• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New V7 II Stone. New to the forum. New Bike, New Leak

Guy Arnone

Just got it firing!
Hello Everyone!

Have enjoyed reading the forum as I researched my new purchase. Picked up the new V7 II Stone. Put about 100 miles on it so far and love it. It's been really hot here in NYC and today after some traffic I noticed a little brake fluid leaking out of the brake fluid tank( coming out from the between the lid and the tank) on the handle bars. After I had it home for a while I went to run and errand and it seems to have stopped. On a scale of 1-10,, how worried should I be. #itsitalianthough

Funny side note, I moved to NYC from Orange, California. Now I see that there's a guzzi tech shop there! Hello to all of my Orange brothers and sisters! Shinny side up, Rubber side down, g

The reservoir may have been over filled. Heat expanded the fluid. Clean around the cover, remove it and check the contents. If the level is OK, clean the rubber gasket and mating surfaces and put the cover back on. You should be fine. You clean around the cover before removal to prevent foreign matter from entering the reservoir.

Probably not a big deal mechanically, reservoir a little overfull or maybe a problem with the cover seal. Short term not a big deal, but get it looked at.

But, not sure what type of brake fluid these use, some fluids are VERY harsh to paint. So make sure to clean it off any painted surface right away just to be safe.

Interesting that this subject comes up just now. My '16 V7II Stone also recently developed seepage of brake fluid from the front reservoir. I removed the cap, wiped everything dry, checked for crud and nicks on the top lip of the reservoir and the sealing edge on the underside of of diaphragm below the cap, and put the cap back on. The fluid level was fine, not too much, not too little. However, on the next ride the seepage started again. I'm provisionally concluding that there is a leak in the membrane of the diaphragm that allows fluid to leak up into the space between it and the cap, and from there out of the cap where there are two tiny slots to relieve pressure above the diaphragm. My bike's still on warranty, so I'll probably get it fixed at the dealer. However, I'm asking if anyone knows of a source for small Brembo bits. The entire cap assembly, including cap, diaphragm, and screws, has the MG part number 2B001928, which I think is the same as Brembo part 110.4308.17 or 110.4308.60, but I'd prefer to get just the diaphragm, if it's available. Any truly knowledgeable Brembo experts here? Thanks.

Last edited:
Interesting that this subject comes up just now. My '16 V7II Stone also recently developed seepage of brake fluid from the front reservoir. I removed the cap, wiped everything dry, checked for crud and nicks on the top lip of the reservoir and the sealing edge on the underside of of diaphragm below the cap, and put the cap back on. The fluid level was fine, not too much, not too little. However, on the next ride the seepage started again. I'm provisionally concluding that there is a leak in the membrane of the diaphragm that allows fluid to leak up into the space between it and the cap, and from there out of the cap where there are two tiny slots to relieve pressure above the diaphragm. My bike's still on warranty, so I'll probably get it fixed at the dealer. However, I'm asking if anyone knows of a source for small Brembo bits. The entire cap assembly, including cap, diaphragm, and screws, has the MG part number 2B001928, which I think is the same as Brembo part 110.4308.17 or 110.4308.60, but I'd prefer to get just the diaphragm, if it's available. Any truly knowledgeable Brembo experts here? Thanks.

It is under warranty. Let the dealer and Moto Guzzi deal with it.

My V7ii Racer does it too. Really annoying. Went for an hour and a half to the dealer to sort it, and they wiped it with a damp rag! They all do that apparently! Brilliant. Excellent backup and excellent quality engineering. No doubt there is an aftermarket item that Guzzi owners can spend even more money on to put the bike right.
I've given up and traded mine in for another Triumph.

Maybe you should choose another dealer. I brought mine into my dealer's shop yesterday. As soon as I told them that I already checked the lid for tightness and inspected the mating surfaces for defects and crud, and found none, they immediately ordered a replacement cap/diaphragm/screws kit on warranty and will replace mine as soon as it arrives (one week estimated).

As an update on my front brake fluid reservoir cap leak problem, yesterday my dealer replaced the lid assembly on warranty and it fixed the leak/seepage problem. The replacement kit is part GU03661145, which is actually an older kit than the V7II part 2B001928 that was leaking. The older kit includes a different diaphragm and an inner plastic cap as well as an outer metal cap. There's no inner cap on the 2B001928 kit. I have to conclude that Brembo tried to save a few pennies on the newer model by eliminating the inner cap and it didn't work out well.

