• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Stelvio map--benefits??

John in PA

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I understand that, in addition to the Norge, Guzzi also has an improved fuel map for the Stelvio that can be uploaded into the computer with an Axone. Has anyone done this, and what are the perceived benefits? Does it help the popping on decell, and the weak running around 3500-4000 rpm? Any downside? Thanks much.

Are you talking about a REAL new mapping or do you mean the OLD NEW mapping which was the subject of a recall by MG last year...,
Because I bought mine last June and got a recall letter for the mapping in July and it was performed in August (since I was on vacation)

After that I never heard fo any new mapping available.

That 'august' mapping definitely improved the feeling of the bike... The 'weakness' around 4000 rpm was gone and it felt like the engine was 'rocketing' from the bottom up with the major boost coming after 5500 rpm...

Don't know if it's a figment of my imagination but it also largely improved the very slow speed. No 'hiccups' when running on 1st gear at idle and turning the throttle.

Not had any issues with the previous mapping problems, but since I had the valve gear recalll work done I got major 'pinking' issues at 4-5k revs.

I can't feel any difference after the recall work- she still goes very well especially over 5k revs. No pinking at all!

13,000mile service in 2 weeks so 'pinking' should get sorted then.
Battleaxe BT020 only lasted 6500 miles on the rear same as the original Pirelli.
Front tyre has good tread left, 2 new Pirelli tyres going on with the service.

Found the problem with my 'pinking'. Last three fill ups have NOT been at my local garage.............no 'pinking'.
Guess they're buying cheaper petrol and charging good petrol prices.

Or selling something with more 'biofuel' in it (E10 or so)?

RJVB wrote:
Or selling something with more 'biofuel' in it (E10 or so)?

I have been using high test with 10% ethonal and have had no problems with "pinging or knocking", if I attempt to use mid grade or regular it sounds like a bunch of nuts and bolts in a coffee can.

That's reassuring, esp. since Guzzi isn't on the list of vehicles "known to be able to use E10" edited by our government.

OK, got the Stelvio back from the cam work, AND the new map is in. BIG difference. No more stumbling and surging at steady light throttle around 3500-4000 RPM. I put about 350 miles on this weekend and it's DEFINITELY worthwhile getting the new map installed. I averaged about 39 MPG two-up on a long ride uphill and down through twisty cuntry roads. Got about 42 MPG at highway speeds on the way home, one up. Jason also set the TPS at 3.5 degrees per suggestion of Moto International. Popping on trailing throttle still present, and doesn't seem to be affected by the map change.

I've also got the hot clutch/doesn't want to disengage/ deal going on. I'll report on some experiments in the clutch thread.

John in PA wrote:
OK, got the Stelvio back from the cam work, AND the new map is in. BIG difference. No more stumbling and surging at steady light throttle around 3500-4000 RPM. I put about 350 miles on this weekend and it's DEFINITELY worthwhile getting the new map installed. I averaged about 39 MPG two-up on a long ride uphill and down through twisty cuntry roads. Got about 42 MPG at highway speeds on the way home, one up. Jason also set the TPS at 3.5 degrees per suggestion of Moto International. Popping on trailing throttle still present, and doesn't seem to be affected by the map change.

I've also got the hot clutch/doesn't want to disengage/ deal going on. I'll report on some experiments in the clutch thread.

I mentioned this update to my dealer last week and he called the Techie Dudes in NY and they told him not to perform this update. They claim this update is for European bikes and not the ones in the states.

They performed my 1st service this past Sat. and reset the trim on the throttle bodies to 4.2 (it was off) and balance the throttle bodies and it runs really well. Two up at 75 - 80 mph I'm getting about 35 mpg, back roads one up at 35 - 65 mph I'm getting 41 mpg. I just love this bike :woohoo:

I would really like some clarification on this update though, I want to believe my dealer they appear to be honest to a fault. But if there is another update that would improve the mileage and touchy throttle I would sure like it installed.

The reason it's for "Euro bikes" is that it's not approved by Big Brother (EPA et al) here in the US. Get it, you'll like it. Oh, and unplug the hoses on the throttle inlets and plug the nipples. They make the bike run leaner at lower throttle settings. Those hoses don't exist on Euro and other world bikes. Another gift from the EPA.

