• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 problems and t100 comparison

metalman54

Tuned and Synch'ed
I have bee looking at getting a bike ( 5' 7" tall, 70 yo. ) and I was only looking at Triumph t100's until I saw a v7II Special at a dealer. I loved the looks and it seemed to fit me better than the triumph and seemd like a better bike for just tooling around on country lanes. But I don't know if it is.
I can't afford the new Special but I am seeing 2013 and 2014 v7's I can afford.
( is there a difference between the v7 in those years? )
One big hesitation is from quite a few people complaining that the v7 burns oil, things work loose, electrical problems and that it is hard to get parts and takes a long time to get the parts.
I have heard no complaints about the Triumph.
As a beginner I would truly appreciate any help, advice, recommendations this forum could make.
Thanks.

13 and 14 I think are the same I have a 13. Never heard of them burning oil. Had a easy electrical fix that is easy to tell if you need it done. Never have had a problem getting parts or anything once you know where to get them like Guzzitech. Never have had anything vibrate loose and I do check them every couple of rides. Buy what you like and ride.

From my experience, newer Guzzis and Triumphs are equally reliable, easy to get parts for, etc. Buy what fits you and the style you like. Either is a great choice, though I'm partial to Guzzis myself. I went on a Distinguished Gentleman's Ride last Sunday and there were 8 or 10 Triumph Bonnevilles of various trims. One Guzzi V7. That would be enough to sell me on the Guzzi.

On this site they are selling an extension to increase the oil capacity of a v7 because they have an inadequite amount of oil and because they burn oil. If that isn't true why would they be selling this part?

Here is the exact quote for the part.

Buy a piece of mind by raising the oil capacity in your small block ~64%, from a measly 1.6 to 2.5L.

Small blocks have been known over the years to consume oil when least expected, ending catastrophically.

Here is the exact quote for the part.

Buy a piece of mind by raising the oil capacity in your small block ~64%, from a measly 1.6 to 2.5L.

Small blocks have been known over the years to consume oil when least expected, ending catastrophically.

The oil consumption is only observed during break in until the rings seat. Once everything is bedded in, consumption (if any) is minimal. The extra capacity does allow for a little more piece of mind and helps to keep the oil from getting too hot.

I think that quote was directed more at the older 2 throttle body engines, The new single throttle body introduced in 13 doesn't burn oil. The spacer might reduce oil/engine temps and perhaps increase oil life, but I see no reason to add the extra capacity. Almost 10K miles on my 13 and no oil issues. I did do some fairly easy DIY upgrades that have been mentioned and have been known to cause issues (voltage regulator, fuel filter, spark plug caps).

I have bee looking at getting a bike ( 5' 7" tall, 70 yo. ) and I was only looking at Triumph t100's until I saw a v7II Special at a dealer. I loved the looks and it seemed to fit me better than the triumph and seemd like a better bike for just tooling around on country lanes. But I don't know if it is.

I have owned both - 2011 T100 that I put 10,000 miles on, and a 2015 V7 that I have put 2,500 miles on.

Re the T100: Dead reliable bike, very smooth and easy to ride. Zero issues with regard to performance. A T100 will need a different seat and new shocks (and preferably fork springs) to make it tolerable to ride for more than an hour at a time. Note that my comments apply to the fuel injected T100s and not the carb version.

Re the V7: Has been very reliable. IMHO the shocks/seat issue exists on the V7 too, although the V7 seat can be tolerated for a longer ride than the one on the T100 could. I rode mine out the door with BiTurbo shocks on it so I solved that problem day one. The V7 has some foibles that take getting used to. Mine is cold blooded in the morning. You have to work the throttle work get it going until it's warmed up. I understand that an ECU flash could fix this, but I'm waiting to do that until I replace the stock exhausts. The transmission isn't as nice as the T100. I think Guzzi fixed a number of issues when they went to the single throttle body, and, from what I hear, greatly improved the bike when they did the V7 II. I have not ridden a V7 II simply because I want to avoid the temptation.

I no longer own the T100. It was a great bike, but pretty boring to ride in comparison to the Guzzi. Performance-wise the difference is modest at best, even though the T100 has a higher horsepower rating. The V7 just seems to rev easier than the T100. Handling-wise the V7 is better than the T100. The V7 is noticeably lighter which makes a difference. The big plus for me is the shaft drive. I HATE maintaining chains.

My main ride is currently a Cali 1400 Custom, but at some point I'm sure I am going to tire of riding a 700 lb bike. At that time the V7 will likely become my main ride.

On this site they are selling an extension to increase the oil capacity of a v7 because they have an inadequite amount of oil and because they burn oil. If that isn't true why would they be selling this part?
This applies to the '09-12 V7s (all models). It certainly helps with the '13-current as it simply increases the oil capacity to a safer 2.5L instead of the over-full 2L the factory recommends, causing the excess to get pumped into the air box, and throttle body which is not designed to handle such contaminants.
You have to work the throttle work get it going until it's warmed up. I understand that an ECU flash could fix this, but I'm waiting to do that until I replace the stock exhausts.
No need to wait. I offer free updates for modifications as you go.

My wife has the 13 v7 stone, her big factor over the triumph that she was looking at is the v7 looks better, does not force her legs wide open, and is 100 lbs lighter. it has not burned a drop of oil, i was keen for the ease of maintenance and repairs, and the shaft drive, i bought my Stelvio after her i was so impressed with Moto Guzzi. it will more then likely be the only bike she will ever own.

you should see the smile on her face when she is riding it:)

i have done a couple things, i ordered new shocks to make the ride better and lower it an inch(the triumph would have needed that as well). and the voltage regulator upgrade, oh an an exhaust upgrade with a ECU programmer from here, every thing i have read says the triumph will need to be re-flashed as well. to lean, like most new bikes.

in the end, get what tickles your fancy, if it comforts you to see the bike you are riding on every corner every where you go, and 10+ of them at any bike meet get the triumph, if you like to be different then the Guzzi is the way to go:)

Just a little input to above. I also work on and service newer Triumph twins, and have both launched a new site; www.TTwinTech.com - and purchased the new Thruxton R for rental duties, link at the top of the page here.
All manufacturers have issues. Triumph has a better dealer network and service training by far. Guzzi is a TINY niche brand that somehow gets into your blood once you own one. Just addicting. For your use, sounds like the V7 might work well for you depending on how many km's you do a year, and how either dealer dependent or self-reliant you are to do small basic things. Both newer machines require computer intervention to keep maintained properly, so a good dealer is important, or you learn to connect to the bike yourself with software (one paid, or one freeware with no support). The "small block" Guzzi goes back to the 1970's as to production, and even through all of their flaws over the years, they have built a very loyal following. Triumphs are a bigger, heavier more modern motorcycle for go fast and far distances IMO. You want to go wrong with either one.

Image All your imput is wonderful and greatly appreciated.
Here are the modifications the 2013 v7 has ( with 10k miles ).
  • Single adult owner, Never dropped or tracked. Matris front and RaceTech rear suspension. New Metzler tires/tubes. Custom gel seat MG windshield, luggage rack, crash bar. Denali and Skene Lights, Heated grips. Garage stored

If you only own one bike and are not mechanically incline, new to motorcycles, I would go with the Triumph Bonneville or any Honda.

The V7 is a small market of folks who enjoy doing their own work. The little things don't bother them that need to be adjusted, fixed or replaced by themselves. Most of the V7 owners tend to have owned many motorcycles and are not new to the sport.

New rider, first bike, I would go with a Honda or Triumph. KISS method..

Just my opinion and others are all entitled to their own opinions.

Back