So, to the OP and others who might be having leakage/seepage problems with their front brake fluid reservoirs, replace the lid assembly with the one for the older models and it should fix the problem.

Last edited:
Funny side note, I moved to NYC from Orange, California. Now I see that there's a guzzi tech shop there! Hello to all of my Orange brothers and sisters!
I missed this until now... Congrats on the purchase! Hope you add your info to the Registry page here. Yes, GT Fabrication and Service Center is wide open for business, and busy as hell right now. If you're ever in town, let us know. Keep warm up there, and enjoy the "Seasons."

Sib - has yours now stopped leaking? I just installed the same, older part number as you did and it looks to be much better quality (3 piece). BTW - all road going V7iis I've seen up here have a leak at the front brake MC reservior.

Also, most of the V7ii I've seen are also leaking at the timing cover, where the stator wires come out. I fixed mine myself, and it is fine now. I think most people don't notice this one or don't care.

Sib - has yours now stopped leaking? I just installed the same, older part number as you did and it looks to be much better quality (3 piece). BTW - all road going V7iis I've seen up here have a leak at the front brake MC reservior.

Also, most of the V7ii I've seen are also leaking at the timing cover, where the stator wires come out. I fixed mine myself, and it is fine now. I think most people don't notice this one or don't care.
There has been no further leakage from the front master cylinder reservoir on my '16 V7II Stone since the cap assembly was replaced on warranty more than 700 mi ago. It's interesting that the warranty replacement unit supplied by MG was the older 3-piece version, suggesting to me that MG knows that the newer 2-piece version has problems.
I just checked for leakage from the timing cover where the stator wires emerge. There's no leakage on mine, it's completely dry at nearly 13,000 mi, but I'll keep an eye on it.

That's good. Let me know how you make out with those cheap abs / TC lights...

That's good. Let me know how you make out with those cheap abs / TC lights...
Right now one of them is showing signs of distress (cracking around the periphery). I discussed this with the dealer and we agreed that I should put in a warranty claim before the warranty expires next May. But we decided it would be best to wait until just before then to see if perhaps MG comes up with an upgraded part that is more robust. In any case, I did tell the dealer to expect other owners to need warranty service and that I'd seen other examples of this failure on the web (this forum). I'll post if I learn anything more.

I missed this until now... Congrats on the purchase! Hope you add your info to the Registry page here. Yes, GT Fabrication and Service Center is wide open for business, and busy as hell right now. If you're ever in town, let us know. Keep warm up there, and enjoy the "Seasons."
Thanks! its starting tho cool down here in NYC. The leak was fixed by the dealer along with a couple of other gremlins living inside the bike! Loving it though. I miss Orange, hope its treating you well. g

Another data point. I bought my V7ii Stone and in April, and soon noticed the leaking brake fluid cover. When I finally got around to researching it, I found this thread and ordered the old cover as listed: part ...1145 from AF1. A few days later, it arrived and I installed it immediately... and it's been bone dry since. My closest dealer is an hour and a bridge toll away, and didnt seem to give a damn about the issue when I described it over the phone, so I decided that just paying the $50 was worth foregoing the hassle. Thanks for the info Sib!

As an update on my front brake fluid reservoir cap leak problem, yesterday my dealer replaced the lid assembly on warranty and it fixed the leak/seepage problem. The replacement kit is part GU03661145, which is actually an older kit than the V7II part 2B001928 that was leaking. The older kit includes a different diaphragm and an inner plastic cap as well as an outer metal cap. There's no inner cap on the 2B001928 kit. I have to conclude that Brembo tried to save a few pennies on the newer model by eliminating the inner cap and it didn't work out well.

So, to the OP and others who might be having leakage/seepage problems with their front brake fluid reservoirs, replace the lid assembly with the one for the older models and it should fix the problem.

Agh, thank you for the reference part numbers ... I've been dealing with a seeping reservoir for a full season now. No damage or ill performance as of yet, just ultra annoying.

I'll print this out and give it to the dealer for my last warranty window service, the 6k service. I'm sure they'll love having to read it.

Just so anyone new with this issue gets the deal, I've just recently performed this replacement and have yet to see my weeping cylinder problem come back ... definitely a +1 from me.

Back