• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Norge and new to this site

By the way, I'm Steve, I'm new here, just acquired my first Moto Guzzi (used 2-valve Norge) and this is my first post. I'm an independent auto/moto service and repair shop owner with over 25 years in the industry, and my post above is culled from that little well of experience.

Looking forward to my integration into the very distinct culture of this durable and quirky brand. In just one short month of awareness, I find you Guzzi owners SO much more refreshing than the Beemer crowd, and I'm positive I'll never do Boxers again.

Good stuff on DIY under-warranty ... or, FTM, post-, in the event of a later recall or "factory-shared" recall cost, e.g., the 8v rollerization sadness.

And, speaking for those of us who aspire to be wrenches but often fail, it's great to have another savvy automotive each guy here.

That said, I have to question your credentials, credibility, and, especially, judgment when you say Guzzisti are "refreshing." :giggle:

Seriously, welcome. I love my '07 Norge. I am visiting Atlanta just now on my Griso, but launching on my Griso in the a.m. to Kentucky for a beer, bourbon, and bbq mutton, I wish it were on my Norge. Rode my brother's brand new 8v yesterday on some local ups, downs, and roundy-rounds, and that reminded me what a sweet but growly beast my own Norge is.

Bill

I'm a Norge newbie, too. 65 and recently retired. Even though I'm relatively short-legged at a 30" inseam, I found the stock pegs a bit high and replaced them with them with 1 3/8" lowered units from Knight:

http://tinyurl.com/jrj76mp

Really made more of a difference in the comfort level than hoped for and I'm not a spirited enough rider to worry about lean clearances, anyway. I'm really enjoying it but lingering cold in NW Wisconsin has me at only 650 miles so far but I can tell it's limbering up a bit. Photo attached shows that the pegs don't have a noticeable visual effect. I even found the control position better (without adjusting).

View attachment 10357
I also lowered my pegs but had problems with the kick stand hitting the shifter after shimming the kick stand down. I was having all kinds of problems shifting and even replaced the gear and trans oils then I saw a wear spot on the kick stand. Every time I looked at it I had the bike on the center stand with the kick stand down. The kick stand only hits the shifter after I shimmed the kick stand down to give me more room for the lowered pegs. This is the only way I can use the lowered peg without it hitting. Shifter

I had an 07 and now have a 12. (in between I had a R1200GS for 9 months and I doubt I'll ever own another BMW). I like a lot about the 12 better than the 07 but all minor stuff. The catch is I really liked the 07 engine better. Now naturally my memory is blurred by 4 years of time but I just think the power delivery was smoother. Of course I am awaiting a re-flash kit from Todd which may help. The 07 also got 45-48mpg whereas the 12 gets 35-38mpg with what feels like only a minor power increase.

Last edited:
I also lowered my pegs but had problems with the kick stand hitting the shifter after shimming the kick stand down. I was having all kinds of problems shifting and even replaced the gear and trans oils then I saw a wear spot on the kick stand. Every time I looked at it I had the bike on the center stand with the kick stand down. The kick stand only hits the shifter after I shimmed the kick stand down to give me more room for the lowered pegs. This is the only way I can use the lowered peg without it hitting.View attachment 10378

So many of such issues are of the YMMV sort based on numerous variables of individual ergo needs, etc.

Now, with that disclaimer out of the way, there are at least three other ways to avoid "mess with" the shifter. [Note: I tend to use technical jargon (e.g., that "mess with") and OEM nomenclature (e.g., "thingamabob"), so be forewarned if unfamiliar with such special terms. ;)]

I recently found that my new Sidi Gortex Adventure boots would not readily work with my Norge, as the left boot's toe box (at least in my fat-feet size 46 :() would not fit under the shifter's pin. Oh oh. Those are stoooopid expensive footwear, and I like them lot ... so what to do?

I tried simply turning the rubber-covered nubbin, but that changed little.

Hmmmmm. One can also adjust that lever a bit with the linkage that is accessible (at least for those with the fingers of a four-year-old girl. :wasntme:

I finally removed the "pork chop," pulled the shifter off its splined mount and replaced it upward a spline or two. Be careful as while it doesn't seem that one notch does much, it does change the placement of the shifter a remarkable amount. Anyway, all is now well ... at least if you don't mind -- as I do not as I near 70K miles on mine -- that the inside portion of the shifter does touch and mar the lower a bit. You have to be on the ground to see that; I don't care.

Interestingly, when I rode my brother's 8v yesterday with those boots, this was a non-issue, and so much so that I didn't even realize it until I was back on my Griso.

That brings me to this ...

Did that ride make you want to trade in the '07?

Nope.

Now, don't think I don't like the newer Norges; I do. Lots. And, especially in that "espresso & grappa" livery.

But, aside from the fiscal piece -- which, as a retired Old Flatulent is not an insignificant matter, particularly when I am married to a delightful :inlove:, saintly :angel:, but frugal :shake:, CFO -- while the improvements over my own harem's Norge are many, they simply aren't enough to justify a new $T in the Moto Grappa.

