• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Resoling M/C Boots

nickdando wrote:
AltBerg boots from Richmond, North Yorkshire can re-build their boots when parts wear out. I've never tried them, but I've heard good things about the boots.

http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/

I've tried them, can't recommend them highly enough. I've got a pair that I've had for 5.5 years and they're still fine, though I ride to work in them nearly every day in all weathers. Skywalk (i.e. walking boot) soles haven't worn out and grip really well, all stitching 100% perfect, leather shows less wear than is reasonable to expect after all this time, and 100% waterproof (I live is Scotland, so I can be pretty certain about this last point). Only fault is a bit of velcro is detatching slightly along one edge.

Apart from being able to get them fixed easily (which turn out not to be such a great benefit, since they don't actually ever seem to wear out;-) I like them because they're based on a walking boot design, with proper Vibram or Skywalk soles. The company's main business is military and mountianeering boots; I think they only make bike boots because the proprietor rides;-) Amazingly comfortable, and great to walk in if you need to.

You can get zip up boots, buckled boots, velcro boots, lace up boots, tall boots, short boots, mid height boots. But you can't get anything fancy with bits of lumpy plastic or carbon or kevlar: they tend to make boots like they think they ought to be made -- well, they are Yorkshiremen. (You can always tell a Yorkshireman. But you can't tell him much.)

If you need extreme sizes, unusual widths, vegan (!) boots or have any other sort of special fitting give them a call.

And I suppose one can only get them locally?
(It'd be a trip destination, but I don't quite yet feel up to riding on the wrong side of the road... ;) )

RJVB wrote:
And I suppose one can only get them locally?

they'll ship anywhere... if you're prepared to pay!

RJVB wrote:
(It'd be a trip destination, but I don't quite yet feel up to riding on the wrong side of the road... ;) )

Riding on the wrong side of the road is really easy. When I've gone to the Continent I've been able to adapt within a few miles, no problem.

What's difficult is reverting to riding on the normal side of the road when you get home :huh:

it's probably worth adding that sterling is worth so little now that if you're lucky enough to come from somewhere with a serious currency, a pair of Altberg boots is probably going to cost you about as much as a cup of coffee!

icenian wrote:
it's probably worth adding that sterling is worth so little now that if you're lucky enough to come from somewhere with a serious currency, a pair of Altberg boots is probably going to cost you about as much as a cup of coffee!

Not real coffee, but mebbe some of that frou frou (hey, that's almost a pun since we are talking about UK boots! :laugh: ) coffee my wife buys. Blech. :S

Anyway, I was hot to trot to buy Altburg "Clubman Classic" boots <http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/motorcycle_ClubClas.jsp>, and, actually, still am. Mildly frustrated by the auto responses to my e/m's about sizing, I still ordered a pair late last year. In February, I finally get a real human-being-written response that says words to the effect that if my calves are over X (I forget) cm at Y (ditto re forget) height from floor, won't work. Well, shix; mine are. :huh:

Now, while I'll admit to some ... erm ... excess tire around my middle, sure did not think of my calves as fat. Maybe Brit girls like guys with pencil legs and this is the result. :p

So, guess I'm still looking for resoling. Probably sending to Kalifornia, btw. Most places I call can't promise petro-resistant soles. Thanks to all on this issue, btw.

Bill

If it's of any consolation, Bill, excess width around the calves likely isn't fat, but muscle ;). Maybe from taking the stairs in a country of skyscrapers?
(and Brit girls prefer their chops on a plate?)

:silly:

It's those "bicycle" calves Bill. That's what makes it hard.

Michael

Hey B saw you at 'Boona Vistuh' but the penny didn't drop till later.

Call Aerostich. Their Combat Boots are Sidis, and I know they steer their boot buyers to a few hopefully vetted cobblers. Buzz me if you have no luck as I can likely
come up with the info.

Have used various Daytona boots for the past 40 years, they can be sent back to Daytona for refurb or resoleing. As the leather on mine was in excellent condition I opted to have mine done and they came back like new. Price was reasonable compared to the cost of replacing the boots.

