• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

The Guzzi 850 T5 Cafe Racer Project

Beautiful project. I would recommend you to use a newer ignition system. Better reliability and combustion.
I'm looking forward to your posts and foto's

Thank kampe. I think I am going to listen to your advice and go for the Dynatek ignition system and coils. I did a little work on the electrical system yesterday and its a total mess. Does the ignition system substitute the Bosch "rectifier" as well?

Thanks for your help, will keep at it slowly.

Was looking into getting the foot pegs adapted. Seems pretty straight forward. Was thinking of going in a diagonal and putting two ball joints on each side. I'm not sure if the angle and force will be correct though. Measured the thickness and its a 6mm screw I guess.

Any ideas??
Will search around now see what I can find.

WP 20160909 18 13 13 Rich

This seems to be my best contender:
http://www.ebay.es/itm/8mmx6mm-Male...625815?hash=item5423f6bd97:g:TeMAAOSwJQdXAPvn

$_57.JPG

I am not positive but I'll bet that is 6mm right hand thread on one end and left hand thread on the other unless it is one piece with the ball joint. Ball joints on either end should be ok as it is common practice. Just keep the angle as little as possible for better feel.

I am not positive but I'll bet that is 6mm right hand thread on one end and left hand thread on the other unless it is one piece with the ball joint. Ball joints on either end should be ok as it is common practice. Just keep the angle as little as possible for better feel.

Ok mate. I will see if they have anything similar in my local store, if not will have to order online and just go trying.
Will let you all know how it goes, have a good weekend!

great looking project, judgefargo.
I've just been through this on an 850T after going with a set of Tarozzi rearsets. each part of the linkage should be as linear as possible (straight, or 90 degrees applied force) and using as much leverage as possible (longer, better). judging by the above photo, I doubt this will work. there will be as much outward/inward force applied as downward/upward. if it does shift, there will likely be little sensitivity (ie to find neutral).
the earlier T (mine) has no aftermarket setup so I had to make my own using pieces from other kits and drilling through the left foot peg plate to accept a spline shaft. as well as cutting down a shift arm; note, I cut one arm too short and lost a lot of leverage, to the point that I had to pony up $40 and 3-4 days waiting again to buy another one to get the required leverage back.
in some ways I wish I'd kept the original shifter lever and shaft and shortened it; but after drilling through the left plate piece I lost any potential for this...
check out Fast From The Past; Jim may have a solution for you.
Sean

This looks like a great project, looking forward to the end result! Keep us updated!

Sorry guys I have not been on the ball for some time lately. To be honest I can't seem to get in contact with the man whom is making my tank at thetankshop. Have been calling him for more than a month now and no answer. Someone (a neighbour) has told me that he may be on holiday, so am being patient and try calling once a week. Thing is I need that tank for it is the backbone of the project (not the heart for that has to be the engine). So to be honest haven't really done any more work on the bike.

I just wanted to thank you stomp944 for your insight regarding the pegs. Have got the part now and will try it shortly I hope. Have been a little disconnected lately and changed job. However winter is long so hopefully I'll get my act together and be able to send you guys some more pics and tricks.

Ride safe,
Jake

Hello Jake,

I'm very sorry for the late reply to your question. I just saw it in your reply. My ignition system does not replace the rectifyer. I mounted it on a V7 wich has an alternator and therefor has no need for a rectifyer.

sorry again for the late reply

Kampe

Hello Jake,

I'm very sorry for the late reply to your question. I just saw it in your reply. My ignition system does not replace the rectifyer. I mounted it on a V7 wich has an alternator and therefor has no need for a rectifyer.

sorry again for the late reply

Kampe

Kampe, All bikes with an alternator (produce AC current) require a rectifier to change the AC to DC to charge the battery and power the electrics. If the bike has a generator, then you only need a voltage regulator and a rectifier is not needed as a generator produces DC current.

Well guys, the tank has finally arrived!! It seems like John Williams (owner of Thetankshop) was on holidays. So they called me, made payment and they sent the tank fast. Here a few pics of the tanks on its own as well as on the bike.

Next parts I will be buying will be the Dynatek III Electric ignition plus coils, a front wheel of a Gixxer for now and a headlight holder.

