• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Sudden death

Chadlebowski

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hi,

My 2009 Stelvio with 15k miles on it has been well cared for... The other day, after a 15min stint at 70mph, I slowed for an off-ramp, and as I rolled-off and pulled the clutch the engine cut out.

On occasion, when stationary in town, it feels like the bike wants to cut-out at idle, and needs a bit of a throttle blip.

Is this major? Or just a simple fix?

I had the same problem on my Breva 1100 a few years ago, a fairly simple fix, there was a service bulletin about this very problem. It entailed cleaning the throttle bodies from oil contamination. Mist from the engine breather gets into the air box and then deposits itself on the throttle bodies. I think it blocks a small hole or disrupts the air flow. After fixing it I re routed the oil breather out of the air box, blocked the hole and ran it into a separate container. The air box is nice and dry now. No more stalling.

Is this possibly connected to the fact that these Engines tend to settle their Oil level at about half-way between the Max and Min Dipstick marks?
I.e. If you fill to the Max mark, they tend to settle down to the half-way point no matter what.
So maybe this 'excess' Oil is 'breathing' out into the Airbox?

Is this possibly connected to the fact that these Engines tend to settle their Oil level at about half-way between the Max and Min Dipstick marks?
I.e. If you fill to the Max mark, they tend to settle down to the half-way point no matter what.
So maybe this 'excess' Oil is 'breathing' out into the Airbox?

Probably so.

I just had my throttle bodies loose, and there was a lot of goo between the throttle plates and into the intake ports. It appeared that it was coming from the idle stepper motor and that circuit. Yet my air box only had a slight amount of oil mist in it.

Sounds about right.
Oil mist breathing into the Airbox will mostly be sucked straight through into the Intakes, not much will 'settle' in the Airbox itself.

Bulletin has you removing the TB completely off the bike which is not necessary. You can remove the airbox and get to the TB's butterflies that way and then use a carb cleaner of your choice.

I do it the lazy way and use SeaFoam spray every spring. Comes with a straw long enough to reach the butterflies without removing the air box. Creates a hell of a smoke show, but works nicely. Takes a little finessing to get the straw to where you need it but it does work. Removing the airbox is an easier way, but doable if you don't want to venture down that route.

Bulletin has you removing the TB completely off the bike which is not necessary. You can remove the airbox and get to the TB's butterflies that way and then use a carb cleaner of your choice.

I do it the lazy way and use SeaFoam spray every spring. Comes with a straw long enough to reach the butterflies without removing the air box. Creates a hell of a smoke show, but works nicely. Takes a little finessing to get the straw to where you need it but it does work. Removing the airbox is an easier way, but doable if you don't want to venture down that route.

Thanks for the info. Forgot to mention that my experience with working on bikes pretty much only covers my Stelvio from May last year... Learning rapidly but may need a bit more guidance.

So assuming I went down the "removing the airbox" route, this all seems straightforward enough. I should just admit my ignorance and say that I do not actually know what a throttle body is. I've had a look through the manual and the few bulletins. Will it be pretty self explanatory once I get the airbox out?

I attached the TSB that was referenced in the thread.

Once you get the airbox out, you will see the two throttle bodies. One for each cylinder. They are what what regulates the amount of air to each cylinder. Each time you turn the throttle the butterfly valves on the inside of the TBs open up and lets more air in. The amount that it is open is measured by the TPS (throttle position sensor). The more you open the throttle, the more air you let in. That tells the engine how much fuel to add based on how much the TB are open, based on how much you turned the throttle. When you are at idle, the valves are held open slightly to let a minimum amount of air in. That is where a dirty TB is mostly affected as a small change in flow from dirt can make the idle erratic. That is the simple explanation.

If you remove the air box, you will see both TB valves. They are pretty obvious. Will have a gold looking valve in a silver body. This is what you want to clean. You can usually just spray some carb cleaner in the area and wipe it out until they are clean. Open the throttle to move the valves for a better clean.

Do a Google search on it. All TB's are pretty much the same on a fuel injected bike.

Attachments

• 10-005-2010 Throttle Bodies.pdf
    72.5 KB · Views: 94
That's canuck1969 - that explanation helps to fill the gaps in my patchy understanding!

I carry out this procedure without the engine running? And where will the carb-cleaner spray vent out?

You can do it with the engine running if you want. Just make sure you don't suck in a rag or something into the TBs. Most carb cleaners have instructions on them to do it that way. Will actually clean better if you do but not necessary.

You can just spray an wipe the inside of the TB with the engine off. Open the throttle to clean where the valve and the side of the TB meet. That is the critical part. Make sure you prevent any drops of cleaner onto painted surfaces as some may run out when you spray. Carb cleaner is pretty volatile so most will just evaporate. What does not evaporate will just get burned off.

You can if the straw is long enough. I do it with seafoam as it comes with a long straw. Sea foam is oil based so u need to be within 1/2 inch of the throttle valve. You could use carb cleaner but most carb cleaners tend to swell rubber and not sure what it would do to the boots. Also the cleaners work best with direct contact. Most may evaporate before it gets to the valve unless u are close.

Maybe someone else has done it without issue. As long as you can direct it to the valves you should be good.

I attached the TSB that was referenced in the thread.

Once you get the airbox out, you will see the two throttle bodies. One for each cylinder. They are what what regulates the amount of air to each cylinder. Each time you turn the throttle the butterfly valves on the inside of the TBs open up and lets more air in. The amount that it is open is measured by the TPS (throttle position sensor). The more you open the throttle, the more air you let in. That tells the engine how much fuel to add based on how much the TB are open, based on how much you turned the throttle. When you are at idle, the valves are held open slightly to let a minimum amount of air in. That is where a dirty TB is mostly affected as a small change in flow from dirt can make the idle erratic. That is the simple explanation.

If you remove the air box, you will see both TB valves. They are pretty obvious. Will have a gold looking valve in a silver body. This is what you want to clean. You can usually just spray some carb cleaner in the area and wipe it out until they are clean. Open the throttle to move the valves for a better clean.

Do a Google search on it. All TB's are pretty much the same on a fuel injected bike.

Downloaded the throttle body cleaning tech bulletin file onto my android cell phone but cannot open it. Is it possible to get the file in a PDF format?

Thx
Mark

Back