• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V9 Bobber new owner, early impressions.

s-flow

Just got it firing!
First, hello! This is my first Guzzi so Im not sure what to expect

Previously ownd new bikes is Suzuki VL800, Kawasaki ZZR1400, Thriumph Thruxton 900, Kawasaki Z750, Yamaha XT1200ZE. I also owned a Honda ST1300 for a while.

Before I got the bobber, I tested the Ducati scrambler and for curiosity a Yamaha MT-07.
The scrambler was nice to handle and sounded good but the engine was nothing special except
the horrible behavior at lower speeds/rpm, very jerky. The MT-07 was perfectly refined in all ways but that
felt boring and soulless to me.

Now, the Guzzi, it seems Im going to like this one, the engine is appering to be wonderful as I like
"good vibrations", such that hammer when you throttle and smoothens out when easing the throttle and
cruise along. The power delivery is smooth and plenty strong enough (surprises me for 55hp..).

The clutch is light and seems to work properly, not much to say.

For the gearbox, Im still adopting to it... it works flawlessly but seems to like a little slower actions then my previous bikes (most japanees) did. Downshifts works smoothest without throttle blipping and when rpms
has fallen down.

The handling is a bit sharper the I would expect from just looking at the bike, nimble at low speeds, stable at high speed and nice in sweeping twists at any speed.
Suspension probably have to break in during an extended time, that is my experience from lots of new bikes. As it is now it's a quite harsh ride at the rear.

The mechanical noises from the engine is well keept under control, it simply sounds nice and the exhaust note is great, maybe a bit quiet for some.

The hi-beam switch is doubtfully located, I tend to accidently flip it on now and then.
There is some minor "drive-line lash" or "gearbox play" or whatever it could be that makes for a bit of
jerkyness at crawl speeds if not beeing carfull with the throttle, nothing like the Ducati though.

The seat actually works great for the lenght of of rides Iv done, up to only about 100 km though.

Overall Im excited and positive to the Moto Guzzi, coming from a few hi-tech/new-tech japanees
bikes I see no reason to stay away from a Guzzi.. so far at least

btw, I shouldn't doubt it but the manual says valve clearence adjustment at every maintainence intervall,
is that familiar to Guzzis?

Best regards, Daniel

Valve clearance is checked at every service interval. Only adjust if needed. Also it is easy using a screw and lock nut. Once the valve train settles in, less adjustment is needed, but do continue to check. This is pretty common on push rod twins such as Guzzi and BMW. Shim and bucket engines stay in tolerance longer, but adjustment is more involved. Be glad you didn't get the Ducati. Service for them with valve adjustment runs about $800.00 (USD)at many Ducati dealers in the US.

First, hello! This is my first Guzzi so Im not sure what to expect
Hi Daniel, congrats on the V9(!), and welcome to the Guzzi and GT Famiglia. Hope you'll be the first to add your info to the Registry; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v9-registry-picture-thread-add-your-bike.16400/

Guzzi ownership takes a hands-on approach; Analog instead of digital. Get to know your bike, and be sure to read up on this Forum to find all of the possible problems that might arise. Your new V9 is just a newer updated version.
The "small block" Guzzi has been around since the late 1970's, and has had many models and engine sizes and even cylinder heads (2V & 4V) over the years. The V9 uses bigger bore pistons, and likely uses the hemi-head design from the two small block Guzzi engines that power the RQ-5 Hunter military drone.
Guzzi has quite the history, so get to know and enjoy it. Possibly even a visit to the Factory is well worth the time for the GMG in September.
Anyway, welcome again, and post often.

Seriously considering the V9 Bobber. Either that or the Triumph T120.

Reading a lot of negativity on this board with the V9s. Tradition? Sometimes change is hard to accept. The outside reviews are pretty positive. I rode it and liked it. Time will tell. Soon . . .

Hey rjc! I think a lot of the negative comes from disappointment I know it does with me. The new design is a big change from what I consider to be Guzzi styling that has been so appealing for so many years.

