• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Exhaust header stud

AlanNZ

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I lost a header stud and the other nut on my Falcone yesterday riding home. I think one of the threads In the head may be worn. What's the recommended fix. Helicoil and replace the stud with high temperature loctite plus lock wire the nuts? Or no compound on the studs?
Alan NZ

If there is enough meat in the head, use a time sert http://www.time-sert.com/ They are more robust than a helicoil, but require a larger drill hole to tap and install. You will probably need a bottoming tap to make the final threads for the insert. I don't think red loctite (271) would do much due to the temperature reached in that area.

I would use a Helicoil first. That way if anything goes wrong in the future and there is enough meat to use a Time-sert you can go to that later. I would not use the thread lock as if the stud broke or stripped it would be not much fun to remove it. If you do insist on a thread lock they do make high heat versions but I think the temperature reached on an older air cooled single right at the exhaust would far exceed the rating. I think lock wiring is the way to go if you want to stop it happening again.

Hi Alan,
Just saw you were online - are you travelling down to Wanganui street races on Boxing Day?
I'm trying to get my 1100 Sport ready but being dogged by a possible faulty coil grrrrrrrrrrrr
I see you have an interesting collection of Guzzi's

I have been using nyloc nuts on exhaust studs forever with good results. The nylon does melt a bit; but I still have the same ones since the late 80's. If you put a lock washer below the nut, that would prevent the stud from coming loose as well. I like star washers, they have more points for grip.

Hi Alan,
Just saw you were online - are you travelling down to Wanganui street races on Boxing Day?
I'm trying to get my 1100 Sport ready but being dogged by a possible faulty coil grrrrrrrrrrrr
I see you have an interesting collection of Guzzi's
No didn't get to whanganui. Have been doing a few local rides on the falcone. Not been riding the other guzzis at all.

Back