• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fuel tank removal

Robert Gibson

High Miler
GT Contributor
I am trying to locate the factory installed GPS connector but so far unsuccessful, I have removed the plastic covers forward of the fuel tank on both the left and right hand sides but can't find anything obvious. Appreciate some help as to the colour of the wiring or failing that how to remove or move the fuel tank for a look underneath.

Moving the tank backwards a few inches is easy enough, and does make it easier. The connector is tied to other wiring right up the front, tucked in behind the steering head, on the right, I think, from memory. Drove me nuts trying to find it, and when I did, it seemed obvious and easy to locate. So it blends in well. Tease the loom gently. It will be looped on itself a few times to take up the spare length, and this helps it to blend in with the rest of the wiring loom.

Moving the tank backwards a few inches is easy enough, and does make it easier. The connector is tied to other wiring right up the front, tucked in behind the steering head, on the right, I think, from memory. Drove me nuts trying to find it, and when I did, it seemed obvious and easy to locate. So it blends in well. Tease the loom gently. It will be looped on itself a few times to take up the spare length, and this helps it to blend in with the rest of the wiring loom.

No, it is on the left-hand side (or PORT for those who know why "left-hand" and "right-hand" does not work on vessels).

The connector is green and the cable black like the rest of the cables it his hidden. I retracted mine from the from the front after a good deal of poking around. Pliers and flashlight helps. Port side as road said.

If you end up removing the tank, do it when it's empty, much easier. Cover or remove the cylinder covers that hide the spark plugs. Remove the rear bolt and ease the tank back and up.

To remove entirely will involve the disconnection of the fuel connector, but the 1400 has another connector along the fuel line which is much easier to undo. You might want an assistant to hold the tank while you do this.

Sorted, thanks to all. I borrowed a camera with a flexi lens (for inspecting pipes), located the little tinker and extracted it with a hooked pick.
The only other issue I have is that the cable isn't long enough to reach my sat nav mount, looks like I will have to invest in the OEM mount.

Sorted, thanks to all. I borrowed a camera with a flexi lens (for inspecting pipes), located the little tinker and extracted it with a hooked pick.
The only other issue I have is that the cable isn't long enough to reach my sat nav mount, looks like I will have to invest in the OEM mount.

What GPS unit are you using? I was using a Garmin Zumo 550 and have now replaced it with a Garmin Zumo 665. Both units had had a power cable about 36" long. Far more cable than I would ever need.

I find it hard to imagine that any GPS unit would not have a long enough power cable to reach from a handlebar mount to the front of the gas tank.

I am using a TomTom Rider, the OEM cable plugs into the base of the mounting/charging unit.
I have pulled the cable out as far as I dare, I believe others have had a similar issue.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 67
I am using a TomTom Rider, the OEM cable plugs into the base of the mounting/charging unit.
I have pulled the cable out as far as I dare, I believe others have had a similar issue.

Here is "what's in the box" for the Tom Tom Rider 400:

Upload 2016 11 3 12 13 57

It looks like you don't have all of the OEM connection cable free from under the gas tank. Are you sure that there is no more cable coiled up under the tank?

I don't use the Tom Tom, so I didn't have the convenience of the "plug-and-play" connection but if I did, there was enough cable under the tank with the nice plug easily reach my GPS.

Worst case, use the "battery cable" to connect to the OEM plug. Someone here even
sourced a mating receptacle that you could attach to the OEM plug.

On another subject, I like the chrome clamp with the Ram Ball. Where did you buy that clamp?

My cable was coiled and zip-locked to it self and long enough to reach a sat nav mount like yours once the zip-lock was cut.

My Sat Nav is the previous model to the 400.
I have cut the zip tie and pulled the cable as far I would like to at this time, if necessary I will buy another cable with the TomTom plug and in line crimp it to the OEM cable so not a major issue.
I sourced the the clamp from Vizonx.com (based in Florida I believe), the clamp originally comes with a ball to accept Garmin units but they swapped out the original for a RAM ball. I had a machinist colleague make a new sleeve in nylon to accept the Guzzi bars although I'm sure a wrap of inner tube would work as well.
I have no connection with the company but can't endorse them highly enough as all communication was dealt with promptly and efficiently.

Someone here even

Also working on custom wiring connection for my Zumo 550.

Where is this plug sourced, or how is it identified by part number/mfgr?

Also working on custom wiring connection for my Zumo 550.

Where is this plug sourced, or how is it identified by part number/mfgr?
https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/gps-installation.14275/
I have a Garmin 60CS that I use on my trail bike. Being a cheap skate and not wanting to buy another GPS. I did some research and found the mating connector for the 12V power harness Guzzi was kind enough to provide.

Turns out that BMW uses the same connector for some lighting and offers a premade pig tail harness part number 83300402344. I ordered one online from a BMW dealer. Plugged right in!!

For anyone that doesn't want to cut or splice the factory wiring, this is the way to go!

View attachment 7991 View attachment 7992 View attachment 7993

Here is "what's in the box" for the Tom Tom Rider 400:

View attachment 11155

It looks like you don't have all of the OEM connection cable free from under the gas tank. Are you sure that there is no more cable coiled up under the tank?

I don't use the Tom Tom, so I didn't have the convenience of the "plug-and-play" connection but if I did, there was enough cable under the tank with the nice plug easily reach my GPS.

Worst case, use the "battery cable" to connect to the OEM plug. Someone here even

On another subject, I like the chrome clamp with the Ram Ball. Where did you buy that clamp?
I've a Garmin XT Zumo, and I bought an alluminium bracket.

Attachments

• IMG_20220202_164836.jpg
    IMG_20220202_164836.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 4
Back