• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cali- Eldo USB Support Kit & Crash Bars

Uss

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello All,

I have just received the MG USB Support kit 2S000166 & a set ofMG Crash Bars for my Eldo. The instruction sheet with the USB kit mentions how the one top end is to be connected but doesn't mention where exactly to find the connector end. I have attached a photo of the kit. If anyone has installed this on a Cali or an Eldo can you please advise where to find the connector on the bike?

Also on the Crash Bars are they fairly simple to install or is it better done by a workshop? How long would it take to assemble these?

Cheers

Attachments

• MG USB Support Kit .jpg
    MG USB Support Kit .jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 30
If the crash bars are the same as the cali, and I would imagine they are, they look super easy to put on so definitely don't let a shop do it. As far as the USB port, i have no idea but would like you to post a pic whey you do get it installed if you would.

Hello All,

I have just received the MG USB Support kit 2S000166 & a set ofMG Crash Bars for my Eldo. The instruction sheet with the USB kit mentions how the one top end is to be connected but doesn't mention where exactly to find the connector end. I have attached a photo of the kit. If anyone has installed this on a Cali or an Eldo can you please advise where to find the connector on the bike?

Also on the Crash Bars are they fairly simple to install or is it better done by a workshop? How long would it take to assemble these?

Cheers

If you do BASIC maintenance (change oil for example) Install the crash bars yourself. Just use Loctite 242 ("Blue") and tighten screws to recommended torque settings.

Regarding the vague MG USB Support kit 2S000166 instructions........... damned Italians. No help from me.

Hi. I can do the basic but there there are no instructions with kit. It has the nuts & bolts but doesn't say the locations. The places that correspond to the holes in the bars already have bolts which means they are holding something in place. In the absence of any pictorial or instructions I don't want to open up something and get into trouble. If there are some instructions can you please post them.

On the USB same thing.....so I started looking under the seat and found two connectors but again in the absence of any instructions don't know which one to use....I am posting 2 photos of the ones I found. One is fixed on the side of the battery cover and the other one comes in from below....

Cheers
20161015 164559 20161015 164526

My best guess on those connectors is they are the ECU and ABS diagnostic connectors. I suggest you contact your dealer. There should be a service bulletin on the USB kit the dealer can download from Guzzi and print out for you. Also if you download the service manual from this site you might get the information you need.

Hi Uss,

The connector that sits down next to the ECU, the one with the part number tape on it, is a diagnostic connector. The other one, the one that slips onto the battery cover, is an ignition switched supply. By looking at the connector on your USB support kit it looks like it could plug into it. It even looks like the USB Kit will fit onto the Air Box lid, maybe. I use this switched supply to power my fueling kit, PCV and Autotune as well as control a relay to switch higher current for my trailer connector.

Rosscoe

Reactions: Uss
Hi Rosscoe

Tried to install the kit but it wouldn't go in the contour which shows up in the photo. There is nowhere else I could put it on. Then I connected the wire loom to see if the USB gets powered up. It didn't power up even with the bike started. I tried connecting my mobile to see if it is charging but it didn't....assuming it is supposed to do that and which is primarily why I ordered it! However the kit plugged in perfectly and the blank has exactly the same colour as the USB kit connector.....bottom line....no success.

The instruction sheet which came with it is for the V7 and there is none of the contours match the Eldo. On the MG accessories website it does say this kit is common for a number of MGs including the Eldorado and V7. Part numbers are common. Written to MG Australia twice, they haven't replied yet.....Any suggestion where more information could be had?

Cheers
Usman

20161020 192213

Attachments

• 20161020_161523.jpg
    20161020_161523.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 29
Hi Usman,

I just had a look at mine to give you some more info. Note that mine is a Touring model but I think it would be the same for your Eldo.
I dissconnected the socket to my aux relay that I fitted from the plug. I tested the fitted plug with a test light and multimeter. On the plug there is a numeral "1" with a blue wire going to it, this is EARTH or negative, -ve. The other wire, orange with a green stripe is on numeral "2" on the plug and it is LIVE or positive, +ve, only when the ignition is switched on, if you turn the ignition off it goes DEAD i.e. no voltage.

Looking at your picture above of the USB outlet plug, it appears that the BLACK (negative) wire is going to numeral "2" and the RED (positive) wire is going to numeral "1" on the plug. If this is correct the the polarity is reversed and the USB would not work.

If you want you can send me your USB thing and I can put a new plug on it the correct way round, prove it, and send it back.

Welcome to the world of Itialian motorcycles where you get to be involved in the manufacture and completion your pride and joy.

Rosscoe.

Thanks Rosscoe. I will do that but before I do I want to see what MG tell me about fixing it and where am I supposed to fix the holder etc. I have paid MG for it and would like to get a workable answer/solution...

You are correct...No 2 is going to the Black and Red is No 1. I will have a look on the plug on the bike to see if there are any corresponding numbers on that too.