I have not seen the V9 in person so it may be like when the Cal 1400 was introduced: I did not like it at all but when I saw one "in the flesh" I bought it. So don't let our negative attitude steer you away from a really good bike.

The next few years will tell more about the V9 & it will be interesting to see what Todd will do with one of these.

I think the biggest issue around here about the V9 is more of a looks thing. And as looks are subjective that may have little to no bearing on you and your opinion.
The motor seems to be an improvement over the V7, hence Todd looking into converting a V9 into a V9 powered V7.

S-flow, sounds like a great bike to me. Best of luck with it!

Rjc, I think it's mostly prejudice against what is perceived to be styling and ergonomic choices that are too close to Harley for some Guzzi riders (who fall closer to Ducati in those areas). Personal I could see owning one, or that T120 Black which is a real nice bike. I would probably choose the V9 in the end for the shaft drive and simple valve adjustments, but I "get" the Bonnie as well.

I was real close to buying the new T120 1200 Bonny (or Thruxton R) but the local dealer is pretty shady & then Todd put his rental Griso on the market so I added it instead.

I finished my first season on my new V9 now and for me, it has been a great experience. I mean, you get what you pay for, it was EUR 9000 and it's the entry level category, can't compare it to an Indian Scout or Victory Gunner which would have been much fancier choices but around EUR 5000 more expensive. V9 has it's cheap parts and complete lack of included accessories (being a bobber is a good excuse to not include as much as rev counter or document box under the seat but oops, did we tell you the roamer does not get any extras too, though it's more expensive...) but on the other hand it has included ABS and traction control, so go figure.

There's nothing much to compare the V9 to in it's price class because of the shaft drive. Eliminate chain drive bikes and see what you can get for that money, most probably it will have a rear drum brake and flight controls from the 1980s, don't even dream about ABS, trip computer or a clock.

I've heard about 50% of some V9 dispatches have a rear end leak, the dealer orders new gaskets and bolts and usually it takes more than one visit to get it tight, but when it's done it's done, no more immediate technical issues. The rear end leak is not a simple gasket fitting problem, it has to do with the whole assembly not sitting properly together or bent/stretched bolts or something, someone suggested that dealers are expecting some callback next year. But again, it's a minor issue especially if you're ware of it, when taking a brand new V9 to a long trip, at least make sure you know what kind of oil the rear end takes and how to top it up if you don't want to go as far as actually buying and carrying the oil.

On my last visit to my local shop, he had the rear end of a brand new V9 apart for this very issue...how many years have they been doing these, and they can't get it right? Is it a new design?

On my last visit to my local shop, he had the rear end of a brand new V9 apart for this very issue...how many years have they been doing these, and they can't get it right? Is it a new design?

Yes it's a disgrace but sadly this is the reality of today's production economy. Sell, sell, sell, get the product out of the door, the business arm of the company rules over the engineering and technology. It is an updated design (it's not a single shaft now but has two U-joints to clear the thicker back wheel) and obviously it would have needed a year or two testing before release, but they seem to test on the customers.

If you have followed the news, the Triumph Bonneville Bobber was just released yesterday. Every goddamn bike manufacturer is rushing to milk the new trend and I bet Guzzi business side was prepared to make the engineers shit bricks, should the need be, to get their version of a Bobber out of the door as soon as possible.

Reviving old tread here...

I love my Bobber, I adjusted the valves on it and I must say it was the best valve job ever. I thought my '71 Triumph was easy and quick, this took no time whatsoever and barely got my hands dirty too.
The torque/twist given by the engine is what makes this Guzzi a Guzzi. It has soul, and to that the punching of the pistons under load is what makes this Guzzi a Guzzi.
Hey, it's a Guzzi.

