• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 BAAK Speedo install issue

Spumoni

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
I'm in the process of trying to install a supposedly "plug and play" motogadget mini speedo on my '16 V7 Stone, and I had to disconnect those two ABS lights in the process. After a 10 mile ride I noticed a few indicator lights were not working , so I temporarily reinstalled the original speedo. Now the engine light is on, so I plugged in this awesome flash tool and got about 5 error codes. What is the best way to look up these codes, and I'm assuming I can reset them by using the erase function with the flash tool?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Todd. The plug and play unit is from BAAK. I'm not sure why it's causing the error codes, but I am in the process of trying to get answers from them. Unfortunately they're in France. I suspect the problem is in the custom wire harness they provide with the speedo (the speedo unit tested just fine). It probably didn't help any that I rode the bike with it partially installed, then switched back.

I've cleared all the codes, rode the bike, and now I'm down to one. As soon as I clear it, it comes right back faster than I can disconnect the ECU Flash tool!

P0653 - ECU has detected a high voltage condition from the coil or related.

I'm curious to see what the Baak guys say.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Todd. The plug and play unit is from BAAK. I'm not sure why it's causing the error codes, but I am in the process of trying to get answers from them. Unfortunately they're in France. I suspect the problem is in the custom wire harness they provide with the speedo (the speedo unit tested just fine). It probably didn't help any that I rode the bike with it partially installed, then switched back.

I've cleared all the codes, rode the bike, and now I'm down to one. As soon as I clear it, it comes right back faster than I can disconnect the ECU Flash tool!

I'm interested to see how you get on with the BAAK unit. I've seen their stuff online and it looks pretty swish. Keep us updated with how you get on with the Motogadget gear as well =)

Sure thing - In the meantime, here's a video I made to show BAAK some of the problems I was having. It will give you an idea of how small this thing is.

Turns out that p0653 code disappeared as soon as I reconnected those two ABS lights. Still waiting for a reply from Baak.

Did they reply to you by any chance? I purchased the integrated speedo/headlight from them and am about to install it, so I wanted to know if this is something I should be concerned about since I own a V7 II as well.

They just responded today, and asked me to ship it back so they could troubleshoot it on their end which is more than reasonable. I'm sure there is a mix-up in their harness. Aside from that, the instal is pretty straight forward. The only thing I'm not crazy about is adding that additional speed sensor on the back wheel. I don't understand why it can't read from the original speed sensor. The instructions are very vague - you will have to find a bolt (I think it's 7mm) to attach the sensor bracket. You will need a small mirror to find the hole, and it's very tricky to do without removing the rear wheel, but it can be done. I dropped the screw no less than 50 times.

The saga continues. Baak found the problem and replaced the speedo box, and sent the unit back. It seems like everything was fine, but I noticed I would lose the time every time I turned the ignition off. I went back and forth several times between Baak and Motogadget. After making them another video, it turns out it looks like there may be a problem with actual speedo, so now I have to send it back to Motogadget. In the meantime, Baak has removed the speedo from their website until this gets resolved.

The saga continues. Baak found the problem and replaced the speedo box, and sent the unit back. It seems like everything was fine, but I noticed I would lose the time every time I turned the ignition off. I went back and forth several times between Baak and Motogadget. After making them another video, it turns out it looks like there may be a problem with actual speedo, so now I have to send it back to Motogadget. In the meantime, Baak has removed the speedo from their website until this gets resolved.

I hope you get this resolved ASAP. I'm still waiting for my wiring harness from them to resolve a similar issue I'm facing with their speedo/headlight

I got excellent customer support from Motogadget (directly from Germany), and they seemed pretty confident there was nothing wrong with the speedo itself, but more likely it was Baak's wiring. Regardless they paid for shipping anyway so I sent it directly to them with Baak's clip on the end. They immediately noticed one of the wires to Baak's clip was incorrectly crimped and not making contact. They've sent it back, and so far it seems to work. Not happy about all the aggravation I had to go through, but hopefully it will be worth it. Trying to neatly hide all of the electronics under the tank. I am not altering the original wire harness. All I have to do is decide on what headlight bucket I'm going to use, and extend the headlight cables. Here's where I'm at so far. IMG 0244 IMG 0274

I'm glad you got that sorted out. I'm having Motogadget issues of my own. The display has fading pixels at times, and at times it's working just fine. Also, the odometer seems to be messed up as it reaches 999 Kms then resets to 0, with no indication of it reaching 1k. I have an appointment at the end of this month to install the speedometer button and I'll see if it solves anything.

