• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Possible New Owner, Advice Needed

Guzzi_wannabe

Just got it firing!
Right now I'm on a '14 Multistrada. I love it, admittedly, but I am just looking for something different. There is a '16 Stornello at the dealer, for a good price. I'm considering a trade. Now, a little background and my question.

I am NOT mechanical. I have never changed my own oil on a vehicle or motorcycle. That said, I actually am a quick learner and very much a hands on learner. SO.... after reading more and more it seems like the Guzzi really is a hands-on bike, at least for the first couple thousand miles. Is this the right bike for someone like me? Will I be able to learn, valve adjustments, as I go? I do know someone with a V7 I racer that does his own work so I can lean on him as much as possible, but I guess I'm just looking for support that I can do this on my own as well.

Any particular resources I should start looking at now?

They are prepping the bike for me to test later this week. If I love it, like I think I will, I will likely make the trade.

Thanks

I think it helps a lot since you have a friend with a simular bike and you are a quick learner. I myself also have a friend with the same bike as me so if I have questions or if he does we can help each other out. I also use this site to learn a lot about my bike and also the workshop manual. I think if you decide to buy it you will be more then ok. Let us know what you decide

Right now I'm on a '14 Multistrada. I love it, admittedly, but I am just looking for something different. There is a '16 Stornello at the dealer, for a good price. I'm considering a trade. Now, a little background and my question.

I am NOT mechanical. I have never changed my own oil on a vehicle or motorcycle. That said, I actually am a quick learner and very much a hands on learner. SO.... after reading more and more it seems like the Guzzi really is a hands-on bike, at least for the first couple thousand miles. Is this the right bike for someone like me? Will I be able to learn, valve adjustments, as I go? I do know someone with a V7 I racer that does his own work so I can lean on him as much as possible, but I guess I'm just looking for support that I can do this on my own as well.

Any particular resources I should start looking at now?

They are prepping the bike for me to test later this week. If I love it, like I think I will, I will likely make the trade.

Thanks

Mate. People have always loved the simplicity of the Moto Guzzi configuration and I am no exception. The engine, gearbox and final drive is all lined up nice and neat, just like a car. The V7 has two valves per head (half the amount of work compared to other more complex twins) and they stick out in the breeze and you don't even have to lift the tank off to adjust said valves.

It's always good to start small, rerouting cables and lines is a good place to start as sometimes from the factory they're routed a bit odd. From there dropping the oil from the sump is just one or two bolts and changing the oil and air filters are nice and simple (the fuel filter is a little more complex...). Final drive requires at a minimum 10,000,000 times less maintenance than a chain drive, which is GREAT. Just be sure to check the oil level in there with every service interval and you'll be good as gold.

So in a nutshell V7s consist of tyre checks, rerouting lines, changing fluids and filters and tightening the odd loose bolt here and there. Other than that, just fill it up with fuel and ride it. Once you're past the break-in period you can really start having fun in the mid to upper RPM range, that's where my V7 likes to be through the corners =)

You will notice less power than the Multistrada, but it is a smaller bike and easier to handle. As stated above, routine maintenance is very simple. Also since you will have a new bike, the first service should be done by the dealer. Be sure to document any subsequent services. As the saying goes, Moto Guzzi, making mechanics our of riders since 1921!!

You will notice less power than the Multistrada, but it is a smaller bike and easier to handle. As stated above, routine maintenance is very simple. Also since you will have a new bike, the first service should be done by the dealer. Be sure to document any subsequent services. As the saying goes, Moto Guzzi, making mechanics our of riders since 1921!!
Ha! Interesting way of putting it.

Thanks for all of the advice.

One of the main reasons I bought my Griso 1100 was because the maintenance is so simple, I Get 'ER Done in less time than it takes for me to ride it to the dealer. And we're not talking about getting home or making the second trip to pick it up.

Still I keep looking at a 1000 DS Multistrada because I have all this free time from not working on my Griso, Lemans V11 or V50.

Working on Guzzi's is part of my Zen. Working on the wife's car just messes with my Zen.

Back