• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

?? on fuel guage / sending unit operation

kwn306

High Miler
Just got my used Stelvio, waited for what seemed forever for Luigi to perform the upgrade. The wife drove it home from the dealership and with a smile on her face told me "you are really going to like this bike".

Well I spent the last few days adding farkles to the bike and I finally drove it to work this morning. It is 72 miles each way, highway traffic mostly. I filled the bike up last night while in the garage, the fuel guage showed full when I left this morning. After diriving 70 miles I had to slow down and stop for a light and all of a sudden the fuel guage dropped 1/3.

Is this normal or is it suppose to drop in slower graduations?

God I love the power of this bike :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Probably slosh effect and a sticky level sensor. When you stop quickly the fuel doesn't slow down and goes to the forward part of the tank. Did the level indicator go back up?

No the level stayed at 2/3's of a tank, I had about 70 +/- miles on the tank at that point. I just found it strange that all of a sudden I went from full to 2/3's of a tank in an instant.

I was getting worried that the sending unit was bad and would just be reading in the full position and I was hoping that the reserve light would come on. Maybe it was just stuck like you said, this is the first real tank of fuel I have run through the bike.

Like I said this is my first Guzzi so I am sorta new with some of the things that might be taking place. My HD and Kawasaki's fuel guages all moved toward empty at a smooth rate.....some faster than others :p

When filling up , my gauge never reads full, only 2/3. It will read full after 5-20 miles. then drop to 2/3 70 miles 1/3 100 miles and light on around 130 miles. When refilling I usually get 13 litres in so I still got a gallon when the light comes on. Pretty consistant at the bottom end of the range, .....depending on what my left hand has been doing. ( Read what you want into that !!)
These peeps that get 190 miles to a tank have really gotta be asleep, lol.

Gary wrote:
These peeps that get 190 miles to a tank have really gotta be asleep, lol.
I once had it so dry that it took 4.8 gallons (18L) to fill. I didn't think the tank was that big to be honest. The best economy I have seen is 33MPG. So I'm never going to see 160 miles on a tank.

I was wondering the same kwn306 , the gauge has 3 black segments,............... the fourth is off or blank or white, with the little yellow light on. ( Unlike the one at the 'end of the tunnel', which Gordon Brown has switched off in the UK.)

With regard the fuel consumption Wayne. The MG computer works in US gallons, not our bigger UK ones. From my general miles/gallons used I generally get around 42mpg.

kwn306 wrote:
Wayne Orwig wrote:
The 'gauge', as it were, only has three segments. Empty, 1/3, 2/3 & full.

Isn't that four sigments? :huh:

No....

3 on = full
2 on = 2/3
1 on = 1/3
0 on = empty

Three segments.

Actually, they could binary code them and get 8 values. :laugh:

Ditto's on the "never reads full" observation. I also have a Norge, had a B1100 (changed the fuel pump/sending unit on that one) None of them has worked correctly, including the replacement. Most sticky at fill-up, not reading full till (variable) miles down the road, but dependable near the bottom. Maybe they are using the same sending unit for everything??? The S hasn't ever read full yet.
Gotta love that "character" thing!!

Well I'm on my third tank full. The first two tank fulls read full right away, last night it took about a mile or two to read full.

It's better than my 95 1100 GS that never read full from the day I purchased it to the day it was sold with 95K on the clock. BMW told me not to worry about it. :angry:

What I have learned is that you need to burp the tank when filling it up. While filling the tank last night the fuel came into the filler neck and I figured the thing was full. I wiggled the handle bars and the fuel disappeared, I was able to get in another .4 tenths of a gallon. Maybe that's why I have only been getting 28 mpg. Last tank I got 35 mpg, that was 2 up, 142 mile trip at anywhere from stop and go to 80 mph.

kwn306 wrote:
What I have learned is that you need to burp the tank when filling it up. While filling the tank last night the fuel came into the filler neck and I figured the thing was full. I wiggled the handle bars and the fuel disappeared, I was able to get in another .4 tenths of a gallon.

Be careful doing this.

I did that to mine, gave the bike a little shake to burp it and added a bit more. Then road it home. The fuel expanded and leaked out around the cap. It formed a little swimming pool of gasoline on the plastic tank cover. When that fuel sits on the tank overnight, it strips off the paint. :(

Not a pretty thing. :eek:hmy:

Wayne Orwig wrote:
kwn306 wrote:
What I have learned is that you need to burp the tank when filling it up. While filling the tank last night the fuel came into the filler neck and I figured the thing was full. I wiggled the handle bars and the fuel disappeared, I was able to get in another .4 tenths of a gallon.

