest, learner.

So ... when this occurred about five years ago ...

IMGP9538_zps4eb1d800.jpg

... on Eggleston Road in SW Virginia (very near BFE), I decided not to be a hero. Instead, I flagged down (a very comely lass of a) mail-carrier. When I saw she was inexplicably dressed as for a meal that evening at Sardi's, I just asked her if she knew someone to call. She said -- and I swear I am not making this up -- "We can do this," and hopped down into that ditch to help me.

That didn't last long as she soon discovered how heavy that beast is. But, undeterred, she jumped out again and onto the road and stood there 'til two local bubbas in a Ford pickup -- complete, of course, with the obligatory window decal of a Ford kid urinating (my sweet and indulgent wife hates the "p" word, so I play along :inlove:) on a Chevy -- came by.

Virtually ordered out of their truck, the big strapping fellows took about four seconds to get the Norge upright. Miss USPS thanked them, as did I ... with an Alexander Hamilton. I'll never get myself to say Harriet Tubman. ;)

So, have at it if you will (and can) lift your motorcycle. I prefer my method. :clap:

Best wishes to the OP and other posters for a solution to the real concerns here.

Bill

P.S. If you wondered how I managed to get myself into that pickle, it was stopping to take a photo. Pulled off on to the (too) tiny shoulder and discovered in the time it takes to say "Oh, s...!" (anther word Kathi frowns upon, and I try to suppress my Army career's frequent use of such for her :inlove:] the front wheel pivoted on the unseen mud and down I and it went. Amazingly, the Norge sustained almost zero damage as the right side was cushioned by grass and open ditch. :angel:

Bill -

Good experience ... for us! Thanks for the heads up. Read it with Fay and she agreed that the lass could probably have had the boys in the truck lowing and eating grass like a cow in 5 minutes, much less picking up a motorcycle.

I don't think I want any picture enough to pull onto that steep narrow muddy shoulder with a loaded sport-tourer! I look for nice flat paved places these days - even gravel makes me nervous sometimes ....

Lannis

problem is that the videos are of Harleys and Gold wings. big heavy beasts YES! But they have low centers of gravity. the Stelvio is way too top heavy compared to them and much harder to lift up.
And yes I have owned all three bikes.

problem is that the videos are of Harleys and Gold wings. big heavy beasts YES! But they have low centers of gravity. the Stelvio is way too top heavy compared to them and much harder to lift up.
And yes I have owned all three bikes.

BMW GS Adventure no bags Men videos

BMW GS Adventure no bags Women videos

Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 NTX no bags video

Thank you all yet again. I did ride into the dawn/downpour of NH towards Montana and after five days and 2000miles decided that:
1) the tappet sound will remain between 2000-3500 and i shall live!
2) there s no way to be an open face helmet rider and a vegetarian in the American North ... too damned many bugs!
3) if you are really headed for the sticks and not Terminator or Rocky, carry 50' of straps and a ratchet and FALL ONLY on trails with trees (been there and done that, and it works!)
4) over the days, the ass sores that began around mile 300 only get WoRSE (and I mean worse, sheepskin and neosporin/bike panties, etc... all proved useless)
5) when you reach Winnipeg and its 96F and you cant see through the bugs on your visor or glasses, and cant even sit in a bar, forget pygmi ponies and Montana... the wise thing is to turn back and hope to return after only another five days of (monotonous) Hell (OK maybe Im a whimp - but this was just nearly as painful as the cancer surgery i am trying to get over with this bike, whence the final question here...)
6) any short bodied Stelvio rider tried a Corbin seat or can give me direct experience with alternatives?

Ride safe, far, and FUN! and always, grazie a tutti.

N

Attachments

• IMG_20160723_161721.jpg
    IMG_20160723_161721.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 8
any short bodied Stelvio rider tried a Corbin seat or can give me direct experience with alternatives?
No experience on a Stelvio but on My BMW R1200GS it helped immensely. I had the lowered model and the stock seat was the worst I had ever sat on.
Nice bridge shot.

Regarding videos of bikes being righted, thanks BUT
1. With a quarter tank of gas on a clean asphalt or concrete surface, I can manage it. But NOT with 8 gallons in the tank

2. much less on a wet and rocky gulley...I was just hoping there was some technique. In my case, my heels dug into the wet ground so that I ended up physically lower than the bike - thats when I pulled out the straps and ratchet.

Thanks all the same!

Back to the Tapping sound... Recently my 09 Stelvio wanted to only idle on one cylinder after warm up (an issue I'm still struggling with)... I did valve adjustment, even pulled injectors to see fuel was flowing through them (that was a DUH thing to do because once you give her a little throttle everything else seems to smooth out, definitely not fuel)... but, to the point.

I kept hearing a loud tapping sound that I THOUGHT was coming from the cylinder. Ultimately, I narrowed down the sound to the transmission at low speed making a tapping sound that I could not hear with the engine at operating speed.

Are you sure that the sound is from the cylinder?

hello Nicolai. hope you are well, I believe to have the same problem you had..did you fix it ? what was the problem ? thanks so much to let me know

Back