• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New V7 II Racer Owner, need some guidance.

Faisal

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hello everyone,

I am new to the Moto Guzzi world. Actually, I'm fairly new to the motorbike world mechanically. I just purchased a 2015 V7 II Racer which comes with ABS and traction. I'm looking to turn my V7 more into a cafe racer and a fell upon the V7 Racer limited built by BAAK motorcycles, which I'm sure most of you have seen.

Here's a link to the bike if some of you haven't:

baakmotocyclettes.com/en/motorcycles-triumph-guzzi-enfield/119-v7-racer-limited-cafe-racer-moto-guzzi.html

Now my question is, I notice that the BAAK V7 Racer has a shorter fork than the OEM one and I'm trying to get my bike to look similar to the BAAK V7 Racer, at least from the front. BAAK is asking for something like $5,600 for the fork alone, which I'm not prepared to pay to be honest. I was wondering if there is some sort of modification that can be done to the fork to have it lowered like the BAAK V7 racer. I have searched all around the forum for answers but I can't seem to get a definite one.

Thank you

You can slide the fork tubes up a bit in the triple clamps. This will lower the front of the bike giving it that look but will also make the bike handle a bit better.

It is not hard to do but you do need to support the bike with a jack before loosening the mounting bolts.

You can either do what was suggested above, or change the shims which would drop the suspension.

Please do not do this without consulting a professional. Doing so will change the rake and trail of the bike and may contribute to potential instability, i.e. a tendency to speed wobble. It is likely to "quicken" the steering considerably, and the bike will require much more constant steering inputs, like a quick-steering Ducati Hypermotard. Trust me on this! At the very least, install a steering damper after the modification.

How easy or hard it is to customize a motorcycle really depends on how good you are with mechanics or how much money you have to pay someone who is good with mechanics.
In my experience the easiest ways to change the front end are to either adjust what is there already or replace what is there with something that is more to what you want. You can do as mentioned and slide the forks up in the triple clamps, that will lower the front end and steepen the rake. But it will also reduce trail so you should not just do that without caution. Do it is small amounts at a time and ride the bike (preferably on a bumpy road) to make sure you have not made the bike unstable. There are a number of kits available for the front end of the V7 to improve the way the forks work. Plus, there are suspension guys who could shorten the forks internally as well as re-valve them to make them work better. All of this still is under the umbrella of; shortening the forks, steepening the rake, and reducing the trail. So you have to make sure you don't go too far and make the bike unstable.
Other options involve new / replacement forks. You can go the way of the forks you mention, but that ain't cheap. For less money you could buy a used front end off another bike that has the length, and offset (which sets trail) that you want. To replace an entire front end, forks, triples, wheel, and all, would likely be easier than trying to adapt just one part of the equation to fit the rest of the existing parts on your bike. I replaced the front end on my '93 Daytona with a front end from a GSXR 1000. It was fairly easy by my standards, mainly it was finding a set of steering head bearings that had the right inner and outer diameter. From there, everything else was fairly easy, and I knew the wheel was going to be centered in the forks, the brake discs would line up with the calipers, I knew all that would be right because it all came from the same original bike.
And you can pick up a used front end from something like a GSXR for typically under $1000, often well under $1000.

I would start with sliding the forks up a little in the triple clamps to lower the front end and see if that gets you where you want to go. Then make your decisions based on your wants and likes. But it can quickly get out of hand and before you know it you have more money in modifying it than you spent on the bike to begin with. It is a slippery slope.

I'll post here as well in addition to our email exchange. I have had great results in lowering the front end 20mm, and raising the rear via 20mm longer shocks, both on stock tires. All positive benefits. I have also done the same with custom Kineo wheels (see; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/kineo-tubeless-spoked-wheels/) using a 3.5 x 17" front rim and 120/70 tire.
Many options on the front end to make the forks MUCH better, but I have also let Faisal know I can do the same Ohlins fork kit with new triples for about US$3995 or so depending on options and finishes. Anyone interested, write me direct e-mail; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Thank you all for your input. Todd, how much shorter is the Ohlins Black Edition fork compared to the 20mm fork drop modification you have done, if you have the measurements that is. If not, would you say that Ohlins fork is still shorter?

Back