• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fogging Speedo - how bad before going for replacement?

roadventure

GT Reference
I have noticed the speedometer face fogging up lately. AT first, it appeared to be just some light "rainbow" image inside the glass. But Saturday, it was noticeably fogging on the inside surface of the glass. It seemed to be clearing up after the short 20 mile ride back home.

My question is, how bad does this need to be before it is considered a defect to contact a dealer about warranty? Does the problem seem to get worse once it is fist noticed?

The problem will get worse in my experience.

I have the same problem , but they have refused to replace the speedo.
I would see your dealer straight away.
Hopefully Moto Guzzi America is more helpful than the experience I have had down here.

Gotta Love it.....I told the dealer that It got to the point I could not read speedo. (which was true)
They replaced it but I had to insist that the defect was dangerous....
IMHO there should be a recall on the speedo..crossover..seal on headlight..etc..
Good luck

Yes it will get worse.

I guess I am lucky to have Fox Powersports of Kentwood/Grand Rapids. I told them " The speedo is fogging up, it needs to be replaced under warranty" . Less than a week later ( yes, I was shocked too ) the new speedo was mounted.

I visited Fox in Grand Rapids a couple of weeks ago and they seemed like good guys. I went to check out the Auduce (they have 2) but all of their Guzzis' were in storage for the season already. They are in the process of moving.

I know its been awhile since the last post but I figured I'd throw out my recent "discovery". I washed the bike yesterday being careful not to get any water/soap in the headlight but not obviously careful enough when it comes to the speedo housing. I noticed on drying everything off that there is now what appears to be a line of soap residue on the inside of the glass of the speedo. It doesn't interfere with the reading of any of the information displayed so I don't how MG would look at this. I'll bring this up at the 6000 mile check and see what happens.

Good Luck, down here they refuse to replace a fogging speedo in the land of rain. Know of at least two that have had claim refused here in NZ

Do the people with fogging speedo have screens? My speedo only fogged up since I installed the sport screen. Maybe the speedo needs air to run over/through it to vent it.

Mine fogged before I installed the sport screen.
Guzzi NZ refused to replace it.
Mine fogged before and after putting a screen on, NV Morrinsville said they can put a vent in the speedo which stops them fogging? will ask him again, I also have a horn button problem, went in and won't come out again, has a tapered coil spring in back which has given up , can't get one and need to get dealer to get agent to get MG Italy to ok and send new switch block out, pull tank etc of and rewire it to the loom. Shouldn't be hard should it?

If your looking for a coiled spring, try suzukis such as GT185. They used them with the horn button and are still available. Interested to hear more about venting the speedo. Replacing switch block should be fairly easy.
Don't you love that Moto Guzzi refuse to do anything for us in New Zealand.

Land of long white fogged speedos.

If your looking for a coiled spring, try suzukis such as GT185. They used them with the horn button and are still available. Interested to hear more about venting the speedo. Replacing switch block should be fairly easy.
Don't you love that Moto Guzzi refuse to do anything for us in New Zealand.

Land of long white fogged speedos.
To be fair I have never bothered with trying to get the speedo replaced as on my Griso the replacement was worse than the original one, I will ask Nic and let you know the outcome. switch block should be easy if they don't want to take it of send it in to find the answer, otherwise it could be out of action all summer. None in NZ I know that much.
Funny that I went out on my bike the other day and it fogged up immediately even though it had been in the shed for 6 weeks and was dry as?????

I have noticed the speedometer face fogging up lately. AT first, it appeared to be just some light "rainbow" image inside the glass. But Saturday, it was noticeably fogging on the inside surface of the glass. It seemed to be clearing up after the short 20 mile ride back home.

My question is, how bad does this need to be before it is considered a defect to contact a dealer about warranty? Does the problem seem to get worse once it is fist noticed?

