• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Drip drip, no brakes; fix it how?

Pb4uride

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
2015 Stelvio - I have rear drive fluid seeping from the bottom of the rubber boot on top of the CARC. The fluid splatters on brakes & tire. Must fix. A shop just did a service check on the CARC and did put on a new boot during the install. They would be more than willing to fix it, but I am 400 miles away from the nearest shop. So, how easy would it be to remove the boot and re-seal it? How is it sealed? Pic is after cleaning well and then doing a 10 mile test ride.
Doh, I don't want to attempt anything till I know more about this boot and how it is sealed to the CARC.
Any experience, advice, or suggestions on how to proceed out there??

Attachments

• LeakBotEdgRub.jpg
    LeakBotEdgRub.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1726.JPG
    IMG_1726.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 32
Before you dig into anything, are you sure it is coming from the boot, and not the breather and just flinging around to the other side. It definitely looks like the boot but just verify that.

If you flip the boot up there should be a metal tie wrap at the bottom. There is also one on top. you can see both in the picture below.

Upload 2016 10 6 20 8 11

Sounds like they either forgot about the one on the bottom, or did not put is on tight enough for a seal.

That being said, that is still a lot of oil. Did they change the oil or top it up. Almost looks like they overfilled it. The oil should be just at the bottom of the threads of the fill hole when the bike is vertical with the rear tire on the ground, not on the center stand. I usually put it on the side stand and then put a 2x4 under the side stand to right the bike up.

Thanks for the input High Miler. The little breather next to the red arrow in your photo remained totally dry in all 3 inspections of the leak. However the area around the bottom of the boot with the most leakage seemed to be coming from the inside right where that arrow is pointing. Ha, U Nailed it! No fluid around the breather or on the ridge towards the boot.
So, I want to check those metal tie wraps. Do you know if they take a special tool to adjust? I hope not.
First is to check the level of oil for overfill. Then it looks like all I have to do is carefully lift the boot flaps and tighten the band.
I'll let you know what I find.
"U-Turn" out.

R u sure the band is even there. Those bands are crimped on with a pair of pliers. Not sure you can tighten it anymore but give it a try.

The clamp does take a special tool & the clamp is very specific. Also make sure that the breather is working. I had one that clogged & caused a failure to the seals & boot.

FIXED
Definitely leaking at the bottom band clamp of the Boot. Yes, that clamp is similar to a hose clamp but is very unique. It requires a special pliers tool, don't know it's name, and I couldn't google one that for sure is the right type. I also tried to source a more common hose clamp but couldn't find one "long enough" and "thin width" enough to fit. But, being 400 miles from a real Guzzi shop, I had to try something.
I was able to use a set of front end wire snips. The front tooth of the snips were too wide, but I was able to get enough of a bite around the clamp tab to crimp it just a little tighter. The fear was snipping and breaking the tab off the clamp. I think it would be all too easy to snip, or cut it, so if anyone else has to snug this clamp up; go slow and just crimp it a tiny bit tighter at a time. :D

On the road: If gear oil leaks anywhere; it gets everywhere! It will get on your brake unit, it will slather your tire, and would make riding dangerous. If it ever happens out on the road and you have a ways to go, you'd prolly want to band aide it to get home. Apparently the gear oil in the boot is not under any pressure, other than slinging oil around, so sealing the rubber boot over the CARC "should" be pretty easy. Some Ideas to try if you are In a pinch:
Clean & Dry - peel a strip of good stretchy tape.
Even a ziptie, or tight wrapping of wire, or string, or fishing line. Maybe even add a very little coating of sticky gasket sealer.

Closing: This CARC boot clamp (top & bottom), would be a good part to find a suitable replacement from an auto parts, hardware, or other common store. If anyone has a talent for searching out something like this, it would be great to add that info for Stelvio owners.

'Cya
U-Turn

I would trust the 1st one, would shy away from the second one. That 1st one is at least made for these clamps. The other is no better than a pair of wire cutters. For the cost of the clamps & how long one can wait for Guzzi to get one to a dealer (over a month when I needed one), I'd be sure the tool will do the job & not damage the clamp. Just my 2 cents.

I would trust the 1st one, would shy away from the second one. That 1st one is at least made for these clamps. The other is no better than a pair of wire cutters. For the cost of the clamps & how long one can wait for Guzzi to get one to a dealer (over a month when I needed one), I'd be sure the tool will do the job & not damage the clamp. Just my 2 cents.

I use the second type on Oetiker clamps all the time. No issues. They look like wire cutters, but the ends are rounded.

Unless I'm mistaken the second one is the proper Oetiker clamp crimp pliers made by them for their clamps. I have a pair and they work just fine.
Alan NZ

Back