• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Horrible Fuel Mileage

Pb4uride

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
With 12,000 miles on a '15 NTX I have been struggling to achieve decent fuel mileage. The dash fuel mileage tracker has always been totally inaccurate. Things done that may affect aerodynamics:
Canister Ventdectomy
Pirelli Adventure tires
Small add on windscreen deflector
Givi trunk
flashed with the latest aftermarket map 9/11/16 (02 sensors off)

On paper, tracking fuel consumption over 3400 miles it averaged 32mpg

I had a buddy re-flash back to the latest stock map which also had the 02 sensors off and on paper the Stelvio did improve to 35mpg.

35mpg is still horrible!

So, what mpg are you really getting?

Depends on how you ride mostly. My full GT-Rx kitted '13 gets a solid 44-45. Less if I'm playing in the hills, and up to 50+ if the air temps are high and I'm on a trip. Low air temps means more consumption. Been that way for decades now.
Playing with the fuel map when you don't have AFR data is not only detrimental, but can be downright harmful to the motor. Plenty of people doing it these days it seems. Best of luck.

With 12,000 miles on a '15 NTX I have been struggling to achieve decent fuel mileage. The dash fuel mileage tracker has always been totally inaccurate. Things done that may affect aerodynamics:
Canister Ventdectomy
Pirelli Adventure tires
Small add on windscreen deflector
Givi trunk
flashed with the latest aftermarket map 9/11/16 (02 sensors off)

On paper, tracking fuel consumption over 3400 miles it averaged 32mpg

I had a buddy re-flash back to the latest stock map which also had the 02 sensors off and on paper the Stelvio did improve to 35mpg.

35mpg is still horrible!

I get between 42 and 44 mpg that is actual MPG when riding at or near the posted speed limit, a little less if riding more aggressively.
Mine has the full boat tune package from Todd.
Bob

The computer will be off by 20% or so on the high side. My personal opinion is they screwed up the calculations and you are reading imperial gal and not US gal. Subtract 20% and you should be close to actual.

I run stock mapping and get anywhere from mid 30 to mid to high 40 MPUSG. I played with all the aftermarket maps and turning off the O2 sensors and while the ride was slightly better I could never justify the hit to mileage. That is what happens when u run static maps.

It is all in the way you ride. It is a pig in town with stop and go. Just straight highway you are good. Also cruising around in 4th gear in town will give you crappy mileage. It is all in the way it is ridden.

Go back to full stock and see what happens. You have enough mileage on the bike that most of the break in issues have passed. You may find that the ride is just as good and the mileage better. That being said with colder weather comes higher mileage so make sure you discount that.

All that being said there are different options if you don't like stock. I am sure Todd could hook you up with somethIng keeping mileage in mind.

Highway 44 to 48 mpg, around town, 38 mpg. That is with a remapped ECU, & aftermarket exhaust (Mistral).

My personal opinion is they screwed up the calculations and you are reading imperial gal and not US gal. Subtract 20% and you should be close to actual
The converse is true, the computer is configured for US gallon, not Imperial. As the US gallon is 20% smaller than Imperial, if it were Imperial the mpg figure would be 20% higher.

When I was using the bike (2014 NTX with panniers & top-box) for commuting (10-miles each way) I was getting 38-41MPG but now it is only used for longer journeys (min 40-miles) it has gone up to a regular 45MPG.
These are not from the computer by the way (which as you say is a bit optimistic) but by the way I have always done it:- Zero the trip and brim the tank every time so I know exactly how much has gone in and how far I have gone. Been doing it this way for over 35-years and it hasn't let me down yet.

My personal opinion is they screwed up the calculations and you are reading imperial gal and not US gal. Subtract 20% and you should be close to actual
The converse is true, the computer is configured for US gallon, not Imperial. As the US gallon is 20% smaller than Imperial, if it were Imperial the mpg figure would be 20% higher.

Agreed. He is saying his computer is reading higher (better) than actual. All the 2012+ do it. Mine is off by exactly 20% as compared to actual.

I have the 2012 Norge and my mileage is off by more than 20%. The bike gives me this optimistic 46-48mpg figure. I have Todd's reflash but that changed my mileage so little I can't swear it did. I get 33-36mpg and that is it. I hate the fact that 200 miles on a 6 gallon tank is pushing it beyond safe. Yes, I whine about it every chance I get but I still ride the bike. I love the 53-58mpg my little 650 V-Strom gets so the 5.3 gallon tank has gone 275 miles with some left. Highway drops it a lot on both bikes.

My mileage, in Miles per USGallon(blue), Imperial Gallon(red), and Litres per 100km
Standard map. 2012 NTX. (over 30,000km x-axis is odometer in KM)

Stel milage

I have the 2012 Norge and my mileage is off by more than 20%. The bike gives me this optimistic 46-48mpg figure. I have Todd's reflash but that changed my mileage so little I can't swear it did. I get 33-36mpg and that is it. I hate the fact that 200 miles on a 6 gallon tank is pushing it beyond safe. Yes, I whine about it every chance I get but I still ride the bike. I love the 53-58mpg my little 650 V-Strom gets so the 5.3 gallon tank has gone 275 miles with some left. Highway drops it a lot on both bikes.
I hear ya. Your Norge and my Stelvio are acting the same when it comes to MPG. I just did another fill tank to rim & calc miles on OD and it came out to 33.4 mpg. I sure hope I can find someone to flash my Stelvio with another map to try.

I've kept a record of all the Fuel I've used since I got mine ('09, in Sep '15).
To date I've burned 1020litres ~ 224.5UK Gallons, and done 9263miles = 41.26mpg
I don't rag it everywhere, nor do I dawdle much.
I'd guess 70% of that is Motorway Mileage, so 80-85mph mostly.

Just over 40mpg (imperial) on a 25 mile commute, nearly 50mpg on a long, constant speed run (say 80-85mph)

Back