FWIW, this is my brother's THIRD new 8v Norge.

He sold the first one, a 2012 (to a buddy of mine who liked my Norge) in order to but a C14 Touring. He missed the Norge, so he sold the cruiser and bought a 2014 Norge. Unfortunately, a woman ran a stop sign last December and totaled that Norge (and nearly totaled my brother! :cry:), so he replaced it immediately with an identical Norge. Yesterday was Michael's first day back on two wheels ... well, other than a wheelchair!

Bill

Welcome Steve (I'm new as well),

Yep, I figure I'll keep the service intervals on time and documented while under warranty. My shop did stamp my warranty book in the box provided...
Image The bike does indeed run more smoothly after fresh fluids and valve adj.

Ciao

Congrats and welcome aboard. Hope you'll add your info and perhaps a picture or two to the Registry thread here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/norge-registry-add-your-bike.11529/ - or send to me direct email to put them up for you; Todd at GuzziTech.com - and best to you post surgery. I'm always astonished at how aggressive they are these days for recovery time and getting you moving. Sounds like Bill has you handled on the grip question, and you're going to have a blast with the Norge. Be advised that Guzzi is a stronger addiction to what you just came off of. Suddenly you'll have several in the garage.
Enjoy and again welcome to the GT Forum and Famiglia.
Todd or anyone, can someone please inform me on doing your own services, and warranty issues? I am 174 miles each way to my closes dealer. I have basic experience working on bikes, can't really coment on were some of it came from Todd knows the reason, anywho back to my question. I was told no problem to service own bike as long as you keep all receipts and log it in the little book, well I have a major problem and it may cost BIG bucks for labor and want to know if it is legit or is my dealer trying to make a few more bucks off me??
Anyone please and any ifo on this subject Thanks!

Sorry I guess I screwed this up, anyone out there know any more info on this parts distributor in GA, also anyone can explain to me how to do our own service and keep warranty good? any and all advice regretful for having some not so pleasant issues with my 2014 Norge well let me restate that I am really starting to like the bike just not the dealer service department. they claim I have to pat labor because I did my own service, rear drive needs replacement. Along with a never before thing that occurred, nut on intake valve came OFF so the rocker arm needs replacement also. I checked my valve adjustment before a trip to Mi and they were fine so left them alone, they claim that is also my fault?? oh and the rear drive which happened to have little to no fluid in it when I changed it on the service, I believe that to be part of dealer set up? Who knows sorry folks I'm just really pissed as my bike has sat now since 5/24/16 at the dealer,. thanks and would just like to hear any info that may help or just vent also I really would like to hear of issues and how we may solve them!

The nut I think is your word against their assumption and you will lose that one unless something great happens. The final drive issue depends on how it failed. If they opened it up and it was at the correct fluid level then how can it be you? That one I would fight over. What is the problem. The worst that normally happens to a Norge final drive is an oil leak and the seal is easy to replace. Rocker arm replacement should not be that much labor. If they are not going to warranty it then do it yourself. Use the info in the rollerization thread for the Stelvio. I did my own and it wasn't terrible. Worst part is I think you have to remove the cam chain from the cam to get the rocker arms out. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Manufacturer's warranty cannot be voided, altered or rejected based upon who performs recommended maintenance and services. This is the law of the land, federal law, even if your sales contract says otherwise. They may try though, so it is important to document what's been done with odometer readings and dates of service.

If performed by an independent shop, keep all records, and have them sign off and stamp the maintenance log in back of your factory owners manual. It is highly preferable that the shop use a computer generated invoicing system (vs handwritten work orders) as your records will always be available, including very handy summaries of all service history in a few clicks.

If we owners perform our own services, we need not generate itemized work orders, but should definitely document them as we go, and too mark them off accordingly in our manuals. Just stick tightly with fluid types the factory recommends (types, not brands), document what you've done in whichever manner suits you and be prepared to produce your personal record if a warranty issue is ever challenged.

Face it: many of us are pretty decent wrenches, and we cannot be penalized for doing it ourselves. Heck, I'm sure there are a whole lot of us who are better mechanics than the dealership boys out there. That said, it is still highly recommended that the first abbreviated service intervals be done at an authorized dealership as they have access to their own Factory technical service bulletins and upgrades that might be critical in those first 10,000 miles or so.

By the way, I'm Steve, I'm new here, just acquired my first Moto Guzzi (used 2-valve Norge) and this is my first post. I'm an independent auto/moto service and repair shop owner with over 25 years in the industry, and my post above is culled from that little well of experience.

