• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

'15 Norge ... Thoughts, and New Tires

BDS

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Bought a new '15 Norge back in April (also own two Ducatis). 3500 miles later...

IMO...

Cons: A little buzzy at ~3800 rpm. Torque steer is noticeable (only bothersome in corners if accelerating/decelerating). Top heavy (especially with a full tank). Really squirrelly steering/handling ... turn in that is distractingly strong in corners (to the point of requiring countersteer muscle throughout a turn); it feels like the bike would collapse in on itself. Straight line riding suffers when hitting uneven pavement patches that have straight line edges in the lane direction, and, if changing lanes - riding over the lane's center crown pitches the bike unnervingly. Aggressive cornering can scrape the under parts.

Pros: Comfortable! - Good riding position (fits me good @ 5'8"" and 170 lbs). Adequate power. Good low end grunt. I like the adaptive headlights for night riding.

So, right here I will relay my reason for posting today... last Sunday I had a flat. 2" nail in the rear. Since I was planning a trip to North Carolina Thursday, I was bummed at the thought of riding a plugged tire. Sooo... contacted Cadre MG dealer here in Cincinnati on Tuesday. I was hoping they had my favorite tires - Pilot Road 4's. They didn't, but were able to rush order a set in. Tires arrived today, and they got them changed for me by 3pm! Enzo and the staff are super.

So, I put about 60 miles on the new PR4's, and 70% of the cons listed above are now moot! Apparently, 3500 miles on the stock Angels really took their toll. When the Angel in the tread "turned" into the devil - I guess that was an omen. The handling is transformed. Turn in feels "normal," straight line is arrow straight, despite any road aberrations. Big smile! Yep, cornering can be done one handed with no problem - unless pushing it, in which case, confidence and puckerless lean angles are back! I think these tires might even provide a tad more ground clearance. Maybe now I could get a lower seat.

Definitely ready for NC in the morning, and looking forward to the Cherohala :)

Shout out to Cadre for exemplary service!! I highly recommend these guys, even if you have to travel.

Doing a good setup on the suspension might make it even better. Searching this forum you may find the information you need.

BDS - a little buzzy may well be the throttle bodies need to be synchronised, and the TPS reset. This is normal servicing of these beasts. However, your exhaust may also be contributing to the vibes. Do a sync and TPS reset and see if the % you have got gets better...

Hey John... indeed I have been looking at the fork kits/shock options. I have tweaked about all I can, and things feel pretty good for a relatively heavy bike (for what I'm used to, any way). I have the fork adjusters about three turns shy of full clockwise. The new tires really are the icing tho. I love the PR4's for sport touring. This is my 4th set. But, the next level for improvement needs to be corner stability (not "stick").

Thanks!

Thanks for the chime... I will have the bike in for an oil change and service sometime in the next couple months (as the weather cools). I'll ask the guys to check TB/TPS. If I did it, I'd probably screw up my warranty... hehe.

BDS - a little buzzy may well be the throttle bodies need to be synchronised, and the TPS reset. This is normal servicing of these beasts. However, your exhaust may also be contributing to the vibes. Do a sync and TPS reset and see if the % you have got gets better...

I have the Ohlins from Todd on the back of mine and it seems great to me but I rode very little with the stock shock. I have the Matris kit for the front in a box on the shelf. It took a while to arrive, riding season was here so I decided to wait till this winter to install it but it will go in this winter at which time I will install roller steering bearings just as preventive measure while I am in there. I may get ambitious and grease the swingarm but depends on time.
Agree on the tires. I loved the PR4's when I installed them.

Good News on the improvements. I am looking forward to the Angels wearing out. I am 4500 miles now but none of the behavior you talk about. I would definitely go over your suspension settings. You really cant mess them up or break anything. I start with the 2 Up settings front and rear and usually go with a bit more compression and preload and a little less rebound. From there I adjust and fiddle till it feels just right. I'd share my settings but cant remember them I need to go check them out and write them down.

I'm looking forward to a new set of PR4's My last new set on my FJR was PR2, best tires I have ever run. The Angels on the Norge and Diablos on my Griso are OK, but just barely.

Love tire threads ... even if that's not what this is (at least entirely :clap:).

I, too, am a MPR4 fan. I try not to be a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge kind of guy, and listen to and read about tire advancements, something that has been near astonishing in motorcycle rubber over last 20 years. I will be happy to try any new brand if I read enough objective or (credible) subjective reports and data. But, I have had nothing but great success with Michelin tires on my Guzzi's. Only exception was a set of Pures, but that was my mismatching those to my Griso. ts weight and (gasp :think:) mine made sidewall flex downright dangerous.

But the MPR's and most recently, the 4's, have been stupendous from an adhesion and balanced wear perspective. I have the GT's on my Norge, as it is usually ridden two-up and with all of Kathi's hair equipment. :inlove:;)

FWIW, I have a 2007 Norge and have put a few miles on my brother's 8v (he's had 3 of those; long story :cry:). I find the Norge's turn-in characteristic to be a positive, not negative, aspect. Yes, tires make a difference and suspension changes (especially on the Chris-Craft OEM rear of the early Norges! :sweating:) are almost always good. But I find that handling trait endearing, and dislike it when I have to use serous pushing counter-steer to go into and come out of turns as with my Griso.