Be careful doing this.

I did that to mine, gave the bike a little shake to burp it and added a bit more. Then road it home. The fuel expanded and leaked out around the cap. It formed a little swimming pool of gasoline on the plastic tank cover. When that fuel sits on the tank overnight, it strips off the paint. :(

It sounds like the issue with the fuel coming up through the fuel filler cap is a venting issue. My Aprillia Caponord had the same thing happen, it also was hard to open after running the bike for a while and you would hear a "woosh" when the cap was removed. The Aprilia had a one way tip over valve installed before the charcoal canister. If the bike was tipped over on its side, this valve would close to keep the fuel from draining into the charcoal canister. I removed mine, just put in a straight barbed fitting, the problem disappeared with the fuel tank pushing fuel past the fuel cap when full. I looked at the smog diagram and this bike has the same valve, maybe we consummers need to modify the Smog System to fix the problem, then the tank would vent from more than one area.

kwn306 wrote:
Wayne Orwig wrote:
kwn306 wrote:

Be careful doing this.

It sounds like the issue with the fuel coming up through the fuel filler cap is a venting issue. My Aprillia Caponord had the same thing happen, it also was hard to open after running the bike for a while and you would hear a "woosh" when the cap was removed. The Aprilia had a one way tip over valve installed before the charcoal canister. If the bike was tipped over on its side, this valve would close to keep the fuel from draining into the charcoal canister. I removed mine, just put in a straight barbed fitting, the problem disappeared with the fuel tank pushing fuel past the fuel cap when full. I looked at the smog diagram and this bike has the same valve, maybe we consummers need to modify the Smog System to fix the problem, then the tank would vent from more than one area.

Exactly. Mine is now modified as it was sealing off all of the time.

It is built into the fuel filler cap. It is the lump that you see on the one side when the cap is open. I removed the cap, and removed the plate underneath it. (note carefully where the washers, springs and balls come from) I then 'damaged' the rubber seat that the tipover ball goes against. That way, if it tips over, it will still generally seal off the raw fuel, but it leaks enough that it won't form a seal that keeps building tank pressure until something gets damaged. You could just remove the ball, but I don't mind a little security from a major raw fuel leak. Just that their way of doing it can form a perfect seal and the ball will never 'unlock' once the tank has pressure.

Just going back to the gauge, I noticed today the light comes on pretty much the same time as the 1st segment. No segments will therefore be pretty empty. Funny how you take things for granted. After 12,000 miles and approximately 1000 fill ups you'd think I'd know it by heart.

Gary wrote:
Just going back to the gauge, I noticed today the light comes on pretty much the same time as the 1st segment. No segments will therefore be pretty empty. Funny how you take things for granted. After 12,000 miles and approximately 1000 fill ups you'd think I'd know it by heart.

So..........you are saying when the last of the three sigments is the only one left the yellow idiot light comes on? THEN the last sigment will go blank / out and the yellow idiot light stays on.

How much fuel is left in the tank at that point???? Is that when the TRUE reserve starts, what is that .7 tenths of a gallon here in the USA?

Hope these aren't stupid ?? as I am attempting to learn this bike, cause my dealer is clueless. He cares don't get me wrong but he is clueless as to this new bike.

My bike has only got 400 miles on it. I drove to work earlier this week and the first sigment went out at about 68 - 70 miles, the second segemnt went out at about 103 miles, the yellow idiot light came on shortly after the last sigment was on. When I filled up it took 3.898 gallons to fill and I put a total of 132 miles on the tank. Does this sound about right?

I have about 720 miles on mine and I have to fill up at about 135 miles. I have never riddin it till empty so I don' know how far it can go. I have been curious to try so I don't get stuck on the street running out of Gas. Although if you do Moto Guzzi offers a 2 year roadside assistance in case you did not know. I didn't till I called up Piaggio North America and they notified me and sent me a roadside assistance card.

hi gang

Forget the fuel guage most of them dont work!
When cold the fuel light will come on around 100 miles and in the summer around 130 miles.
Reserve is about 30 miles, if ridden sensibly it is possible to get to 180 miles from a tank.:)

Loftyjohn

Ps the sender update appears to work:)

Back