• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Lift point / service stand for rear wheel removal

ploose

Tuned and Synch'ed
Anybody changed a tire yet or took the rear wheel off? Try to find a solution for an easy way to jack and take rear wheel off for rear gear oil change and tire in the future. Pics are welcome. Thanks in advance!

P

All,

I got my rear wheel off as well, to change the rear wheel gear oil (after break in) and to see what to do when needing a new tire. Shop manual is vague about the necessary details. Here my summary:

- 32mm nut / socket for axle, and size 40 allen for counter hold (right side at gear assembly), 100 Nm for torque of 32mm nut.
- Rear wheel and tire very tight in swing space, be careful not to scratch wheel when taking / handling break caliber , taped with masking tape to protect wheel.
- Took off rear panier bar (rear piece) and license plate assembly to get wheel out...yes it is all that tight back there (ground clearance and lateral clearance, unless you jack jack up way high to drop wheel out ..I did not feel comfortable doing that.
- Took off exhaust after crossover pipe.
- Lifting point at cross member on rear swing assembly (front of rear tire), support with wood blocks then hydraulic jack, front of bike supported with front wheel choke.
- Lack of space, securing break caliper, IT WAS MORE DIFFICULT than on my Cafe Sport! What a bitch job this was for a basic maintenance routine!

Attachments

• Raer wheel taped.jpg
    Raer wheel taped.jpg
    790.6 KB · Views: 1,116
  • Wheel Choke.jpg
    Wheel Choke.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,120
  • Jack position 2.jpg
    Jack position 2.jpg
    768.4 KB · Views: 1,116
ploose said:
Anybody changed a tire yet or took the rear wheel off? Try to find a solution for an easy way to jack and take rear wheel off for rear gear oil change and tire in the future. Pics are welcome. Thanks in advance!
P

Missed this Peter. I've pulled a few now for rear drive service. They are a major PITA. Awful design really. Per what John says above is good advice. I have a lift with removal able rear panel for the tire, and a bike/scissor jack. I recommend leaving the plastic trim ring off once you do the first service, so you won't have to pull the rim each time for service. It won't look as nice, but I'm a function over form guy when it comes to basic service.

I use a generic motorcycle lift intended I believe for Harleys.

The front lifts first, even when the lift is positioned as far back as possible. Tying the front down should alleviate this problem.

kiwi dave said:
I use a generic motorcycle lift intended I believe for Harleys.

The front lifts first, even when the lift is positioned as far back as possible. Tying the front down should alleviate this problem.

Dave,

what's the name of the producer of this lift?

ploose said:
Dave,

what's the name of the producer of this lift?

The only marking I can find on it is "X-Tech". I believe there are several variants out there, I just tried this one and it worked.

Sorry I can't be of any further help.

Header Pipes look like the motor is running hot.

My runs lean looking at the rear of my pipe but my headers have no discolor.

Just a observation.

ploose said: "32mm nut / socket for axle, and size 40 allen for counter hold (right side at gear assembly)"

I want to assemble the tools I need before I jack up my Cali to pull the wheel. Without pulling the right-hand muffler it's near impossible to see what size wrench is needed. I get the impression by looking at the end of the axle that it's some metric size that's 20 mm or somewhat smaller. I'm not sure what ploose means by a "size 40 allen," any help?

It's 14mm hex.

wforider said:

This happened when I was riding the bike in California, where temperatures can get quite warm. Since the photo was taken I have replaced the pipes under warranty, and there's no sign of discoloration yet in the milder Kiwi temperatures.

I flatted out yesterday and will be changing out the rear tire. Have not had first service yet (1500 miles currently).

1) I am pretty new to working on bikes. Is this a pretty beginner job?
2) Should I be doing the rear gear oil change since I will have the wheel off anyways? If so, where would I find the steps I need to perform this?
3) Anything else I should accomplish at this time.

Thanks in advance!

My runs lean looking at the rear of my pipe but my headers have no discolor.

Just a observation.

Mine look the same. I attribute it to poor design. The heat shield is attached to the header pipe at the flange, the hottest part of the exhaust (before getting to the catalytic converter). A better idea might have been to allow an air gap between the chrome heat shield and the header flange so there is not so much heat transfer.

They are a major PITA. Awful design really. Per what John says above is good advice.

I recommend leaving the plastic trim ring off once you do the first service, so you won't have to pull the rim each time for service. It won't look as nice, but I'm a function over form guy when it comes to basic service.

Todd,

I couldn't agree more. Add to that the lack of grease on the rear drive spline making it especially "fun" the first time the rear wheel needs to be removed. And, WHO was the Italian intern engineer that decided it would be a good idea to cover the drain port for the rear drive lube? Stupid!

I like your suggestion of leaving the rear drive trim piece off so the rear drive oil can be drained without needing to remove the rear wheel. Regarding appearances; I can't even see the rear drive on my California under normal conditions so leaving the trim off is a "no-brainer".

Anybody changed a tire yet or took the rear wheel off? Try to find a solution for an easy way to jack and take rear wheel off for rear gear oil change and tire in the future.

I got my rear wheel off as well, to change the rear wheel gear oil (after break in) and to see what to do when needing a new tire. Shop manual is vague about the necessary details.

It might help to check out this post:

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/rear-wheel-removal-what-the-manual-doesnt-tell-you.15229/

I put this up after the first time removing the rear wheel. I agree, a real PITA.

ploose said: "32mm nut / socket for axle, and size 14 allen for counter hold (right side at gear assembly)"

I want to assemble the tools I need before I jack up my Cali to pull the wheel. Without pulling the right-hand muffler it's near impossible to see what size wrench is needed. I get the impression by looking at the end of the axle that it's some metric size that's 20 mm or somewhat smaller. I'm not sure what ploose means by a "size 40 allen," any help?[/QUOT

P

All,

I got my rear wheel off as well, to change the rear wheel gear oil (after break in) and to see what to do when needing a new tire. Shop manual is vague about the necessary details. Here my summary:

- 32mm nut / socket for axle, and size 40

P

All,

- 32mm nut / socket for axle, and size 40 allen for counter hold (right side at gear assembly), 100 Nm for torque of 32mm nut.
- Rear wheel and tire very tight in swing space, be careful not to scratch wheel when taking / handling break caliber , taped with masking tape to protect wheel.
- Took off rear panier bar (rear piece) and license plate assembly to get wheel out...yes it is all that tight back there (ground clearance and lateral clearance, unless you jack jack up way high to drop wheel out ..I did not feel comfortable doing that.
- Lifting point at cross member on rear swing assembly (front of rear tire), support with wood blocks then hydraulic jack, front of bike supported with front wheel choke.
- Lack of space, securing break caliper, IT WAS MORE DIFFICULT than on my Cafe Sport! What a bitch job this was for a basic maintenance routine!

allen for counter hold (right side at gear assembly), 100 Nm for torque of 32mm nut.

Back