I started this thread and since then have taken an 8000 mile ride that found me in all kinds of weather extremes. During that time, I did not notice the speedo fogging or being difficult to read. Maybe it, like the drive train, needed more time and miles to get "broken in". :wasntme:

I started this thread and since then have taken an 8000 mile ride that found me in all kinds of weather extremes. During that time, I did not notice the speedo fogging or being difficult to read. Maybe it, like the drive train, needed more time and miles to get "broken in". :wasntme:
Has the problem gone away since you started the tread? How many miles have you done? Thanks

My headlight and speedo got foggy, especially in cold weather (see the pictures). The dealer replaced both under warranty.

9_K1GeBfvnJZdUhkL-Ow9mN5mvUtkqxhHSIbebciAItztXlanS_thOldlm_5HARD5svhdv9O3rKgvg38aeqPTBMtxYbqZfPftufV0sI8l9CyQgVU9FPorajsnpLbb_W8_v2Wf117fmTywRyn8slG3t35EVscMypYldZck6gG28sBulKH6G0A22lTI8bewZGbXkRCJOx_hIHrlre5NC8r0mXlHXn3PwB3Cyz0oxkyrdHnenoCKg6xHmFiVVVBIs1EAS0s1SzJKf1NbGZ29UVUpWiHBy7aWhNXS5TPfF3GYzP0brINeOsz0oqiK0V0OKBlhFFcPMOirztEoa_DBF7DqLzozQE0aDzzi8K7JA8chCRME4r3GpCZ-pF4dvkl_wMW6h0U2GcFyNvEVLvbYj1VIt3sllirV1J01EdUxncIUT3jAXQFpmrz7fF4PW80ibnpqM8hzK81uUo8IgaWciioiu9RldTyYY-lPBMFd_6qUhk15gmOGiVADGvd_DZtQYblgTnZeSRQcz8THOQiglX-noyJEHXfVF918PxskKt61bt_YXvpnqdMnwfzf5UUfOcN8xejX7ItPEyo4PTDVGZBc0uh9lQgz8olDG9LSfmhOR2AoLOt=w1250-h703-no

CRzA2oLCvTyGdhhAFyLGj-cXSNs2yAcfpRAVrRXcV8hQeLuaUQKKxbEi_Mk7FDu5sAbd-tgrkGtkFnWJbhq5r4KCVPFCMEgHue3pP8Wnxg09p4NeV294sAx6Lv64cEG-ILE778qbKKXcXjs9NvTCqMEUlO3JyPBnokFJ7nYKIsihKylzxjBcAENqx3b8X_s34NnuCvuS51uwuiYeByZfyzdRFZhQ6i-DF5splO1XmJv5mcuKFCef9TR0hdRr1GKwnSaTLguIjNQjWL4RfyKwrZudanCgt34laP04HAFhC6QcYACRyk5CCOlNYdk1LOIkc4GAnxWH840hcrl6zeyxgPFA79jmCDwa3PDObqQ7bOtnIBVu1GEDum718nGr8F0KYesidVYii7RB3sRPFwCvbT-WTQB7DJ6rR-5KzWgHXxo4rZP1BVsAOCjFWakbWHkVazIRZMS8j4YsWMAy93spXN7CorV4r2UT5v2HawNNiv_DxcYuJ6EURT1d5xVMdZOPWHrS7z3IGmqRzuYpFtrUzJq5GNl5_T0enSHMAVEwnGg6Obc8RnB08R3p4OOheJHIRYNUXSxSw4kWhJnfNnY4gfpLvMzefXeD9_18oL8No_kfOfQe=w1200-h675-no

Image Mine nas been replaced once already, now chasing a claim to have it replaced again. The photo shows condensation streaks inside the glass between the numbers 2,3,4.

I am a new owner and rode the bike home in a bit of wet weather but not much. The next morning I noticed a foggy speedo (the left 1/3), a foggy headlamp (lower 1/3), and both driving lights were totally fogged. Really annoyed me, but whatever, I washed the bike with not a lot of water, mainly on the windscreen. Right after that I noticed a small puddle (say 1/4 teaspoon) of water behind the headlamp screen. Wow. Not to be too disappointed, I rode it all day yesterday in dry weather and most of today. Now the speedo is totally dried out and you'd never know it fogged. Both of the driving lights are 80% cleared up. The headlamp still has some fogging but a lot less. At least this stuff evaporates away somehow.

Back