• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Goodbye to Guzzi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well....my V7 just gets better and better. Only 3000 miles on it but with a few simple mods the bike now handles and runs great, even on bumpy UK roads with my 70kg weight on it! My experience is that all bikes need a little fettling to get the best out of them.
The Guzzi chassis is well proven and does not have a reputation for tank slappers so if you really did get into one then something somewhere is wrong....maybe your shot rear tyre is the culprit?
Good luck with the Triumph.
AndyB

It's been slapping the tank ever since I bought it. I put it down to being so light, or the roads being bumpy but I rode a friends SV 650 on the same road and the difference was incredible. I think that's when I realised I'd bought the wrong bike. I persevered for another 2000 miles but when I got offered the good deal on the Thruxton it wasn't a hard decision

Funny, every new Bonnie I've had in my shop leaks oil on the floor, just like old times. I've heard an equal amount of issues with them as well. That said, any Euro twin is good in my book compared to a UJM or even Ducati these days IMO. That said, I have a new Thruxton R in my rental fleet now. Replaced the Griso 8V that had lack-luster rentals.
Enjoy and best of luck with it.

Handling issues on any SB V7 is suspension related. I keep hearing this, and you have to dig in (and often spend money) to resolve most often it on a "entry level priced" motorbike purchase. Been that way since well, forever.
£8500 is hardly entry level when you see what the Japs or even Triumph are offering for that amount. I know the V7 bikes are never going to be race replicas but they should at least be able to commute short distances comfortably. Otherwise you have to wonder whether they're fit for purpose.

Sucks you didn't enjoy your Guzzi as much as I do. I road those new Triumphs and they felt lackluster. You can get tank slappers on any bike, regardless of suspension, even on your new Triumph. I've had my own experiences with that as well. A steering damper helps but it can still happen. The rear wheel is no problem to take off. I can do it in the matter of minutes. The stock tires aren't the greatest. I went through mine in just under 5,000mi. I'm trying out Sportec Classics by Metzeler now. So far I really like them and I'm interested in seeing how many miles I get out of them. These bikes were sold with sub par suspension and exhaust. The seepy break resi happens. It's really not a big deal. Don't fill it so high and the problem should go away. New bikes can leak just like old ones. Gaskets are fairly cheap. Nothing to judge a bike over. Just get the gasket replaced for free since it's still under warranty. Just be thankful there aren't as many gaskets as a Harley.

I hope you enjoy your new ride. Take care.

Is it just me? Don't fill it so high? It's a brand new bike I haven't touched the brake reservoir! The dealer may have after the first service, which again brings me back to poor dealer support.
I've ridden over 20000 miles on my Bonnie and 3000 on a T100, never had instability problems.
My old 750T Guzzi never did either and I thrashed it everywhere!
Maybe I just bought a bad example. Either way Guzzi are now relegated to the same division as. Ducati - had one, liked it but probably won't have another!

It's been slapping the tank ever since I bought it. I put it down to being so light, or the roads being bumpy but I rode a friends SV 650 on the same road and the difference was incredible. I think that's when I realised I'd bought the wrong bike. I persevered for another 2000 miles but when I got offered the good deal on the Thruxton it wasn't a hard decision
Jenko, if it's been slapping on more than one occasion it may be worth having an engineer look at it before it leaves your stable. It could well be damaged or faulty in some way. You may get your money back, and more importantly, you may save the subsequent owner's life.
Have any other Sport owners had the same problem? If it is exclusive to you, there's definitely something wrong.

I was going 90mph and hit some bumps on the freeway interchange. I thought I was going to go down but I was able to save it. I also get a good amount of front wheel wobble when hitting the twisties hard (80-100+mph).

Well, that might be your problem. Race track speeds are meant for the race track with a properly prepared bike. Running any stock motorcycle at those speeds on public roads is just stupid.

Jenko this not aimed at you it is obvious that you have been riding awhile & on different bikes.
I'm posting this more for newer riders & from my own experiences on a few different bikes.

Quite a few bikes will produce the tank slap if the grip on the handle bars is too rigid, what I call a death grip having very tight arm, shoulder & neck muscles.

I have found that Guzzi's in general like a very relaxed grip. I had bought a new 2011 Guzzi Black Eagle 1100 & the first time I put her into a curve at 80 she shook her head like a mad horse. I raised the forks in the triple trees & put on different handle bars but mostly learned to relax.

Same experience on a new Victory Gunner & it would do it on the Interstate above 70 on a smooth straight road. I made no modifications just learned to loosen up a bit.

My old 850T (my avatar) the Mille & the Jackal will do it on rough roads in a hard corner. I'm sure some suspension upgrades will make a difference but that will come in the future as time & money allows.

