• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Ouch!? Unknown noise

sanddweller

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
On the way home last night (dark), pulled up at an intersection, and there was a sickening sort of loud double 'clunk' noise from below as I stopped at the intersection. Sounded like it was on the left side, but difficult to tell with helmet and tunes on.
(I'd been riding a commute - about 30km each way, and was on the return leg - Not sparing it.)
Engine was still running, and pulled away ok, but immediately pulled out of traffic to side, turned her off and took a look. Nothing untoward. Started again ok, and moved off ok. Seemed to be ok for the next 4-5km, then heard a similar but lesser clunking - just once more - this time as taking off from a standstill at an intersection and turning right. Again I pulled over, but it seemed ok. Revved the engine a few times and it sounded fine. Gingerly made the remainder (7km) of the rest of the journey home.
Took a longer look over the bike today engine starts and runs fine (with only the usual noises) - and while I haven't been out for a ride yet - nothing seems out of sorts - with one exception.
The Rubber seal for he inspection port is missing. (I think that's what it is - photo attached).
Capture
I'm not really sure what the noise is/was and haven't been out on the bike today, or had a chance to do anything about it. After reading this thread (http://www.grisoghetto.com/t459p30-big-girl-blew-me) I'm wondering if the clutch is dead/dying. Interesting that in the thread the OP reported also losing the Inspection port plug.
The crunching clunk is a real concern - not something you want to hear coming from any motor.

Appreciate any comment/suggestions/advice.
What experiences has anyone had with a clutch letting go on the Stelvio (if that's what it is).
Mine is a '12 NTX with just over 36,800 km on the clock. (22,800 miles)
thanks,
--geoff

Cautiously took her out for a spin today - and she didnt miss a beat. So - no idea what the 'clunk'/'crunch' was - maybe just didnt engage a gear completely a couple of times... although i cant imagine that's all it was.. Will remain puzzled until I've done a bunch more miles (or something lets go), I guess...

Have no idea on your noise. I have a 12' NTX with just over 15K miles on and it has the clutch groan when cold, all sorts of clunks from the tranny under certain conditions and so on. I just ride the crap out of it and so far it keeps on truckin. I might wonder where your timing plug went. Its possible its wondering around in your bell housing maybe? Not saying that it's causing the noise but who knows. Might see if you can see anything in there. Pull the starter and look around some. Cant hurt.
Goose

On the way home last night (dark), pulled up at an intersection, and there was a sickening sort of loud double 'clunk' noise from below as I stopped at the intersection. Sounded like it was on the left side, but difficult to tell with helmet and tunes on.
(I'd been riding a commute - about 30km each way, and was on the return leg - Not sparing it.)
Engine was still running, and pulled away ok, but immediately pulled out of traffic to side, turned her off and took a look. Nothing untoward. Started again ok, and moved off ok. Seemed to be ok for the next 4-5km, then heard a similar but lesser clunking - just once more - this time as taking off from a standstill at an intersection and turning right. Again I pulled over, but it seemed ok. Revved the engine a few times and it sounded fine. Gingerly made the remainder (7km) of the rest of the journey home.
Took a longer look over the bike today engine starts and runs fine (with only the usual noises) - and while I haven't been out for a ride yet - nothing seems out of sorts - with one exception.
The Rubber seal for he inspection port is missing. (I think that's what it is - photo attached).
View attachment 8776
I'm not really sure what the noise is/was and haven't been out on the bike today, or had a chance to do anything about it. After reading this thread (http://www.grisoghetto.com/t459p30-big-girl-blew-me) I'm wondering if the clutch is dead/dying. Interesting that in the thread the OP reported also losing the Inspection port plug.
The crunching clunk is a real concern - not something you want to hear coming from any motor.

Appreciate any comment/suggestions/advice.
What experiences has anyone had with a clutch letting go on the Stelvio (if that's what it is).
Mine is a '12 NTX with just over 36,800 km on the clock. (22,800 miles)
thanks,
--geoff

Its been over a year since the issue reported here, and the bike has been ok, but now clutch is starting to slip a bit, and I'll be looking at a replacement soon. (I posted earlier if there was a tutorial on this, but no responses :-/) Not sure if to tackle this myself to save labour costs.

Anyways, I had the starter off (for the first time) last night, and found this (see photo) ... Looks like there was shrapnel loose in there!
I've no idea what it was, but something wasn't/isn't right. Reading through the thread on GrisoGhetto (referenced in my orig post), they claim Guzzi made some changes (but no recall) on the clutch assembly.n

Just wondering if anyone has had any serious clutch issues (other than the typical cold groan, and neutral rattle).

thanks,
--geoff
(fwiw, My bike was new in 2012, MY11, AC with roller followers)
Starter Fly

Seen that before. Could be your clutch springs have broke. That was probably the sound you heard before. Parts will break off and jam on the gear and starter. See if you can fish a magnet down now that the starter is off. You will most likely find bits of spring.

Not a good scenario I am afraid. You may want to start that clutch replacement sooner before the plate lets go. There is a new part number for the clutch plate and pressure plate. There were some but not a lot ofclutches with this issue but it is not the first.

Seen that before. Could be your clutch springs have broke. That was probably the sound you heard before. Parts will break off and jam on the gear and starter. See if you can fish a magnet down now that the starter is off. You will most likely find bits of spring.

Not a good scenario I am afraid. You may want to start that clutch replacement sooner before the plate lets go. There is a new part number for the clutch plate and pressure plate. There were some but not a lot ofclutches with this issue but it is not the first.

Yep. Based on the other post figured something like that. It's been over a year and the clutch has only started slipping so it didn't "stop" me, although I'd have generally expected more than 50000km from a clutch plate.

I lost 2 of those rubber covers before the clutch finally gave up the ghost, had the new clutch in now for 20,000kms and have not lost a rubber cover since. May be it is built in pre-alert system, if you loose the rubber grommet, replace the clutch!!!!

Back