• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Engine Oil check

ploose

Tuned and Synch'ed
I know there are a few conversations around this issue. However I'm still confused on what is the right way for the California 1400.

Here is what is clear to me:
1. Bike upright, don't have problems to stand over bike and balance it with my knees.
2. Engine cold, or warm and wait about 15min for complete drain in the pan

Question: Do you refer to the fluid level when the dip stick is screwed in, or just seated on the fill in hole? Manual and shop manual doesn't specify. Any insight on this?

I have also a V11 Cafe Sport. Unlike for the California 1400 it says to screw in the dip stick first before taking the measure.

From the owner's manual.

ENGINE OIL LEVEL MUST BE CHECKED WHEN THE ENGINE IS WARM AND
WITH THE DIPSTICK INSERTED BUT NOT SCREWED IN.

"CAUTION
DO NOT LET THE ENGINE IDLE WITH THE VEHICLE AT STANDSTILL TO WARM
UP THE ENGINE AND OBTAIN THE OPERATING TEMPERATURE OF ENGINE
OIL.

PREFERABLY CHECK THE OIL AFTER A JOURNEY OF AFTER TRAVELLING
APPROXIMATELY 15 Km (10 miles) IN EXTRAURBAN CONDITIONS (ENOUGH
TO WARM UP THE ENGINE OIL TO OPERATING TEMPERATURE).

• Shut off the engine.
• Keep the vehicle upright with both wheels on the ground.
• Unscrew the filler plug / oil dipstick.
• Check oil level by means of the oil dipstick.

'MAX' = maximum level.
'MIN' = minimum level.

The difference between 'MAX' and 'MIN' marks is approx. 700 cm³ (42.72 cu.in)

• The oil level is correct when it is close to the 'MAX' mark."

I find that if you fill close to the MAX mark you might get some blowback into the air filter. You need to find your ideal level, which in my case is half way between the MAX and MIN. (3 litres on oil change with filter).

If you fill to the MAX, then don't replenish until the bike finds its own level, with the excess having to be wiped out of the air filter area, and down the drain tube. That should be your new fill level. YMMV.

From the owner's manual.

ENGINE OIL LEVEL MUST BE CHECKED WHEN THE ENGINE IS WARM AND
WITH THE DIPSTICK INSERTED BUT NOT SCREWED IN.

"CAUTION
DO NOT LET THE ENGINE IDLE WITH THE VEHICLE AT STANDSTILL TO WARM
UP THE ENGINE AND OBTAIN THE OPERATING TEMPERATURE OF ENGINE
OIL.

PREFERABLY CHECK THE OIL AFTER A JOURNEY OF AFTER TRAVELLING
APPROXIMATELY 15 Km (10 miles) IN EXTRAURBAN CONDITIONS (ENOUGH
TO WARM UP THE ENGINE OIL TO OPERATING TEMPERATURE).

• Shut off the engine.
• Keep the vehicle upright with both wheels on the ground.
• Unscrew the filler plug / oil dipstick.
• Check oil level by means of the oil dipstick.

'MAX' = maximum level.
'MIN' = minimum level.

The difference between 'MAX' and 'MIN' marks is approx. 700 cm³ (42.72 cu.in)

• The oil level is correct when it is close to the 'MAX' mark."

I find that if you fill close to the MAX mark you might get some blowback into the air filter. You need to find your ideal level, which in my case is half way between the MAX and MIN. (3 litres on oil change with filter).

If you fill to the MAX, then don't replenish until the bike finds its own level, with the excess having to be wiped out of the air filter area, and down the drain tube. That should be your new fill level. YMMV.

This is a real mental warp out of MG.....balancing 700 lbs and leaning over and trying to get your head between your legs is not an easy one...atleast not for riders like me with 30 inch or shorter inlegs! Why could the dipstick not be calibrated to have it at a level lean on the stand? It would be so much easier and simpler. Has anyone tried calibrating it upright for a check when it is leaning? Does it work?

Of note, I just changed the oil last Sunday and was surprised to notice that my "special ordered oil filter wrench" did not fit the newest oil filter. The wrench/socket has grooves that did not line-up with the 16 side or how ever many sides the new filter had. It was a pain torquing the new filter into place.