Cheers
Usman

Good question.. the answer to your question roadventure is...'magically dumb'...I guess as a first time Guzzi owner I naturally assumed everything on the MG accessories page would be dedicated plug n play sort of end to end solution and powering devices when needed is a big priority with me. If I had known I wouldn't have paid $A.100 for something which is not even $10.00 on Amazon as sent in by GT-Rx above....even the front shell is exactly the same.....so it was magically... dumb...dumber....dumbest...thing to order.

I have written to MG Customer care and am waiting for a official MG answer with their instruction sheet. If it does not fix somewhere and cannot connect then I want my money back.....

Same for the Engine Crash Bars....no instructions.....if anyone has them can you please share. The areas which correspond to the holes on the bike already have some bolts in them so they must be holding something. In the absence of any instructions I don't want to unbolt something and land into trouble....

Same for the Engine Crash Bars....no instructions.....if anyone has them can you please share. The areas which correspond to the holes on the bike already have some bolts in them so they must be holding something. In the absence of any instructions I don't want to unbolt something and land into trouble....

That is why you only do one side at a time and/or with the engine supported. Same with just about any bike.

Hi Usman,

I just had a look at mine to give you some more info. Note that mine is a Touring model but I think it would be the same for your Eldo.
I dissconnected the socket to my aux relay that I fitted from the plug. I tested the fitted plug with a test light and multimeter. On the plug there is a numeral "1" with a blue wire going to it, this is EARTH or negative, -ve. The other wire, orange with a green stripe is on numeral "2" on the plug and it is LIVE or positive, +ve, only when the ignition is switched on, if you turn the ignition off it goes DEAD i.e. no voltage.

Looking at your picture above of the USB outlet plug, it appears that the BLACK (negative) wire is going to numeral "2" and the RED (positive) wire is going to numeral "1" on the plug. If this is correct the the polarity is reversed and the USB would not work.

If you want you can send me your USB thing and I can put a new plug on it the correct way round, prove it, and send it back.

Welcome to the world of Itialian motorcycles where you get to be involved in the manufacture and completion your pride and joy.

Rosscoe.

Hi Rosscoe, Just to complete the string....you were absolutely correct. The polarities are opposite BUT it appears the connection is wrong on the bikes. I was having a look at the wiring diagram and this appears to be connector 33. According to the diagram Blue is supposed to be grounded (posn 2) and the orange/green is live (posn 1) however on the bike itself it is completely opposite. I have attached a photo of my USB kit connected to the plug in question # 33. I understand this is also used to connect to heated seats.

I am waiting for MG to comment on this.....

Attachments

• Cali Wiring Diagram.png
    Cali Wiring Diagram.png
    139 KB · Views: 28
  • Plug n Play Connector.jpg
    Plug n Play Connector.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 32
Blue is supposed to be grounded (posn 2) and the orange/green is live (posn 1)

Colours are correct for normal Guzzi wiring, blue is always ground (0v). It can get confusing when a plug is used as a source of energy (such as a charger) and also as a load (such as an accessory). I have the same issue with SAE connectors, my choice of connectors for all my chargers and accessories.

Where did you source the connector from, I assume it did not come as part of the kit? Did it arrive with the red and black wires already connected?

If the black wire goes to the +12v of whatever is on the other end, and the red wire goes to (0v) or earth (ground) at the device, then you're good to go, just ignore the colour code. If it doesn't, I recommend you disconnect it until you sort it out.

Colours are correct for normal Guzzi wiring, blue is always ground (0v). It can get confusing when a plug is used as a source of energy (such as a charger) and also as a load (such as an accessory). I have the same issue with SAE connectors, my choice of connectors for all my chargers and accessories.

Where did you source the connector from, I assume it did not come as part of the kit? Did it arrive with the red and black wires already connected?

If the black wire goes to the +12v of whatever is on the other end, and the red wire goes to (0v) or earth (ground) at the device, then you're good to go, just ignore the colour code. If it doesn't, I recommend you disconnect it until you sort it out.

Yes that is right but and please correct me if I am mistaken...if you check the wiring diagram it says blue on the left and green on the right so pictorial wise it is correct. However if you look at the numbers it has Blue going into port 2 and Green into Port 1. In the diagram the blue is grounded at Port 2. Now have a look at the photo and see the numbers on the lower connector coming out of the bike....Blue is in Port 1 and Green is in Port 2. That is what is the problem I think and that is why the USB is not working. The circuits are switched.

Taking the diagram as the basis I believe the USB is correctly connected. The USB kit is an original MG accessory listed for the Eldo and bought via their dealer.

What does your multimeter or voltmeter say? If you don't have one, just connect a small 12v bulb between each of the terminals to determine which has the +12v. I think you'll find it is the green/yellow connector.

Did the USB include the connector with the colours switched as shown in your photo? This is connected wrong for a powered device as far as the colours are concerned. But I personally wouldn't proceed any further, and return to the dealer for a full refund or replacement.

Back