I really don 't want any downtime with the bike. I'm enjoying it too much to just watch it not move.

Hi all, just a quick question: I have a V7 II and I want to replace the original clocks for a single combined speedo and tach. I have been told that the motogadget ones (which are electrical) can be installed in Guzzis. I really don't know if the Guzzi clocks are mechanical or electrical, and therefore if these motogadget clocks can work in V7s. Has anybody used these clocks before, and are Guzzi clocks for this motorbike electrical?

Very many thanks for reading and for any reply, much appreciated.

The V7 II makes this one step harder, as the ECU communicates with the dashboard. If you don't feed all of the signals to the MotoGad guage, you will get a check engine and ultimately a "limp home" running scenario. It is touched on, on another recent thread here. I sell the guages above on the Store tab, but I don't recommend it for the II or soon coming III.

Many thanks GT-RX. I take it on board. Whilst you don't recommend them, can they still be used if installed properly?

And you don't recommend them, what sort of gauge could I replace the original clocks with?

Thanks again,

Will

What Todd is saying is that it can't conveniently be done; there is an inextricable link between the ECU and the dashboard. Replacing the OEM gauges will mean removing the OEM dash, which will also remove the functionality needed by the ECU to run the engine. Without this functionality, your motorcycle will fail to run properly, if at all.

So, how will you replace the lost functionality when you install the Motogadget gauge? One solution might be to remove the guts of the OEM dash and hide that somewhere on the bike, at the same time rewiring the harness to make the dash connector available to the relocated electronics. There are basically no aftermarket gauges available off the shelf that will provide the needed functions; you're looking at a sizable project to say the least.

Many thanks Robert, I understand. Perhaps I can put the gauge of the v9, which is the same as the v7 III, that should work I assume. What do you think?

Thanks guys,

Will

2014 V7 racer.

Can I install a mini gauge on it without issues? I'd have issues because I'm mechanically handicapped... but can the current gauges be replaced by aftermarket on this model without major runarounds? Or even minor runarounds?

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,

I know there have been a few threads on this already, but none of them have really helped me fix this problem. I just got a 2012 V7 Racer, and when I bought it, the previous owner had dropped it (At speed) and smashed the speedo unit. I've decided to replace it with the Acewell 2853 Digital Speedo.

The problem with this is the stock V7 speedo has 20 wires and the Acewell only has 12. After diving in head first and removing the unneeded wires, and replacing the stock guzzi plug with a 12 pin Deutsch plug I've found none of the indicators work? After a few hours of trawling through the threads here, I have since found the Speedo Unit was a little bit more than just a speedo unit.

So, im too far through to go back, and pretty stuck on how to go forward..
so my questions are:
1) I currently have the RH Turn Indicator Control wire & both the RH front and rear Indicator wires connected together and vise versa for the Left, Is this correct?
2) I've gathered that I need to wire in a Flasher unit somewhere to make the indicators blink... Where do I wire this in, and do I go for a 2 prong, or a 3 prong flasher unit?
3) I'm still using the standard indicators and headlight, so will I need to throw in some resistors anywhere?

Thanks guys! Attached are a few photos of the Bike, Speedo and the wiring diagram I made up for the Acewell to Guzzi (Not sure if its correct)

Attachments

• IMG_4521.JPG
    IMG_4521.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20170416_134309_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170416_134309_HDR.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20170416_134545_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170416_134545_HDR.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20170416_134636_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170416_134636_HDR.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 31
Have you contacted the maker of the speedo? I also remember reading about one guy having trouble after trouble and he had a defective new speedo and had to send it back to the maker.

Back