• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Another starting issue

Gregg Nordby

Tuned and Synch'ed
background info:

Was On trip from Minnesota to Salt Lake City. Stopped for gas in Idaho falls. Bike was running like a champ. Had just descended from 10,000 ft elevation to around 3,000. Went from 61deg. To 95 in a matter of less than 10 minutes. After fueling turned key back on and service light came on. Knew it was electrical.

Checked all fuses - good
Checked for spark - had it
Checked for fuel - pulled injectors had fuel

Tried starting g several times light was still on would not start. It was turning over but would not fire.

After 4 hours in the parking lot I had to give up and stay at a hotel . Left bike in the ATV shop next door ( all the techs that saw me and started to help were dumbfounded as to what the issue was)

2 hours later I realized I forget my phone in the saddle bags and went back to the bike. While I was there I figured " why not try start it again " . This time turned key and service light was gone

Hit start button and started instantly

Never had a problem for an additional 1700 miles back home .

Does anyone know of a similar thread or know what might have caused this. I lost some of my confidence in this bikes reliability and would love to k is if this was just a freak thing ( especially since I bought the bike with 5,000 miles a month ago specifically for this trip and future trips so I had a reliability )

I had a similar problem some time ago.
Left it off for a longer period, and it was ok later - similar to you.

Get into diagnostics and see if there's any error logged. IIRC, Mine was something like a 'dashboard error', which I cleared and didnt think about again. :-/

Per above, dig into the dashboard Menu for Diagnostics, and see what it reports in both ECU and Dash as A(ctive) or M(emory). It may likely be a random key transponder to dash error, or it could be a rare ground issue. Any inclement weather during this issue?

Per above, dig into the dashboard Menu for Diagnostics, and see what it reports in both ECU and Dash as A(ctive) or M(emory). It may likely be a random key transponder to dash error, or it could be a rare ground issue. Any inclement weather during this issue?

No however I did consider due to the large temp change in such a short time that condensation could have occurred somewhere in the electric

No however I did consider due to the large temp change in such a short time that co sensation could have occurred

Also I checked the active diagnostics in the dash and saw no hits. Do you know how to get to the memory I did not see that option. All I could see was active . Also I could only see ecu faults . I'm sure there is a thread on how to go through this somewhere if someone has the link

Update:

I realized that I never checked the dashboard errors . In doing so I found

DSB01 ( key read error) in mem
And
DSB 05 ( fuel sensor error) in mem

None active .

If it is running fine now was it possibly just a fluke?

Also I checked the active diagnostics in the dash and saw no hits. Do you know how to get to the memory I did not see that option. All I could see was active . Also I could only see ecu faults . I'm sure there is a thread on how to go through this somewhere if someone has the link

Never mind I was mixed up I found it

If it fails to recognise the transponder chip, would it allow the starter motor to work? I'm asking because I don't know.
On the older push and release to start bikes, I think no. On the push and hold to start bikes it might spin the starter and not fire.

Which is exactly what was happening . Starter was spinning and you could tell the motor wanted to start, but it felt like something was stopping it . Anyone have an idea what would cause this code on a perfectly good key .

Which is exactly what was happening . Starter was spinning and you could tell the motor wanted to start, but it felt like something was stopping it . Anyone have an idea what would cause this code on a perfectly good key .

A problem with the antenna that receives the chip code from the key, or the dash has an issue not reading the code. If it doesn't read the key's code it should ask for user code. Why it doesn't I don't know.

If it asks for a user code and you enter it it should start.
As an aside, when my '09 is parked in summer sun, sometimes I'll get the "enter user code" prompt. Lately, I've gotten into the habit of turning off the key, then waiting for the prompt to disappear, and then turning the key on again. 99% of the time the dash will cycle through all the checks and I can start the engine. Gotta believe it's 1) the sun on the dash or 2) heat in the ECU (maybe?)...

Back