• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Hands Up Who Has Run Out of Fuel

gvw

Tuned and Synch'ed
Just happened tonight on the G12SE, thought I would get 50km on the reserve, got me at 40.2km.

Luckily I was only about 300m short of a gas station :) Took 16.5 litres.

th_Poke_Badger.gif

Paging Mr, Hagan! Mr. Hagan to the courtesy phone!!!! :lol:

Pete

Hi GVW,

sorry, I have to keep my hands down... :mrgreen:
mmmmpppfff... :woohoo: , running out of fuell is not the smartest thing to do after 40 km driving on your reserve... :side:
I have been about 35 km on my reserve, had to do 15,5 ltr in my G12.
I think I won't do more on reserve on country roads.
At long distance and high way use with common speed it can be more. B)
But I'll rather stop at 200-230 km than taking the risc to a multi km walk along the high way.
Learn the behaviour of your bike... at any conditions.

Ad B

Ad B said:
Hi GVW,

running out of fuel is not the smartest thing to do after 40 km driving on your reserve... :side:

I think I won't do more on reserve on country roads.

But I'll rather stop at 200-230 km than taking the risc to a multi km walk along the high way.
Learn the behaviour of your bike... at any conditions.

Ad B

Don't think GVW was claiming to be a genius in this, just human. And, while I do not know the situation all over Europe, there are -- even in the east of the US - many desolate stretches without fuel for many miles. Plus, while I suppose most any commercial automotive fuel is better than a sputtering coast to the side of the road in BFE, Nowhere, many of us believe prayer and a sinless life will get us to a fuel point with non-ethanol premium-grade gasoline for our sweet machines. :whistle:

pete roper said:
th_Poke_Badger.gif

Paging Mr, Hagan! Mr. Hagan to the courtesy phone!!!! :lol:

Pete

Thanks. It's true. Happily, had my support staff along. :lol:

Attachments

• 2011-11-05_17-23-36_97.jpg
    2011-11-05_17-23-36_97.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 643
  • 2011-11-05_16-58-50_801.jpg
    2011-11-05_16-58-50_801.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 643
  • 2011-11-05_17-26-29_179.jpg
    2011-11-05_17-26-29_179.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 645
OK, I bet nobody's gonna match my "2011 Dummest G8VSE Owner" record: I've done it twice in 6 months...

I have run out twice in the car when the trip computer had a hick-up and said I had 140k to go, with a 70 litre fuel tank that variation is possible.

With any new bike I would drain and measure capacity and reserve. Zero trip whenever I fill up. When I hit reserve a quick mental calculation will tell me how far reserve will last at current usage rates.

However, the Bellagio has no tap so I am relying on a yellow light and another computerised trip meter, hope its more reliable than the Ford item.

The "Hagan" support system is very wise until you know for sure.

Did this deliberately 6 months ago on my way home from a weekend trip.
As I had a couple of litres of spare fuel with me and not that far from home I let it run dry to see how far I could go on a tank and on reserve.
I hit the reserve light at 230km and it came to a stop at 300km so I got 70km out of the reserve. I was on my own carrying camping gear, throw over bags and rear ventura rack bag and a tank bag, so reasonably heavily loaded. I also continued at the same pace which was at or above the local speedlimits where appropriate so I wasn't being deliberately conservative but wasn't in pretend racer mode. Worked out to be 5.5km per 100 liters or 50mpg (imperial)

I regularly let it run to 40-50km on reserve whilst looking for fuel but I always check the fuel usage on the instrument display before taking this decision, obviously if consumption is high I tend to be a bit more conservative and fill up earlier. I find the fuel usage reading on my bike to be very accuarate as I have compared it wih manual refill caculations may times. My bike has always been pretty efficient and I am happy to trust my instruments.

Mark

Hi,

it wasn't my intension to say sombody is really stupid or a dumbo.... :blush:
But I'm going to laugh every time I hear this or see somebody standing along the road :side: ,
who I will try to help, off course.
And maybe I'm living in a luxurious enviremont.
I always can get fuell within 10-30 km. In strong religious regions (yes, we still have them... :blink: ) not on Sunday... B)
Driving on the highway in Europe, most of the time, the distance till the next gasstation is written on the first sign of a petrol station.
Than I can calculate if I'm going to take gas at 190 km or (for instance) at 240 km (if the next is at 50 km...).
I can drive and calculate at the same time :ugeek: , take gas better 10 km to early than 100 mtr to late :whistle: and more of this.
That's why I'm not a walker... :mrgreen:

Ad B

Ad B,

What you say about Europe is true. That is why since the mid 90s I've wanted to get the fuel tank designers here to the US and send them on a ride. Fuel stops here can be few and far between, and there is no signage to tell you the distance to the next fuel stop. Tiny tanks make long distance riding interesting here. I went so far as to modify the fuel tank on my 1998 EV to 6.8 US gallons so I could get somewhere and not worry about running out of fuel. I even kept that tank for my 2003 EV (just had it painted to match the bike). It wasn't until 2006 and the 6 gallon tank on the 1100 Breva that I parted with the cash for a new bike. I would have kept the 2003 until it was completely worn out other wise.