Guzzi is not the only company out there that needs "tweaking or fixing" right off the showroom floor. Vic's, Harleys, Triumphs, Honda's, BMW's, Aprilla's you name it they all need something.

Well, that might be your problem. Race track speeds are meant for the race track with a properly prepared bike. Running any stock motorcycle at those speeds on public roads is just stupid.

90 isn't race track speed around here. Cagers are allowed to do 80 sometimes 85 on the freeways here. I'm not sitting in with the cagers nor am I letting them fly by me. THAT is far more dangerous. I pick my moves very carefully and scan the road all around me probably more than the average rider. I like to get out around traffic into a void and then cruise there until the next pack of cagers.

90 isn't race track speed around here. Cagers are allowed to do 80 sometimes 85 on the freeways here. I'm not sitting in with the cagers nor am I letting them fly by me. THAT is far more dangerous. I pick my moves very carefully and scan the road all around me probably more than the average rider. I like to get out around traffic into a void and then cruise there until the next pack of cagers.

I'm with you on that one. You're right, 90mph is what bikes are made for. I hit that several times on my way to work every day!
Makes me wonder why some people buy bikes in the first place. I think, certainly in England anyway, there is a huge "health & safety" movement. Everyone wears dayglo fluorescent reflective crap, rides ritually at 1mph under the speed limit, tuttuts at you if you're not wearing the latest £1000 helmet and top brand leathers.
When I was a kid and looked at bikes, I remember thinking they were cool, noisy, the riders wore cut-off denims over black leather jackets and scruffy oil-covered jeans, and I wanted to do the same. Had quite a few years of doing just that, but now everyone wants to be Mr Safety. It drives me crazy, (but obviously it drives me in a very sensible, safe and courteous manner)!
Seriously, what is the point of that? No kid ever looked at a health & safety inspector in their safety dayglo jacket, hard hat and goggles and thought "yeah, that's what I want to be!"
I'm not saying that everyone should ride around like speed crazed lunatics, but for pity's sake don't tell someone that 90mph requires a specially set up bike and only on a race track. Get a grip Roadventure.

I'm baffled and shake my head every time I pass another biker when they are sitting in with traffic traveling at the same speeds and sometimes slower. I don't get it, unless you're on a full dresser with bags and you feel it's too difficult to filter through traffic. You're putting yourself in danger while they're thinking, hey I'm being safe cuz I'm going slow... wrong. Most cops around here allow bikers to go 10mph over the speed limit because they know it's safer for the biker to stay out in front of traffic.

Threads like this always make me wonder.

I mean on the one hand you can't blame a guy for ditching a bike that just doesn't do it for him. That's especially true if it's been troublesome.

But on the other hand when his experience is so much different from my own I can't help but start to wonder if he's contributing to the problems or making mountains out of molehills.

And the new Thruxton (he if talking about the new 1200 right?) is such a different thing than a V7 that it adds to the confusion.

Of course at the end of the day it doesn't matter. As long as the guy is happy with his new ride.

I'm not saying that everyone should ride around like speed crazed lunatics, but for pity's sake don't tell someone that 90mph requires a specially set up bike and only on a race track. Get a grip Roadventure.

Just an opinion. I am not out to change anyone's mind.

I bailed out of my V7 also. Had nothing but trouble with the bike and could not remain keeping it. Sold it fast within a couple weeks and picked up a 2016 Honda 500F model. Also own 2007 Triumph Bonneville with 37,000 miles since new and never have had an issue with the bike. Have already put 5,000 trouble free miles on the Honda.

I will never ever buy another Guzzi. Worst experience I ever had.

Wish all luck on this forum and thanks for the help when I needed it so many times.

Farewell.

Threads like this always make me wonder.

I mean on the one hand you can't blame a guy for ditching a bike that just doesn't do it for him. That's especially true if it's been troublesome.

But on the other hand when his experience is so much different from my own I can't help but start to wonder if he's contributing to the problems or making mountains out of molehills.

And the new Thruxton (he if talking about the new 1200 right?) is such a different thing than a V7 that it adds to the confusion.

Of course at the end of the day it doesn't matter. As long as the guy is happy with his new ride.