I've had a pair of Altberg walking boots for years, and went to their factory last Friday to get a pair of biking boots. I got the Hoggs. Fortunately they had a pair in my size in stock, otherwise it would have been a three month wait for a pair to be made for me.
Hoggs might be the thing for those generous of calf. Lace up boots coming halfway up the calf, well padded, waterproof and with a repairable sole. Altberg boast that when you arrive at your destination you'll be comfortable walking about in them. I've only worn them around the house so far, and they were indeed comfortable.
My one worry is that they may be too thick for me to change up. Is the gear lever on the V7ll Special adjustable, anyone? My manual only refers to altering the Racer's lever.

When I saw this thread, I recalled starting a similar one back in 2009. Oh ... it's the same one. :D

FWIW, I ended up giving the On-Roads to my brother, and buying Falcos. Happy with those and they did a fine job protecting three years ago when I slid the Griso down the road on its right side. :cry:

Anyway, following my brother's unfortunate crash last Christmas and seeing what such a wreck can do one's feet and legs, I bought some Sidi Adventure Goretex.

Revzilla has those for $550! The Rain -- non-Goretex -- for $395. This past spring, I paid about $317 delivered by ordering from Germany. Just checked that site. Oh oh. Busted. https://www.biker-land.de/Motorcycle-Clothing/SIDI/SIDI-ADVENTURE-GTX/

Anyway, if you don't mind looking a bit odd -- tho I find being in traction as was my brother, with a spiral fracture of his tibia and now 10 months of therapy, less appealing :eek: -- these are stupendous. They work fine on my EV and Griso, but I had to adjust the shifter on my Norge to get that my toe cup under it. [Not sure, Mr. Pootle, if that's doable with the Racer, but there is likely some workaround.]

Let's have a reunion of this thread in 2023. :rofl:

Bill

I now wear Daytona Road Star boots from Helimot. I originally ordered them with the 1" thicker soles but I could not shift worth a crap with them and walking in them I felt like Herman Munster. After using them a bit, about 500 miles, I called them up and said I needed regular soled boots and I would probably sell mine. Much to my surprise and against their policy they had me send them back, charged me $50 to clean them up and sent me new boots. I was happy as figured I would lose $200 or more.
As for the heavier calf comment above these have an extra zipper where you can adjust the tightness at the calf. My BMW boots (2 pair of one type and one of another) go about 2 years or less then leak but are comfortable. I still have one pair I use on the when riding dirt roads on the V-Strom on day trips. The right toe on my Daytona's have a rough spot from wearing them on one such trip. The Daytona's have been water tight for about 3 or 4 years now and show almost no wear. While they can be resoled I think by the time the soles wear out the boots will be a bit rough.
The best part is I just looked on the website and if my memory is correct I see they are about $100 cheaper now than when I bought them.
The BMW boots (Sidi I believe) can be resoled by a good shoe store as I tried having the 1" thicker sole put on a pair of those in years past. I think it cost me either $75 or $100. Then I gave them away. Slow learner?
I still use an old pair of Frank Thomas H2O boots on my ATV but those lost being waterproof early in their life though just splashing through water is OK. They are close to becoming landfill as the arch is breaking down. Not intended to be a dirt bike boot.

Dan Post Albuquerque waterproof western boot, they have been very comfortable right from the getgo and also give me that little extra lift to get my feet flat on the ground as I am also inseam challenged. I tried other "motorcycle boots" but to much trouble what with zippers, flaps and other assorted things and those spots all will eventually leak. So I can just pull em on slide pants over and done. Did a little online searching and I found them for about $130 on an industrial footwear site. After 2 1/2 yrs soles are still in good shape but can most definitely be re-soled when the time comes.
Bob
yhst-79543780302145_2268_98502901

I can't wear slip on type boots they always too loose.
For over a year I have had a pair of boots from LeatherUp.com that are both lace up & side zipper, they only cost $87.00.
When I bought them I figured you get what you pay for so they won't last. Wrong!
These have turned into my favorite boots & I wear them every day. They are waterproof.
They are not insulated so I was sure that I would not wear them in winter but I have found that with two pair of good socks my feet stay warmer than any other boot I have owned. Go figure.

I've ridden a good few miles in my Altbergs now and find them very comfortable. The sole is a bit thicker than I'm used to so it took me a couple of rides to get used to changing gear, but other than that, no problems. And they really feel like a quality product. Image

Back