Ad B said:
I always can get fuell within 10-30 km. In strong religious regions (yes, we still have them... :blink: ) not on Sunday...
Well, here in the south-eastern US bible belt we still have prohibition-era county laws that prohibit the sale of alcoholic beverages on Sunday... so much for the separation of church and state... anyhow, I definitely prefer that than not being able to find gas :mrgreen:

So this one time...
I let my buddy ride my Honda. He ran it down into reserve and didn't tell me. I was riding it home and ran out of gas, flipped to reserve, no joy. Back then I was still a squid and was riding in uniform (a no no) and pretty close to base. No cell phone back then. So there I am pushing my bike, in uniform. I probably pushed it for a mile before I could get off the freeway. I was more worried about getting in trouble for riding in uniform than having to push.

I did it coming out of Gillette, Wyoming in 2008 on the Quota. Was planning on taking the interstate toward Beartooth Pass and Red Lodge beyond. I knew I should top off in Gillette but the sign said something like, gas 56 miles. So I took off.

At the 56 mile mark or what ever it was. I pulled off the interstate only to find the service station boarded up and abandoned. I knew I was screwed. Not enough gas to make it to the next exit, not enough to get back to Gillette. So I kept going in my intended direction. Went quite a ways until the bike started sputtering and quit. I got my gear off and tied a red bandanna to my left handlebar.

Now, what amazed me about this was. I was coming from the BMW MOA Rally. And so were hundreds of other bikes. I sat there for forty minutes with bikes passing me, by the dozens. I couldn't believe it. Nobody even slowed down.

Finally some generous soul on a yellow GS with his wife on back stopped to help and offered some gas from his tank. A hose and an empty soda bottle had me up and running. The guy would take no money and turned down an offer for lunch. But followed me to the next gas station to make sure I made it. Great guy, just waved as I pulled in and kept going. That Quota had a smallish tank and was thirsty. Especially at highway speeds into a headwind. Lesson leaned.

I always stop when a bike is broke down along the road, no matter what.

LostViking said:
I did it coming out of Gillette, Wyoming in 2008 on the Quota. Was planning on taking the interstate toward Beartooth Pass and Red Lodge beyond. I knew I should top off in Gillette but the sign said something like, gas 56 miles. So I took off.

The west is tough like that. I was coming down I 5 in the general vicinity of Bakersfield one night. I knew gas stations on the freeway were few and far between. It was late at night too, several were closed. I ended up getting gas at every open station. Put like 30 cents on it one time.

Ah yep, Day three of new griso.
Found out i can do 43.5 ks on reserve :oops:
100 metres from servo

Giving it a bit were you Ralf? :lol: Sounds like you're using more fuel with the 03 map, mind you, they do take a long time to break in. Mine suddenly seemed to get 'Looser' at about 45,000Km. Fuel ecconomy has been steady at 5.4 L/100 Km since about 30,000km though so I may well be imagining it. Still waiting on yer stand and seat Ralf..... Sorry.

Pete

PS. Yer filters are here :roll: . They sent 'em separately despite me toicking the 'Don't ship until order complete' box, Grrrr!!!

Ran out once not long after getting my Stelvio (10 days).
Was expecting more on 'reserve', and was still showing the lower 'Bar' (of three).

Most I've done with the light on is 29miles (46.7km).
Most miles between fill-ups ~ 176 (ride home after buying it, nice gentle Motorway cruise, 60-70mph)
Most fuel put in ~ 16.5 lts

I've kept a record of all the Fuel I've used since day one (19th Sep 2015).
1020.55 lts ~ 224.49 UKGals ~ 9263 miles = 41.26mpg

On my G11 it was only 300 yds from my house that has a nasty uphill push.
On my V11 Lemans I found out that even though there's gas in the tank on downhills the engine will stall. Still this time I learned to walk the 1/4 mile home and not push the V11 - Mountain to the gas can.

The real question is what's the record for how far away from a gas stop you ran out of gas - and who has the record?

Long, long ago, in a land far ... anyways while learning to ride (1971-or so, 2 up on a 125 Suzuki) we ran out of gas coming home from the bar.
Everything (including the bar) was closed. My mentor (egads!) showed me how much gas is left in the gas pump hose after the station is shut for the night.
Each hose (at the time) would give several ounces. 4 or five pumps would give enough to get home. I dunno about today's set ups as now a days I refuel the daily driver at 200 miles. Usually that is about 20 minutes to half hour before reserve is needed. Also, I am home and asleep long before the stations close.

YMMV

Alex

Back