I do take your point but I don't think that finding my new bike is ill handling and potentially dangerous due to tankslappers is making a mountain out of a molehill. The dealers attitude to this and a few other minor problems left me with no confidence in the bike or the marque.
The Thruxton I've bought is a 900 model and an air cooled twin, virtually the same price, with a retro style, so not that different really.
I'm not trying to slate Guzzis at all. I bought one cos I've had one before and I like the feel of the v twin and the style of the bikes. It's just that this is my first brand new bike I've bought in over 30 years of riding and I expected it to just work! Surely that's not too much to expect? When it didn't live up to its potential I've moved on.
I still have an affection for Guzzis but I'm past the point in my bike ownership where I confuse constant niggles and issues with character.
I don't want this thread to dissolve into a huge negative, so I'm signing off.
Good luck to you all and keep it the right way up!
Jenko

Hope your new bike is all you desire. I have always been very fond of British bikes, but if I was shy with a spanner Triumph might not be my first choice. I bought an old Chevy truck for cheap transportation. Every time I turned around I had to replace components. It was killing me. I had dumped so many new parts into it the parts store used to hold the door for me and call me SIR!. I sold it cheap to a friend with a warning about the trouble I had suffered. She ran it hard on her farm, hauling hay all over the state for years and never put a nickel into it. She sung my praise to the high heavens. It might still be running for all I know. Moral of the story, well there isn't one, I hope the new owner of your Guzzi joins the forum and has a blast with it. Stick around and regale us with the journey of your new sled.

Hope your new bike is all you desire. I have always been very fond of British bikes, but if I was shy with a spanner Triumph might not be my first choice. I bought an old Chevy truck for cheap transportation. Every time I turned around I had to replace components. It was killing me. I had dumped so many new parts into it the parts store used to hold the door for me and call me SIR!. I sold it cheap to a friend with a warning about the trouble I had suffered. She ran it hard on her farm, hauling hay all over the state for years and never put a nickel into it. She sung my praise to the high heavens. It might still be running for all I know. Moral of the story, well there isn't one, I hope the new owner of your Guzzi joins the forum and has a blast with it. Stick around and regale us with the journey of your new sled.
Similar story with my 2007 Norge. Bunch of little troubles but I kept going for 26,000 miles fixing each problem as it came. I finally sold it and bought a nice reliable praised BMW. The guy that bought my Norge loves it and it has been trouble free. The BMW was a pain and I sold it less than than a year later and bought a Suzuki V-Strom. Still liked Guzzi (Why? I don't know). The lady friend wanted to ride so I bought a California but kept the Suzuki. She didn't ride and I thought it was too big. I am not a cruiser person so II said what the heck, maybe my Norge was a fluke, so I bought another. This one is not endearing me to it either but I keep trying. Currently my cost per mile ridden is probably only exceeded by the BMW.

I do take your point but I don't think that finding my new bike is ill handling and potentially dangerous due to tankslappers is making a mountain out of a molehill. The dealers attitude to this and a few other minor problems left me with no confidence in the bike or the marque.
The Thruxton I've bought is a 900 model and an air cooled twin, virtually the same price, with a retro style, so not that different really.
I'm not trying to slate Guzzis at all. I bought one cos I've had one before and I like the feel of the v twin and the style of the bikes. It's just that this is my first brand new bike I've bought in over 30 years of riding and I expected it to just work! Surely that's not too much to expect? When it didn't live up to its potential I've moved on.
I still have an affection for Guzzis but I'm past the point in my bike ownership where I confuse constant niggles and issues with character.
I don't want this thread to dissolve into a huge negative, so I'm signing off.
Good luck to you all and keep it the right way up!
Jenko

Thing is, I've got enough miles on Guzzis (and smallblocks in particular) to know that your handling problem was either:

1. Something wrong with the bike
or
2. Something wrong with what you're doing with it.

But no, that wasn't the mountain/molehill to which I was referring.

I suspect your dealer was certainly part of the problem.

Now thanks for the clarification on the Thruxton - great bike, I'm sure you'll love it. I've been tempted by a number of the air-cooled Bonnies over the years and can even hear the siren song of the latest water-cooled ones. That said, I always decide to buy something else.

My wife might be happy dealing with a chain on her Duc since she puts so many fewer miles on in a year, but ME? I'll take a shaft or a belt over a chain any day it makes so much more sense for my life.

Add valve adjustments to that, and I'll stick with my more than sufficient V7.

No matter, as I already said, all that matters is that you're happy with your new ride.

So enjoy and RIDE SAFE!

Kev

I've often wondered why it is that Guzzi owners on online forums often imply or speculate that problems owners experience with new Guzzis is somehow their fault, or exaggerated. It's pretty obvious to me that Moto Guzzi has a QC problem, both at the factory and in its dealerships. I've owned many motorcycles over my 50+ years of riding, from many different manufacturers, and I have many friends in that same situation. My new V7S was by far the worst in terms of build quality and dealer 'setup' of any I've ever owned or, anecdotally, that my friends have owned (and I buy almost exclusively new bikes), Judging by what I hear, I'm not the only one. My problems with mine are neither my fault, nor imagined or exaggerated. Yet whenever I mention them online, people that neither know me nor have ever met me say, in effect, "suck it up, you're imagining things, learn how to do your own maintenance, you should've expected that, etc, etc". It's a very odd phenomenon.

