• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rizoma Grips

Quattroa4m

Tuned and Synch'ed
Has anyone installed Rizoma grips on their 1400? I've looked at the three cams supplied with the Urlo (same cams as the other Rizoma grips), but they are all too "thick".

The end result is that the throttle will stick if installed.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone installed Rizoma grips on their 1400? I've looked at the three cams supplied with the Urlo (same cams as the other Rizoma grips), but they are all too "thick".

The end result is that the throttle will stick if installed.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Simply put, they wont fit. I checked when I first bought the bike and could find nothing from Rizoma that would. However, I haven't looked recently and I DO know that the left grip on the 1400 is the same as the 2012 Griso, and the right grip is the same as the 2014 Aprilia Caponord.
Piagio is a master of parts bin engineering. The ECM on the 1400 came from the Aprillia RSV4, the clutch and brake levers are the same as the Aprilia Shiver 750. The Radial Brake calipers are the same as an older Ducati 996...you get the idea. I find it hard to believe that Guzzi created "all new" grip set for the 1400, given its low production numbers worldwide. My spidey sence tells me they borrowed those off something, probably Aprilia, Ducati, MV Agusta...or?
Problem is I have no idea what or what year they might have used.
We might start by looking at Aprilia's from 2012 on to see which bikes use the same switch housing as the 1400...bikes like the 2014 Caponord, and perhaps others...
FWIW...the "cam" on the stock grip is 5.93mm wide, 35.25mm diameter OD, 22.90 diameter ID, and 7.25mm from the edge of the cam to the edge of the grip.
Kirk

Last edited:
Simply put, they wont fit. I checked when I first bought the bike and could find nothing from Rizoma that would. However, I haven't looked recently and I DO know that the left grip on the 1400 is the same as the 2012 Griso, and the right grip is the same as the 2014 Aprilia Caponord.
Piagio is a master of parts bin engineering. The ECM on the 1400 came from the Aprillia RSV4, the clutch and brake levers are the same as the Aprilia Shiver 750. The Radial Brake calipers are the same as an older Ducati 996...you get the idea. I find it hard to believe that Guzzi created "all new" grip set for the 1400, given its low production numbers worldwide. My spidey sence tells me they borrowed those off something, probably Aprilia, Ducati, MV Agusta...or?
Problem is I have no idea what or what year they might have used.
We might start by looking at Aprilia's from 2012 on to see which bikes use the same switch housing as the 1400...bikes like the 2014 Caponord, and perhaps others...
FWIW...the "cam" on the stock grip is 5.93mm wide, 35.25mm diameter OD, 22.90 diameter ID, and 7.25mm from the edge of the cam to the edge of the grip.
Kirk

The two "cams" that came with the grips are about .94mm wider. One cam is roughly 1mm smaller in diameter, the other came is roughly 1 mm larger in diameter.

It's really tough to believe that Rizoma wouldn't have grips (or more importantly a grip "cam") that fit a California 1400. Especially given, as you pointed out, that it's an Italian parts bin bike in certain areas.

I get that Moto Guzzi is more of a boutique brand, but Rizoma and Moto Guzzi are in each others back yard (82km apart).

I get that Moto Guzzi is more of a boutique brand, but Rizoma and Moto Guzzi are in each others back yard (82km apart).
The 1400 really is a one-off of sorts. My good freind works for Rizoma U.S, and I've spent time at the Austin GP with the owner of Rizoma, and I can tell you they are 100% ambivalent about Guzzi.

The 1400 really is a one-off of sorts. My good freind works for Rizoma U.S, and I've spent time at the Austin GP with the owner of Rizoma, and I can tell you they are 100% ambivalent about Guzzi.

There is probably some history there that we're not privy too. It's still troubling though that they don't seem to support brands from their own country.

Todd, could you do a "Rizoma like" grip to fit the 1400?? Your risers certainly look good....

Update!

First, a disclaimer. I'm in no way suggesting that anyone actually modify any of the parts (specifically the cams) that come with Rizoma grips. The result could be a malfunctioning grip, that if used on the road (or anywhere for that matter) could have serious consequences. Rather what follows, is just an Engineering exercise to determine what the interference issues were with the supplied Rizoma cams.

Starting with the smaller "push-pull" cam, I started dry sanding the flat (non-indented) side of the cam. It probably took far longer than it should have, but after about 30 minutes, the cam actually fit into the switch housing.

The factory grip seems to have a lot of side to side "slop" in the housing. I don't know if that is by design, or simply the fact that the 1400 is a parts bike.

Regardless, I kept sanding on the Rizoma cam until there was what appeared to be a reasonable amount of side to side slop. I buttoned up the grip housing with the newly sanded cam and Rizoma grip and found that the grip rotated smoothly throughout the throttle range.

The end result was a Rizoma cam that is about .69mm slimmer than it was, yet it is still about .25mm thicker than the cam on the original 1400 grip cam. There also appears to be more support for the cable ends than on the original 1400 grip cam.

Mechanically, the modified Rizoma cam appears to function much like the 1400 grip cam.

The bottom line is that it appears that Rizoma would have to do very little to develop a cam that would work with the 1400. I'm sure that Rizoma would also determine the new cam's suitability for the 1400 as there may be other factors (such as cam diameter) that need to be taken into consideration.

In the meantime, the Engineering exercise I undertook, is exactly that, and is no way meant for actual street/off-road usage. Safety comes before "Bling".

Last edited:
Wow...very nice!!
Now, how about a ride report and any noted changes in the throttle feel, power delivery, etc.
and a set of measured drawings!

I also like the black front brake and clutch levers. Looks like they are adjustable(?). Where did you find those?
They look like Pazzo levers from AF1, I got those but in red color.

By the way, did you know that the stock levers are adjustable too? I realized that only when I took them off.

I also like the black front brake and clutch levers. Looks like they are adjustable(?). Where did you find those?

They are, in fact, Pazzo. I hate to admit it, but I ordered them off of eBay. The seller, "podiumsuperbikeinc", has a great feedback rating.

They are, in fact, Pazzo. I hate to admit it, but I ordered them off of eBay. The seller, "podiumsuperbikeinc", has a great feedback rating.
Ah ha, I see them on their website. Also still available on eBay from same company, but $20 cheaper (?!). Is that a simple process to swap out the levers, no surprises?

Ah ha, I see them on their website. Also still available on eBay from same company, but $20 cheaper (?!). Is that a simple process to swap out the levers, no surprises?

It was hard to believe, but they were plug and play. Just lube the pivot bolt and you are good to go.

Back