Yet again, one of those YMMV things that make life interesting.

Have a fine time at Cherohala and environs, Was down there last month on the EV. Delightful. If ever this way -- top of Virginia, i.e., the "real Northern Virginia" ;) -- drop in at the Moto Grappa.

Bill

Edited to add, apropos Cherohala, etc., recommendation of the Lodge at Tellico, http://www.lodgeattellico.com. Walt & Anna run a great place. Slideshow of our trip down there here if interested: https://bill-and-kathi.smugmug.com/SSR-Sep-2016/n-vNJcCf/

Last edited:
I bought a new Norge last year and got 8000 miles out of the original Angels. Moved to my favorites - Conti Motions - and everything was new again. The Angels were square by the time the cords were showing, so the turn in was tough. With the new Contis, back to a quick turn in which I like (coming off a featherweight Buell Thunderbolt S3-T).

You mention suspension adjustments - I too am 5'8 and 170. I turned the rear pre-load knob two turns in, and the fork preload rods 1 1/2 turns in. I also turned the rear rebound in a turn. This firmed everything up without making things jarring. Run the preload up?

Was your last bike a long wheelbase? I have a Thruxton as well, and compared to the Norge, it is much slower to turn in. Very stable, but not as light on it's feet.

If you are planning on long trips, I recommend the small Throttlemiester. Really well made (in Milwaukee), fits like a glove, has a nice matching left bar end, and goes on in about two minutes.

Your bike will smooth out at 5000 miles, then again at about 8000 miles. I'm at 10,000 miles now, and it is almost as smooth as a four cylinder.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Thx for the feedback guys:). I am back from NC, and I am SOOOooo glad I had the MPR4's put on before I went. It's a different bike. Very predictable, and tight feeling. Now, I can actually consider the next steps for the suspension itself.

Fiat500- yes, Angel ST was the original tire on the bike. They were decent when new, but (for me, coming from Ducatis) turn in got ugly the more miles put on.

Bill - the turn in is fine, now (for me) with the MPR4's (and, I suspect, would feel good with many other quality tires). It's night and day vs what it was. I do tend to ride at a very spirited pace when out in the "country," so maybe I'm just wearing the tires a certain way based on the bikes design/geometry. I run pressures of 36 or 37 fr/39 or 40 back.

Dale - hah! We're the same size! Sounds like we've dialed in the back about the same. The front I went full clockwise and backed off three turns. But, hitting high speed corners, I can still feel an unsettling feeling if I hit bumpy surfaces (mostly upon decompression). Still tweaking, but I am leaning toward some mods similar to abbienormal as posted elsewhere. Need to start saving I guess.

Ciao

Thanks Bill - I did check out the links. Looks like the Lodge is a nice place! We unknowingly drove right by it actually, coming in on 68. I like their suggested rides (some we've done, some we haven't). We have stayed at the Iron Horse Inn over in Stecoah for the past 9 years. John and Charlene are nice folks. We're old and stuck in our ways to some degree:wasntme:. Also, nice pics from your Sept visit (some nice bikes:rock:). One of our loops while on the Telico side of the Cherohala, was 68 south to 64 west along the Ocoee, to 30 north to Reliance, and back up 315 (very little traffic) to Telico. A lot of the roads were fresh asphalt, including 18 miles of the Cherohala. Sahweet! If I'm ever in VA, you can show me some nice roads! Thx!

Have a fine time at Cherohala and environs, Was down there last month on the EV. Delightful. If ever this way -- top of Virginia, i.e., the "real Northern Virginia" ;) -- drop in at the Moto Grappa.

Bill

Edited to add, apropos Cherohala, etc., recommendation of the Lodge at Tellico, http://www.lodgeattellico.com. Walt & Anna run a great place. Slideshow of our trip down there here if interested: https://bill-and-kathi.smugmug.com/SSR-Sep-2016/n-vNJcCf/

hah! We're the same size! Sounds like we've dialed in the back about the same. The front I went full clockwise and backed off three turns. But, hitting high speed corners, I can still feel an unsettling feeling if I hit bumpy surfaces (mostly upon decompression). Still tweaking, but I am leaning toward some mods similar to abbienormal as posted elsewhere. Need to start saving I guess.

I just returned from a ride in WV and I still get a bit of that unsettling feeling in the bumps at speed. Especially on the brakes, say just after a rather spirited passing maneuver. I am fairly certain it is in the forks as I have the Ohlins on the rear but I have not installed the Matris fork kit yet. It seems to be the more I load the forks the more it gets that wandering feeling. I am guilty of being lazy and not playing much with the forks.

I've got Michelin Road Pilot 4's on my 07' Breva 1100. They have been great in wet & dry weather. Bike handles well and is sure footed. Did Vermont trip & Lake George in wet weather and had no problems. You can also get the Road Pilot 4 GT which are best for touring and heavier loads. Both have multi compound treads.

Back