I've often wondered why it is that Guzzi owners on online forums often imply or speculate that problems owners experience with new Guzzis is somehow their fault, or exaggerated. It's pretty obvious to me that Moto Guzzi has a QC problem, both at the factory and in its dealerships. I've owned many motorcycles over my 50+ years of riding, from many different manufacturers, and I have many friends in that same situation. My new V7S was by far the worst in terms of build quality and dealer 'setup' of any I've ever owned or, anecdotally, that my friends have owned (and I buy almost exclusively new bikes), Judging by what I hear, I'm not the only one. My problems with mine are neither my fault, nor imagined or exaggerated. Yet whenever I mention them online, people that neither know me nor have ever met me say, in effect, "suck it up, you're imagining things, learn how to do your own maintenance, you should've expected that, etc, etc". It's a very odd phenomenon.

I think you misread me, or mislabel in this case.

Let's look at what caused me to speculate in this case:

finally gave up on the Guzzi after a horrendous tankslapper almost put me through a hedge at 60mph.
Yes, I'd checked my tyre pressures before riding. The suspension was set as best I could get it, but to be honest, even with the so called uprated Bitubo shocks, it's still crap. And the front forks? Worst I've ever come across.
The rear tyre is shot after only 2700 miles, and a lot of that was running the bike in, so not exactly hard riding. And apparently the rear wheel is a bitch to remove and refit.
The dealer network in the UK is shockingly bad. I usually service my own bikes, but as this is new, warranty, etc, I let a dealer touch it. Overfilled the gearbox and caused a leak. No courtesy bike either. Warranty fix on a weeping front brake reservoir? No problem sir, I'll just wipe it with a damp rag. Sorted. Really? This is a brand new machine. It shouldn't leak in the first place, should it?

Tankslapper and a rear tire shot after 2700 miles just don't jive with not only my experience with my V7, but my little brother's experience with THREE of them, and some of our buddies' experiences with a number more.

THAT'S NOT SAYING there wasn't something screwed up (tire balance, faulty tire, steering head adjustment) but it equally could have been improper tire pressures (despite the OP's statement to the contrary) OR suspension set up. My statement was just wondering if perhaps the OP contributed to the problem.

Let's go on - seriously, I have had to deal with some shyte dealers in my life (and working in the industry my career might be why I turn my own wrenches, like waiters and waitresses often won't eat out after seeing what happens in many "professional" kitchens) but for God's sake - a dealer who overfills a gearbox should not be used.

But do you blame MG "build quality" for an overfilled gearbox or master cylinder? Was it really MG?

Just basing my opinions on the OP's post above I give him some benefit of the doubt, but I also am left with a certain amount of leftover doubt.

Why? Because as I stated, my OWN experience (even with a HORRIBLE DEALER - FBF) was so much better than his. But then I never let the dealer touch it again after they failed to set it up properly anyway (can you say clutch wasn't adjusted).

I think you misread me, or mislabel in this case.

But do you blame MG "build quality" for an overfilled gearbox or master cylinder? Was it really MG?

Just basing my opinions on the OP's post above I give him some benefit of the doubt, but I also am left with a certain amount of leftover doubt.

Why? Because as I stated, my OWN experience (even with a HORRIBLE DEALER - FBF) was so much better than his. But then I never let the dealer touch it again after they failed to set it up properly anyway (can you say clutch wasn't adjusted).

Not positive how Guzzi's arrive at the dealer but Hondas arrived and as a dealer you would never look at the gearbox or master cylinders because those were filled "correctly" at the factory. Given his listed problems I would check to see if the wheels were inline but as arrived from the factory that is something a dealer would never look at. I read a lot on here about how dealer set up is sloppy and maybe I am sympathetic having worked at one for 20 years but a lot of this stuff a dealer should never have to look at on an "as delivered" bike. Some bikes we had to put the oil in and I forget if it was for some years or some models. Never brake and clutch fluid. Chains were adjusted at the factory. As the years went by things came more and more done at the factory to take dealer mistakes out of the equation. Heck, in the early 70's we installed lighting, handlebars, front tires, seats, skid plates and more but I forget all of it. New bikes are almost totally assembled now. Maybe Guzzi dealers should learn that Guzzi has sloppy quality control but you are not going to make any money if you have to rebuild the bike for each sale.

£8500 is hardly entry level when you see what the Japs or even Triumph are offering for that amount. I know the V7 bikes are never going to be race replicas but they should at least be able to commute short distances comfortably.
Not a fair comparison. Guzzi hand-builds ~9000 units/year globally. There are TONS of small blocks running around since 1977 with no issues as to your complaints. That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back