If this makes you feel bad, buy a couple dollars worth of carbon offsets. That's how big mouth enviro-politicians salve their consciences so they can drive big SUV's, own huge houses, and jet all over the world to show us all how important they are and why they should be allowed to run our lives!! (OOPS--did I say that out loud??)

John in PA wrote:
(OOPS--did I say that out loud??)

Tell us what you really thing John.
:laugh:

Do you think the offset TPS value is helping or the firmware update?

Maybe I should not say this aloud if there is a question of EPA, but. 'Someone' from higher up the Piaggio food chain happened to stop in at the shop this weekend while he was out for a ride, while we were doing the tappet swap. One of the first questions he asked was if we had done the firmware update. He said we should because it definitely helps.

I think the firmware update is helping the performance big time. When I offset the TPS for the Norge it was to enrichen the mix slightly at closed throttle to reduce popping on the Norge. I kicked it up to 5.8 or so and it helped with the popping. Moto International has been reducing the TPS voltage, I don't know if they're trying for better economy, or of they're hoping there will be so LITTLE fuel that the popping will go away?? I only know it's about the same. BUT economy seems reasonable, with admittedly conservative driving as I'm still in the break-in period. I just need to put more miles on and get a better baseline for fuel economy, etc. Then I can tinker more.

> 'Someone' from higher up the Piaggio food chain happened to stop in at the shop this weekend while he was out for a ride [to ask questions]

Well, almost makes you feel they care, doesn't it? Does the story include what bike he was riding on? :whistle:

RJVB wrote:
> 'Someone' from higher up the Piaggio food chain happened to stop in at the shop this weekend while he was out for a ride [to ask questions]

Well, almost makes you feel they care, doesn't it? Does the story include what bike he was riding on? :whistle:

Actually, no, I don't know. I was so hung up on getting the Stelvio back together, I didn't check.
I have a feeling it was an Aprillia.

This guy cares. He may be surrounded by people that don't care, locking him out of being very helpful, but he is one of the good ones.

John in PA wrote:
I think the firmware update is helping the performance big time. When I offset the TPS for the Norge it was to enrichen the mix slightly at closed throttle to reduce popping on the Norge. I kicked it up to 5.8 or so and it helped with the popping. Moto International has been reducing the TPS voltage, I don't know if they're trying for better economy, or of they're hoping there will be so LITTLE fuel that the popping will go away?? I only know it's about the same. BUT economy seems reasonable, with admittedly conservative driving as I'm still in the break-in period. I just need to put more miles on and get a better baseline for fuel economy, etc. Then I can tinker more.

I would like to know what the EU firmware does vs. the US firmware. Considering that the EU standards are more stringent for the most part than the US standards I find it hard to believe that a firmware flash would richen up a US bike. On the other hand I can believe that the US standard for plumbing (useless vacuum hoses) is far greater than their EU counter parts.

I purchased my Stelvio used (95 miles), the original owner got cold feet with the recall / upgrade for the cams, he thought MG would not come through. I purchased the bike and let it sit at the dealership one month before the cams and tappets were installed. I picked up the bike and put 1200 miles on it before having the 1st service done, which was last weekend.

My only complaint with the bike was a touchy throttle and poor fuel mileage (31 - 33 mpg / 2 up highway speed 70 - 85 mph). Since the 1st service my fuel mileage has increased to 39.2 mpg at 2 up highway speed, the throttle response is settled down (not has touchy) and the bike drivability is a whole lot better.

The trim or TPS was off and that was reset to 4.2 and the TB were synced. I have never had any issues with popping out the exhaust on deceleration, as a matter of fact my exhaust has a nice deep throaty growl in its stock form whether I am accelerating or decelerating.

Now.......I would like to try the "new" EU firmware to compare the two BUT my dealer will not install it because it is against EPA policy and MG policy which I have to respect; BUT maybe I do not agree upon totally.

Is my only option to make the 8 hour trip to Speakers to get this done? Or is the Doctor going to be at the MG VA State Rally with his AXONE to perform his magic? :woohoo:

Back