• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Engine swap: A8 into 09Stelvio (A5)

j duncan cooper

Tuned and Synch'ed
My Stelvio engine is making ugly noises from the lower end when it's warm. I checked the big end clearances w a plastigage and they were fine, and the local dealership is unable to diagnose the problem....

A low mileage used A8 (from a Griso) is on the market locally, and I'm wondering if would be a 1 for 1 swap. Anyone know ? I have rollerized the A5, and I'm hoping the heads are interchangeable as well.

This bike has become a bag of worms...and getting it right has become a priority for me.
Thanks for reading.

Since the connecting rods measure good. that leaves the front or rear main out of tolerance for causing the noise. My guess is front main as that also positions the crankshaft and a thrust face may be worn causing the noise. Are you sure it is engine noise and not from the gearbox? The engine should swap. I can't confirm if the heads can be swapped.

You might want to check the front main first. That can be done without removing the engine. But then again it might be just as easy with the engine out.

I'm certain it''s not clutch noise, as it makes no difference whether it's clutch in or out, in neutral or in any gear. Will look at fwd main bearing.

Pretty much all 1151cc 8V's are a direct swap. I would definitely look for a '13+ 8V, and careful of crash damaged motors that have taken a hit to the heads. The cylinder studs can bend and cause short/long term damage. Replacement is certainly the most cost effective replacement if you are DIY.

My 09 was making a little deep down noise at idle when hot, after eating a flat tappet. I plastigaged the big ends and everything measured fine. But, the bearings had a 'pitted' appearance, so I replaced them. No more noise.
And the plastigage had the same measurements on the new bearings.

Wayne
When I had it torn down to check the big ends, I replaced the bearings, too. Once you're in there...I might as well. No change in noise.That leaves the front or rear bearing. To replace either the lump has to come out.....so...

It's on ! The A8 is in my garage. Tonight will be spent cleaning the gunk off the lump.
What's the secret with the hose clamps ? Is a special pair of pliers required ?
Thought I'd ask before I just started mindlessly dickin' around w it....

Guzzi uses oetiker clamps. You can just cut them off with side cutters. Replacements are available but you will need a tool to crimp them. Inexpensive clamping tools are available at most auto parts stores. It is the same ones used to secure the clamps for CV joints, just different size clamps.

Shame I can't come up and help you. I have the pliers and the clamps can be bought at NAPA. Probably other auto parts stores but near me only NAPA had them. I think I bought the pliers and first batch of clamps from Amazon.
To others reading this the engine he obtained was from a Tenne Griso that hit hit something hard head on but Pinwall Cycle probably has the other parts from the steering neck back. I almost got sick looking at the photo of that beautiful bike smashed like that. They list most of their stuff on eBay but you can call them also.

Hey Abbie...

Pulled the flat tappet actuator off the left head of the A8, getting ready to swap out the roller actuators from the (dead) A5 when both engines are out of the bike. Check it out....

The DLC is shot, but there seems to be no metal wear on the tappet face. The cam lobe showed no wear, but had discoloration from overheat. Seems I got this rollerization thing down now; but it REALLY helps to have the engine out've the bike !

That might be a low mileage engine as they guessed. That looks almost identical to mine when I pulled them out at 2,900 miles. One good, one bad and not a lot of metallic wear. I didn't have any heat showing on the cam but a few small pits.

The engine swap went without drama. No noise at all now. The engine runs like a Rolex. Have the old A5 ready for teardown. How hard can it be.....?

Back