Looking forward to my integration into the very distinct culture of this durable and quirky brand. In just one short month of awareness, I find you Guzzi owners SO much more refreshing than the Beemer crowd, and I'm positive I'll never do Boxers again.
Thanks Steve, I'm having issues now with warranty stuff, dealer trying to get all labor paid for by me, I guess they figure they get cash faster or who knows maybe they double bill it and get paid on both sides?
Ambitious also new to the site

The nut I think is your word against their assumption and you will lose that one unless something great happens. The final drive issue depends on how it failed. If they opened it up and it was at the correct fluid level then how can it be you? That one I would fight over. What is the problem. The worst that normally happens to a Norge final drive is an oil leak and the seal is easy to replace. Rocker arm replacement should not be that much labor. If they are not going to warranty it then do it yourself. Use the info in the rollerization thread for the Stelvio. I did my own and it wasn't terrible. Worst part is I think you have to remove the cam chain from the cam to get the rocker arms out. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks, the rear drive like I said was almost dry when I drained it for service, they are agreeing to that I guess it was toast in there, I rode it from South Carolina to central Michigan and back. As some others have said I was going to have them do a valve adjustment just for the record. They first quoted one price to do valve adjustment and replace gaskets? and replace oil, after they found the missing nut and chewed rocker arm the tech said the oil looked ok and they could reuse it, I said no to that one hey you know I got metal shavings and what not in there just drain the oil and put a new filter on. They say 4 hours labor on the rocker arm, seems a bit long to me but maybe, hopefully they will inspect the other side and do the damn adjustment. Thanks again for your reply, and for anyone new to Guzzi's this is my 4th there are many GOOD dealers out there just not this one!

You don't need to remove the chain to replace the rocker. I did a conversion on a Stelvio, and when I went to adjust the valves, the adjuster was frozen, then stripped when trying to get it to move. Just back off the adjusters completely on the old and new rocker and if you hold your tongue right they can be removed and installed just by partial disassembly of the cam box.

polkpr,

You mentioned adding Cruise Control in your original post. I'm running a Throttlemeister. Works really well, and the quality is fantastic. I went with the smaller of the weights in basic black. The unit comes with a matching left hand side, so when installed, it looks like it came from the factory - nice match. I did not use the sleeve, just two or three of the included thin spacer washers to get the right friction against the grip. Looks stock, and works great. Really well made. IMG 20151207 200610477 IMG 20151207 200626418 IMG 20151207 200610477 IMG 20151207 200626418

I had installed a Throttlemeister on my 207 Norge. My 2012 came with an uninstalled Kaoko cruise/throttle lock. I installed it and my comment is you did good with the Throttlemeister. Only a few dollars difference but it is much better in my opinion. YMMV

Very nice setup. Was actually thinking of an electronic cruise control initially but these are so simple, I may go this route.
If I was going to consider an electronic cruise control, how much of a PITA are they to install and which ones would anyone recommend?
Again, I think I'm going with the Throttlemeister but I'd like to know my options.

On a different note: I should be receiving my new "Y" pipe without catalytic converter from Todd this week. Looking forward to that.

Very nice setup. Was actually thinking of an electronic cruise control initially but these are so simple, I may go this route.
If I was going to consider an electronic cruise control, how much of a PITA are they to install and which ones would anyone recommend?
Again, I think I'm going with the Throttlemeister but I'd like to know my options.

On a different note: I should be receiving my new "Y" pipe without catalytic converter from Todd this week. Looking forward to that.

polkpr - I did consider this electric set up - very nice, clean installations that looks very straightforward on the install:

http://www.mccruise.com/collections/moto-guzzi/products/moto-guzzi-norge-1200-gt8v-from-2010

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0163/1038/files/mcs6360_brochure.pdf?17971354526972917608

Nice that they make model specific units that are somewhat "plug and play".

A wee bit expensive but I imagine the low sales quantity compared to the time and production costs of this cruise mandates the price. I installed a Audiovox CCS100 cruise on my first PC800 and all the fiddling with trying to fit a vacuum tank, wires and cables means my next PC800 got a throttlemeister. It did work well but the limited use vs the installation was not an even trade off. Maybe if I lived out west and had long open roads.
Even the cruise on the Guzzi California Tour I had only got used on occasion. On those the no resume and no tap up or down speed adjustment was a real pain.

polkpr - I did consider this electric set up - very nice, clean installations that looks very straightforward on the install:

http://www.mccruise.com/collections/moto-guzzi/products/moto-guzzi-norge-1200-gt8v-from-2010

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0163/1038/files/mcs6360_brochure.pdf?17971354526972917608

Nice that they make model specific units that are somewhat "plug and play".

I installed an McCruise on my '14 GT8V last Summer. They did not have a kit for the new 8V when I ordered. They borrowed an 8V from a customer there in Australia. In 2 days they had a complete kit available to ship to me. Installation was a big job but, I learned a lot about my machine in the process. I do not recommend this task unless you are a pretty good wrench. Bottom line, Kit works perfect, The guys at McCruise really react quickly to all questions, & You will really know your Norge by the time you are finished. I will be happy to advise anyone in installing cruise on you Norge or 650 Vstrom. After 3 kits it is now just fun, no frustrations.

Back