This is a real mental warp out of MG.....balancing 700 lbs and leaning over and trying to get your head between your legs is not an easy one...atleast not for riders like me with 30 inch or shorter legs! Why could the dipstick not be calibrated to have it at a level lean on the stand? It would be so much easier and simpler. Has anyone tried calibrating it upright for a check when it is leaning? Does it work?

I checked and verified the oil level when the bike is vertical. Once I was sure it was correct, I placed the bike on the side stand. Then with the dipstick inserted (but not screwed in) I noted the level of the oil as the bike was leaning on the side stand. I then used my X-acto knife to make a small nick where the oil reached. Now I can check the oil level when the bike is on the side stand.

It may not be perfect. It may not be 100% accurate. But I feel it is good enough to tell if I am low on oil when traveling.

Of note, I just changed the oil last Sunday and was surprised to notice that my "special ordered oil filter wrench" did not fit the newest oil filter. The wrench/socket has grooves that did not line-up with the 16 side or how ever many sides the new filter had. It was a pain torquing the new filter into place.

Don't you just love it! There are two styles of oil filters that MG uses. I bought the special Harper's wrench attachment for the OEM slotted type filter that was installed on my California and a new filter for my oil change. Guess what, the new filter was a fourteen sided type (not the "fluted" style) that uses a different special wrench attachment!

flutedvshexed_d.jpg

Last edited:
If you bought the filters and wrench from Harpers then they need to know their tool does not fit the filters they sell.
I'm sure they'll refund you for your unused filters.

Don't you just love it! There are two styles of oil filters that MG uses. I bought the special Harper's wrench attachment for the OEM slotted type filter that was installed on my California and a new filter for my oil change. Guess what, the new filter was a fourteen sided type (not the "fluted" style) that uses a different special wrench attachment!

flutedvshexed_d.jpg

If you bought the filters and wrench from Harpers then they need to know their tool does not fit the filters they sell.
I'm sure they'll refund you for your unused filters.

I bought the tool from AF1 racing and got everything resolved them.

On a somewhat related subject, I had a need to stop in to HARPER'S MOTO GUZZI (Greenwood, MO). They are VERY knowledgeable about everything MG. I can't imagine them shipping a filter and filter socket that do not match.

A cheap easy way to keep the bike upright while checking oil etc. is a couple of blocks of wood, one under the footboard bracket/frame rail on right side and the other under the side stand, Also grinding or filing one side of the dipstick flat makes it a lot easier to read

Attachments

• blocks2.jpg
    blocks2.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 86
  • blocks.jpg
    blocks.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 93
  • ds2.jpg
    ds2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 95
  • ds.jpg
    ds.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 95
A cheap easy way to keep the bike upright while checking oil etc. is a couple of blocks of wood, one under the footboard bracket/frame rail on right side and the other under the side stand, Also grinding or filing one side of the dipstick flat makes it a lot easier to read

Thanks for the tip on flattening one side of the dipstick. I am going to see if the guy in our machine shop at work can make an aluminum replacement dipstick for me. I would use a piece of round bar for the actual dipstick part.

flutedvshexed_d.jpg

When I had my 1400 and went to change the oil I was ready because I had owned the Norge prior and knew I had the wrench. Then I saw the new "fluted filter on the 1400. Fortunately the oil filter wrench from a BMW I had owned prior fit. Yeah! Then I went to install the new filter only to find out it was hex and different than the old one for the Norge. Off to NAPA for yet another oil filter wrench Gotta love those Italians. Hey, at least it fits the new Norge filter.

I had this problem recently also. The wrench fit (and removed) the old filter perfectly, but no way it wants to work with the new one. Purchased the filter wrench/cap/socket/? from AF1 Racing (what is this thing, a wrench or a socket on steriods?)...

John,

Thanks for the pics, I was going to ask for dimensions. Looking at your pics 3 pieces of 4x4 should do it.

John,

Thanks for the pics, I was going to ask for dimensions. Looking at your pics 3 pieces of 4x4 should do it.

Hi Blakbird, the block under the side stand is 3 1/2 and the other 6 1/2, that's for the Eldorado may be a bit different for other models due to differences in tyre profiles and rim sizes.

Hi Blakbird, the block under the side stand is 3 1/2 and the other 6 1/2, that's for the Eldorado may be a bit different for other models due to differences in tyre profiles and rim sizes.

John L.

Thanks for the dimensions.

I must admit it never occurred to me that models or tire profiles might make a difference. I appreciate you bringing it to my attention.

Back