• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Hot Start issues

scrublink

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Is anyone else having issues with starting after fuel stops and such. The bike fires right off cold, but when hot, she just cranks for a minimum of 10 seconds to sometimes 4 or 5 tries of 20 or so seconds. Embarrassing for such a beautiful lady.

Idea, comments?

Thanks

You do the Moaning Whale mod? Guessing no.

It also does if I take the cap off. I haven't looked at the design of the vent system but I am surprised that taking the cap off didn't help.

You do the Moaning Whale mod? Guessing no.
I performed the moaning whale mod. Rode it 1600 miles and I still have the hot start issue. Is anyone else out there having this issue. Sometimes I have to crank the starter for about three minutes total time. Am I operating this machine incorrectly? Should I retire from riding :)

Last edited:
How does it run after it starts?

If it is coughing & running rough for a bit maybe take a look at the pipes to see if it is puffing black smoke.
If it is then you may be overfilling & flooding the evap cannister or a sensor is telling the computer that it is a cold engine so it dumps more fuel.

if it struggles to gain RPM's & there is no raw fuel smell +/or no black smoke then it may be a very lean condition with not enough fuel for the bike to start.

If it runs normal then I'm gonna have to think on it for a bit.

How does it run after it starts?

If it is coughing & running rough for a bit maybe take a look at the pipes to see if it is puffing black smoke.
If it is then you may be overfilling & flooding the evap cannister or a sensor is telling the computer that it is a cold engine so it dumps more fuel.

if it struggles to gain RPM's & there is no raw fuel smell +/or no black smoke then it may be a very lean condition with not enough fuel for the bike to start.

If it runs normal then I'm gonna have to think on it for a bit.
It runs like a champ after it starts. No stumbling, no black smoke. It got a little better after the Moaning Whale Mod but its still not what I consider to be an acceptable situation. I did leave the one hose to the evaporative system on (step ten of the mod that was listed as optional) but I wouldn't think that would make this much of a difference.

Sounds like you may have a sensor reporting bad information. Take a run over to AJs so they can hook her up to diagnostics and see if they can figure out which one is out of range.

Sounds like you may have a sensor reporting bad information. Take a run over to AJs so they can hook her up to diagnostics and see if they can figure out which one is out of range.
They ran it through their computer at 1000 miles. No issues found.

I did leave the one hose to the evaporative system on (step ten of the mod that was listed as optional) but I wouldn't think that would make this much of a difference.
It will if it is blocked.. .some are as delivered. Worth checking.

Both sides? One end goes to the evap cann. This is the one that should breathe.

Both sides? One end goes to the evap cann. This is the one that should breathe.
I blew through from the "valve" end of that hose. But left the hose in place on the canister. I disconnected the vacuum line and plugged the port.

OK, then my guess is that it is service related: Valve lash, TPS and/or mapping, plugs/plug wires.

OK, then my guess is that it is service related: Valve lash, TPS and/or mapping, plugs/plug wires.
Would any of this shown up with the MG Diagnostic Tool. The dealer ran it through and the report came out clean. Valves checked out also when they checked the lash.

Would any of this shown up with the MG Diagnostic Tool. The dealer ran it through and the report came out clean. Valves checked out also when they checked the lash.

An out of range sensor will not throw an error code. You have to look at the readings and see if they make sense. In other words, verify the information from the sensor. Just because there are no error codes doesn't mean a sensor is correct. I've replace many temperature sensors that reported incorrect information, but there was no error code.

Mine just started doing something similar. 2014 Tour, 9800kms. Until this oat week it would start fist time every time. Push the start button, turns over two or three times and it's running. No throttle needed. Brought it to the dealer to have an oil leak looked at a and a klunk in the front brake. Next time I started it, it took three tries, and I had to play with the throttle. After about 10-15 seconds it was idling normal. That is the first start of the day. Came home from work and after moving the car to make room for the bike, it wouldn't start properly at all. It would turn over, catch for a second then stall. Had to re-start and play with the throttle. Then after 10-15 seconds again it ran normally.

I got the bike back from the dealer a couple of weeks ago and have exposed it to various starting scenarios. No issues at all now. When I followed up with the dealer, the technician said all he did was reset the factory defaults.

Starts like it should, hot or cold, or even in between.

Didn't ride for a week, when I went out the battery was dead, so I took it out and out it on charge overnight. The next day it ran like a champ, started right up cold or warm. So I guess whatever happened to the electronics reset with the battery out. Going to wire in my battery tender in the next couple of days.

Hi guys
I have exactly same issue with starting hot bike. It is shame to start it on fuel stop after many attempts. I tried reset autolearning parameters from Guzzidiag, I tried enrich or lean fuel maps and still have this problem over year. Valve clearence adjusted, battery and spark plugs changed. Last thing is to check that vapour system but I am thinking this will not help me ass well. If you have any other suggestions I will be glad to try it.
Thanks

Back