• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso 1200 8v revving issues

Yes all gears particularly under load. In first gear happens at 6500, in higher gears from 6000-6200 depending on load. If just goes blaat like it runs out of fuel or spark is retarded severely. COmes on like a switch....

My 'freind' is a Griso Ghetto freind. His issue came on suddenly, my bike had the problem when I got it. the PO never spun the motor past 5K rpm so no idea on history. I bought the bike with 1500 miles. Is a 2014.

I've re-flashed the ECU, got a new 'stock' map, and a 'beetle map' the Beetle map makes some improvements, but doesn't eliminate. The bike starts and runs FLAWLESSLY, pulls strong until this point and fall off.

Probably not a venting issue, though I havent checked the fuel supply.

Does it do it all gears.

I find it strange that both yours and your friends to the exact same thing. Any map updates that you both shared. R u running a stock map?

If not a map fueling issue could be fuel supply. Either a filter or venting issue or a pump issue. It is a strange one. I will give it that.

Yes all gears particularly under load. In first gear happens at 6500, in higher gears from 6000-6200 depending on load. If just goes blaat like it runs out of fuel or spark is retarded severely. COmes on like a switch....

My 'freind' is a Griso Ghetto freind. His issue came on suddenly, my bike had the problem when I got it. the PO never spun the motor past 5K rpm so no idea on history. I bought the bike with 1500 miles. Is a 2014.

I've re-flashed the ECU, got a new 'stock' map, and a 'beetle map' the Beetle map makes some improvements, but doesn't eliminate. The bike starts and runs FLAWLESSLY, pulls strong until this point and fall off.

Probably not a venting issue, though I havent checked the fuel supply.

Definetly a weird one. Does not sound map related since you tried various versions. Thought maybe the map had a wrong redline limit in it.

I would have to say fuel or air related. Start simple first. Crack the gas cap and go for a ride. That will eliminate the venting question although I would agree it does not sound like a vent issue.
Check the air box to make sure the filter is not plugged or the air intake. Did the previous owner pull the canister and perhaps mess up the hoses.

If that all checks out the it gets more complicated. Maybe a fuel filter or fuel pump issue. That would require a replacement or at a minimum a fuel pressure test.

Lastlyit may be spark related. I wonder if the phase sensor is starting to go and not sending a proper signal at higher rpm. That is just a wild ass guess as I am not even sure if that is possible. Maybe someone else can comment on that one.

The fact that it is load related make me still think fuel or air so start there and see what happens.

I was thinking the same with the phase sensor being out of alignment.

As far as load, the bike will rev to limiter when in neutral (no I don't do it often and only when fully warmed up) and the higher the gear/load the sooner it comes up. Kind of unsafe to hit 6K in top gear, but in 4th the bogging happens before 6K. I'm thinking fuel supply. I just wish someone else with the issue could chime in with a solution.

I am going to pull the pump/filter today and swap out with an all metal one and will pull the injectors off stick in a jar and use guzzidiag to trigger to see what the spray pattern looks like. I may also try to do some logging.

I've already checked the airbox, but will check again. Also did the plugs and valve adjust, and TB sync.

The PO was a poser, rode the bike like a little girl, never spun the motor past 5K, and did nothing but ride it. It did have its first service at a guzzi dealer. The bike was a 2014 leftover, bought in October of 2015, traded in Jan of 16 with 1400-1500 miles on it. Sold to a wholesaler who I bought it from. It mostly sat from January to July of last year when I bought it. The wholesaler had it, rode it around but also 'short shifted'

I'm happy with the bike and power and has no issue with speed, etc. I've put 5K miles on it this way and it is ONLY an issue if I want to rev past 6K. Though you DONT need to run a Guzzi to redline, I tend to stay in a 4K-7K rev range, and would like to be able to do that when I want to move out, etc.

Pete Roper thinks it may be a clogged cat. That's a $400 check though..... lol. I am saving $$ to upgrade the whole exhaust next year.

I'm going to take it to MI to see if they can get it settled before I have to put it in storage (upcoming military deployment) but if they cant find it easily, I will plug away at it. I got the bike for a steal so I don't mind a little 'work'

Definetly a weird one. Does not sound map related since you tried various versions. Thought maybe the map had a wrong redline limit in it.

