• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 vs V9?

mrkabam

Just got it firing!
I am new to moto guzzis. I think the V9s are quite nostalgic looking and want to buy one. But then i see so many variations of the V7 line..

I am not a MG expert but from the numbers it seems the V7 grossly outsells the V9.

What are some reasons people favor the V7 over V9? Besides the look (which is personal preference) is there something about the V7? The lighter weight improves handling?

Is it just a cost benefit? (I cant see how $2000 would sway someone to a V7 vs. V9 when you can just go buy used and save a ton more).

The V7 has been around much longer than the V9. The V9 is a new model introduced this year. Give it time and plenty of V9s will be around. A friend of mine in Colorado just traded in his very high mileage (somewhere between 300 and 400 thousand miles) Jackal for a V9 and he likes it.

I think a lot of people prefer the more traditional Guzzi look of the V7 along when practical features like the 5.8g tank.

That said, there's a lot to like about the V9. I would happily own one too.

Both of the bikes sell on looks and vibes mostly and as such, V7 and Roamer seem quite redundant. The Bobber however is a territory completely uncovered by Guzzy so far, it's competing with Harley Street Bob/48 kind of things. It's not without a reason it has he fat front wheel and blacked out design. It attracts different buyers, people like me who would have not bought any other Guzzy and who didn't and will not know anything else about Guzzi than just coming across that V9 and loving it. And that very same state of affairs explains why the V9 is not received well by the existing Guzzi enthusiasts - it just isn't supposed to.

Great video, wish they would have included a R9T and of the bikes they do show I'll stick with my Griso. Those of you that haven't ever ridden one with one of Todd's tunes in it are really missing out.

Has anyone done a power comparison ?
Its all right going on about bits & bobs, but , as I have previously stated : While touring on the Breva 750 , I have sometimes wished for just a bit more power.
So, assuming the V7 750 cannot be much different to the Breva 750 .... How much more true power , does the 850 roamer have ?

As I have stated before, the only thing that stopped me frrom rushing out & getting one, was that the tank , was only 15 liters !
For an 850 , that is a joke !

I am busy with the boat at the moment, but once that is sorted, I will be looking into one of Todd´s Roamers w a 22 liter tank.
Cheers
Happy New Year to All

V9 are lovely, used our bobber demo a lot this year and it's a nice machine. Fuel economy is stunning , got that little extra grunt that the v7 needs

Now hepco have released some racks the v9 looks even more attractive

V7 feels a shade small and underpowered after the v9

I'd be quite happy with a v9 roamer and a rev counter

Its all right going on about bits & bobs, but , as I have previously stated : While touring on the Breva 750 , I have sometimes wished for just a bit more power.
So, assuming the V7 750 cannot be much different to the Breva 750 .... How much more true power , does the 850 roamer have ?

As I have stated before, the only thing that stopped me frrom rushing out & getting one, was that the tank , was only 15 liters !
For an 850 , that is a joke !

I am busy with the boat at the moment, but once that is sorted, I will be looking into one of Todd´s Roamers w a 22 liter tank.
Cheers
Happy New Year to All

I was averaging 60mpg on our new demo .. that's 180 ish miles on a tank ... I'm sure petrol stations come up in less miles than that and I for one cannot sit on a bike for that long without a break!

It's significant.

The 2TB smallblocks like the Breva we rated for something like 48 HP at the crank, but only dyno'd around 38-40 rwhp.

The 1TB Heron head V7 models were rated around 50 at the crank and dyno'd around 40-42 rwhp.

BUT THE V9 is rated at something like 55 at the crank, but has dyno'd around 48-50 rwhp.

That's like nearly 20% at the wheels.

That's significant. And the owners of V7 models I know who have demoed the V9 agree it's noticeable.

After this year's disappointment on EICMA, though, I am not giving up and now hoping for 2017 EICMA to reveal a V7 styled bike with a 850 ccm (or more) engine.

I know power aint anything and most of my driving time I am really more than happy with the V7 but I cant deny
I am missing that specific punch from time to time ....

Anyway, for now I keep customizing and driving my lovely 2011 Classic since the V9 is of a style that an old fart like me would never buy.

I'm with you there, Joerg. I can't look at a V9 and find it attractive in its standard form. The V7, on the other hand, looks good to my ageing eyes.

Another report from a long time Guzzi rider (with an impressive stable) who thinks the power increase on the V9 is significant (in his words "very noticeable").

author=mjptexas

I took a V9 Roamer for a 30 minute ride today. I have to say I was impressed with the bike. The extra oomph vs. the V7 is very noticeable. Fit & finish is terrific. Hardly any plastic on the bike - even the side panels are metal.

The ergonomics worked for me. Not a lot different than my Cali Custom. Foot peg placement is very similar to the mid control placement on a Harley Sportster.

The Roamer seemed to be very similar to the 2011 Triumph Bonneville I used to own, and it seems to address the shortcomings I've found in my V7. Don't know if there is one in my future or not....

His current stable:

16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 V7 Custom
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'06 Griso
'04 Ballabio
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super

So he's no newbie or stranger to much more powerful bikes.

I have about 150 miles on my Roamer. I've made detailed comments in other forums so let me summarize here:

V9 is a better bike in every way than the V7. I traded in my 2015 V7 Special with 3,000 miles so do have a fair comparison:
- Feels substantially more powerful.
- Roomier.
- Smoother.
- Feels more 'planted', which was my only real complaint with the V7.
- The tank is 1/3 of pint short of 4 gallons. It's bigger than the tank on the new Bonneville T120s. Given the mileage I'm seeing 150-180 miles will be easily attainable on a tank of gas. My old butt and bladder usually needs a break before then anyway.

That's the summary for now. I'll be happy try and answer any specific question.

Back