Well perhaps the most important thing about the valve job is that the cylinders are sticking out on the sides. Work on the valves a little more or less, no big difference, but when you have to remove the tank and seat, intake manifold and what not, that would be a bummer. Same thing on the old BMW engines, you can nearly overhaul the engine without disconnecting as much as the throttle cable.

Well, it seems that I am one of the lucky ones with the leaky rear drive on my V9. Just over 100 miles and less than 2 weeks of ownership. Oh well, I knew this sort of thing going in and it appears to be a straight-foward fix. I just wish the dealer were closer. I must say, though, I love this bike, quirks and all. Its perfect for backroad cruising on moderately curvy roads at reasonable speeds. Love the character of the engine and the seating position. I had to adjust my shifter up a bit as it seemed to be positioned for Italian loafers rather than boots, but that was simple thanks to the turnbuckle design.

Well, it seems that I am one of the lucky ones with the leaky rear drive on my V9. Just over 100 miles and less than 2 weeks of ownership. Oh well, I knew this sort of thing going in and it appears to be a straight-foward fix. I just wish the dealer were closer. I must say, though, I love this bike, quirks and all. Its perfect for backroad cruising on moderately curvy roads at reasonable speeds. Love the character of the engine and the seating position. I had to adjust my shifter up a bit as it seemed to be positioned for Italian loafers rather than boots, but that was simple thanks to the turnbuckle design.

Report back when you learn exactly what was the problem and what did they do/change. It seems that about 50% of them leak but the question is, should we, the other 50%, also worry and perhaps do the same job before it starts to leak.

My V9B is on its way back to Sloan's. Fortunately, Progressive roadside assistance has Sloan's listed as the closest available authorized service center, so the tow is taken care of. I will certainly let everyone know what the outcome is, though I suspect it could be awhile if this is a widespread problem in other parts of the world. But, I do have to say- even on the back of the tow truck it is a good-looking bike!

Ontowtruck

****t would have needed a year or two testing before release, but they seem to test on the customers. ****

Yup, see my tagline below my name. :swear:

[Edited to say this is what I thought that tagline said: "Proud Member of Moto Guzzi's Envy-of-the-Industry Post-Sale R&D Program!" Can't figure out to change it quickly. :drunk:

My V9B is on its way back to Sloan's. Fortunately, Progressive roadside assistance has Sloan's listed as the closest available authorized service center, so the tow is taken care of. I will certainly let everyone know what the outcome is, though I suspect it could be awhile if this is a widespread problem in other parts of the world. But, I do have to say- even on the back of the tow truck it is a good-looking bike!

<pic snipped>

Agree.

Very nice.

The darn things are growing on me.

Bill

Dewinterized my Bobber yesterday, so here we go 2nd season. It's still crazy cold here, raises to only 35-40*F during daytime, so I have been riding only a few miles at a time in city. Anyway, first thing I noticed is this - the bike is damn perfect. It took a full winter watching reviews of other bikes and what not to finally realize I do not want to trade the V9 for anything in the foreseeable future. V7 III or what ever, they are good bikes, but the blacked out Bobber is something special :)

From technical side, because it's a 2016 model, because I live in the northern hemisphere and because I took it out so early, I'm probably one of the first ones to go through the winterizing cycle. My bike was in a shed so it had cover but otherwise it was the outside climate, down to 5*F at times. I did nothing to the bike, only added fuel stabilizer, filled the tank and removed the battery. Yesterday, in went the battery and it started right away. Tires had minimal loss, I rode away instantly and only topped up the pressure in the next gas station. I think because the battery was off, the computer was calibrating sensors in the beginning and the speedometer was off by some 40km/h. Initially it showed 40km/h in idle and rose from there when riding. Anyway, that went away gradually and now the speed reading seems to be accurate again. I didn't have chance to test it last fall but now I know first hand that it starts and rides fine around freezing temperatures, no particular troubles with thick oils or anything.

Official word on my V9 - overfilled rear drive from the factory. No other problems were found and its got about 40 miles on it so far and no leaks of any sort.

Back