I would have to say fuel or air related. Start simple first. Crack the gas cap and go for a ride. That will eliminate the venting question although I would agree it does not sound like a vent issue.
Check the air box to make sure the filter is not plugged or the air intake. Did the previous owner pull the canister and perhaps mess up the hoses.

If that all checks out the it gets more complicated. Maybe a fuel filter or fuel pump issue. That would require a replacement or at a minimum a fuel pressure test.

Lastlyit may be spark related. I wonder if the phase sensor is starting to go and not sending a proper signal at higher rpm. That is just a wild ass guess as I am not even sure if that is possible. Maybe someone else can comment on that one.

The fact that it is load related make me still think fuel or air so start there and see what happens.

I was thinking the same with the phase sensor being out of alignment.

As far as load, the bike will rev to limiter when in neutral (no I don't do it often and only when fully warmed up) and the higher the gear/load the sooner it comes up. Kind of unsafe to hit 6K in top gear, but in 4th the bogging happens before 6K. I'm thinking fuel supply. I just wish someone else with the issue could chime in with a solution.

I am going to pull the pump/filter today and swap out with an all metal one and will pull the injectors off stick in a jar and use guzzidiag to trigger to see what the spray pattern looks like. I may also try to do some logging.

I've already checked the airbox, but will check again. Also did the plugs and valve adjust, and TB sync.

The PO was a poser, rode the bike like a little girl, never spun the motor past 5K, and did nothing but ride it. It did have its first service at a guzzi dealer. The bike was a 2014 leftover, bought in October of 2015, traded in Jan of 16 with 1400-1500 miles on it. Sold to a wholesaler who I bought it from. It mostly sat from January to July of last year when I bought it. The wholesaler had it, rode it around but also 'short shifted'

I'm happy with the bike and power and has no issue with speed, etc. I've put 5K miles on it this way and it is ONLY an issue if I want to rev past 6K. Though you DONT need to run a Guzzi to redline, I tend to stay in a 4K-7K rev range, and would like to be able to do that when I want to move out, etc.

Pete Roper thinks it may be a clogged cat. That's a $400 check though..... lol. I am saving $$ to upgrade the whole exhaust next year.

I'm going to take it to MI to see if they can get it settled before I have to put it in storage (upcoming military deployment) but if they cant find it easily, I will plug away at it. I got the bike for a steal so I don't mind a little 'work'
Pull the exhaust off at see if you can see the cat. Not sure on the Griso but on the stelvio you can see the cat honey come from the engine side of the exhaust. I have seen those honey combs come apart. Should be an easy check. Even shacking the exhaust will tell you. Cats will plug from there own disintegration so you should be able to hear the pieces rattling around.

As inexplicable as it may sound, the right side cam was one tooth out. No known reason why. The Tech's at MI said that they checked both sides and that it was clear that the right side had been taken apart and reassembled. I got the bike at 1500 miles, and it had been serviced at a dealer in CA at 600 miles with NO warranty claims, so it is a mystery WHY someone would have done this. They also said that there was some silicone on the right side as well indicating some work. The rest of the bike checks out good, all is in spec and running well Cant wait to get it back, and see if I like the 8V motor more than the 4V 1100 in the GRiSO.
THANKS for all the help and advice.

As inexplicable as it may sound, the right side cam was one tooth out. No known reason why. The Tech's at MI said that they checked both sides and that it was clear that the right side had been taken apart and reassembled. I got the bike at 1500 miles, and it had been serviced at a dealer in CA at 600 miles with NO warranty claims, so it is a mystery WHY someone would have done this. They also said that there was some silicone on the right side as well indicating some work. The rest of the bike checks out good, all is in spec and running well Cant wait to get it back, and see if I like the 8V motor more than the 4V 1100 in the GRiSO.
THANKS for all the help and advice.
Did the same "mechanic" also work on your friends bike?
Weird that one bike would have this issue, but very odd that two bikes that know each other would. Unless the same guy botched both.

Did the same "mechanic" also work on your friends bike?
Weird that one bike would have this issue, but very odd that two bikes that know each other would. Unless the same guy botched both.

Unlikely, he is in Western Washington, this bike came from California.

Unlikely, he is in Western Washington, this bike came from California.
So, has your friend figured out what is wrong with his? It seems unlikely it is the exact same problem after all, but it could be a similar problem.

Back