I think with that I can at least go for a ride with the bike for now and continue upgrading parts as I save up.

What do you guys think?? I need to do a few mods to the seat and chassis also, also some indicators etc to make it at least Non police instant stoppable!

IMG 20161129 WA0003 2

WP 20161129 16 52 05 Rich

On the bike

WP 20161203 10 18 22 Rich

WP 20161203 10 19 26 Rich

WP 20161203 10 18 56 Rich

WP 20161203 10 17 06 Rich

V7 racer style tank, can't get any better.

The gold fork played some tricks pn my mind. For a second their I thought I was looking at a R9T.

Looks very nice btw, keep us posted!

V7 racer style tank, can't get any better.

The gold fork played some tricks pn my mind. For a second their I thought I was looking at a R9T.

Looks very nice btw, keep us posted!

Cheers mate, tank is made by this guy: http://www.thetankshop.com
But allow at least 3-5 months for completion, I assure you all its worth it however. Premium quality.
Will hopefully get some parts soon and will be able to put it back togeather! Thanks to all for your support.

PD: That E9T is a lovely bike I must admit, but I just cant resist the V Engine!

Rocker covers "should be" those off a 2 valve 1200 Sport would make a huge difference to looks and get the spark plug lead away from harm. And polished to boot!

Well lads. Havent been doing much on the bike, but did scout for some parts. In the end I'm listening to some of our more experienced users and gone for the Electronic ignition (Dyna III), and some Dynatek 3 Ohm coils, so I can keep the triangle in the frame clean. Will be arriving shortly. Scouting for a front wheel off a Gixxer for now, and later on will have a set of Excel Takasago laced for the bike. That is about it. Will get cracking on the electrical system when electronic ignition and coils arrive.

Sorry things are going slow, Its just a hobby so you guys know how it goes... Sold my Hypermotatd 1100S by the way, so am bikeless, but did get my hands on a Honda S2000 to keep me in the comfort zone. Its not a bike, but revs like one!

Drive safe lads, all the best!

Wow! Looks great. It's nice to see an old guzzi get a new life, especially one that was not so beautiful from the factory. I thought the Mille and T5 were guzzis with Honda clothing. Have fun riding it, those forks is exactly what tontis needed.

Mallorca - I spent a few days there back in '95 on a trip to Spain. Don't remember a whole lot now, but remember the birth place of Junipero Serra and some castle. I thought it was remarkable how close the the climate and flora matched California.

Thanks Rafael. Weather is definitely getting better and my riding itch is creeping in. For sure this will motivate me in getting my act together!

Wow that is a good memory you have there by the way. Fry Juniper Serra was a well know man here yes. He probably was known also over there in California. Legend goes that he was one of the Spanish that brought wine techniques over to California for exactly the reasons you have pointed out, the climate and flora is very similar to the ones in Spain. As mentioned it's just a Legend, but I guess there is some veracity in it, for it was the Romans that started large production of wine, specially in the Mediterranean (Spain and Italy mostly).

Ride safe, I'll keep posting as bike comes along.

Wow! Looks great. It's nice to see an old guzzi get a new life, especially one that was not so beautiful from the factory. I thought the Mille and T5 were guzzis with Honda clothing. Have fun riding it, those forks is exactly what tontis needed.

Mallorca - I spent a few days there back in '95 on a trip to Spain. Don't remember a whole lot now, but remember the birth place of Junipero Serra and some castle. I thought it was remarkable how close the the climate and flora matched California.

Sorry guys I havent been posting much, have done a bit of work on the bike now and again but it's not until recently I got my act together. Managed to save up a little and went on your recommendations and bought the 3ohm Dyna Coils and Dyna Electronic ignition to keep the frame free of so many cables and mess. Am seriously considering getting a professional to do me a new electrical system, for I am pretty much doing a trial and error at this point for my knowledge in electrical systems is quite limited.

Here are some photos of the parts, are brand new and got them on Amazon and ebay for a reasonable price, and thank goodness they did not get stopped in Customs, so happy about that u can't imagine!

WP 20170119 13 16 10 Rich

IMG 20170130 WA0001

Back