• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

GPS/Phone mount

Robert Gibson

High Miler
GT Contributor
Image Image Image
I found this chrome mount from Vizon-X. The mount originally comes with a 17mm chrome ball to accept Garmin units but after consulting Gregg at Vizon he said he could swap out the 17mm ball with a 1" RAM ball. He did point out however that the mount is intended for 1" and 1 1/4" bars (I had it originally fitted to my BMW Montauk Cruiser).
I have removed the original shim (too small) and had a machinist colleague make me a new one from nylon although I'm sure a wrap of inner tube or similar would suffice.

I have no connection with Vizon-X, but found their custom service to be excellent.

If only Moto Guzzi would give us 1 1/4" handle bars and 1 1/4" roll over bars for bike conceived of and designed for the American market. Installing 30mm diameter bars shows a lack of understanding of their market. I bought the clamp similar to the one you show but after being (again) frustrated at getting a proper fit like I had fitting highway pegs I gave up and bought a commercial 1 1/8" u-bolt to attach my GPS unit.

I found a ball mount from Ram that uses one of the handle bar Allen screws to mount. Fits perfect and no need to wrestle with odd diameter bars. God knows I'm fighting that battle right now with my highway pegs on the tipover bars right now

I found a ball mount from Ram that uses one of the handle bar Allen screws to mount. Fits perfect and no need to wrestle with odd diameter bars. God knows I'm fighting that battle right now with my highway pegs on the tipover bars right now

I have one of those on my other bike and will be removing the GPS cradle from it soon. I think I'll transfer it over to the California. You are right, it makes a nice, clean looking installation using that RAM ball.

FYI, there are a couple of threads here about mounting highway pegs. I used the Kuryakyn 1 1/4" quick-clamps and a 1" wide thin (about 1/16" thk) rubber strip under the clamp. An strip cut from an old inner tube would work. I have ridden over 10,000 miles with that arrangement and the pegs have stayed put for me.

Hey RV, I've used the rubber tube under the clamps, I've tried some thin aluminum under the clamps as well, neither worked too well as after a couple of rides, the pegs shifted and slid around. Going to try again though, those bars and pegs aren't smarter than I am!!!

Hey RV, I've used the rubber tube under the clamps, I've tried some thin aluminum under the clamps as well, neither worked too well as after a couple of rides, the pegs shifted and slid around. Going to try again though, those bars and pegs aren't smarter than I am!!!

I might just be lucky in my application of the rubber strip. I think if it didn't work the next step I would take would be to drill and pin the clamp to the bar. But, you'd need to be real certain of the orientation of the clamp since the ability to rotate it after pinning would go away.

TechMount, http://www.techmounts.com/index.php, has a nice selection of mounts. There are entries in their product filters for Moto Guzzi California's.

The handlebar mounts I use on my '78 Lemans and my 1400 Cali came with 3 non-slip bushings. I took one on a trip to the UK to mount on an H-D Fat Bob (rental), fitted in moments and no slippage.

TechMount also has a range of specialty plates to match 4 hole AMPs pattern mounting points.

Back