• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Final Drive Gear Oil Leaks V7 & V9

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Thread merge to cover this topic in one thread. Covers both V7 and V9 rear drive issues. Starting with below...

When I got back from a 35 mile easy break-in ride on my V9 yesterday, I noticed the right side of the back tire had streaks of liquid that appeared to be radiating out from the center. Wiped it off and it was black and smelled like gear oil, not engine oil. Left the bike overnight and no drips appeared on the floor, and I couldn't find a visible source on the bike. How concerned should I be about this?

A. keep an eye on it and keep riding gently
B. call roadside assistance and have it immediately take to shop
C. common problem, ya noob, and here's how to fix it

No matter, I bought a Guzzi knowing that there could be some teething issues that might need to get worked out. I love the bike more each time I ride it- up to about 150 miles now.

Brian
Ringgold, GA

V9 RearDriveLeak

As John says above. I have also found on many V7's & 9's -- that the rear drive flange bolts under the wheel were loose. We check tightness on all we service.

Is it possible that the rear drive is not venting correctly? This was the longest, warmest ride I have been on by far. I noticed that the V7 has a vent at the top of the rear drive and my V9 has a flush-fitting rubber plug. Is there a vent underneath the plug? It looks better but seems like it would be an impediment to venting. I could have sworn that I read new Guzzis had roadside assistance, but I have not found that information in my paperwork yet.

Dunno if I'm missing something here but you started out by saying "got back from a ride". So you are not at roadside, you don't need roadside assistance. Now coming to the leak, it is a full-blown leak, a common issue and needs a fix under warranty. There's not much point to wonder what and why exactly, venting or not, it needs a warranty service anyway (and probably they'll replace bolts and gasket because they're all ruined in case the bolts were too lose initially). Contact your dealer and work out a plan/agreement, that's all there is to do really. You can check the rear end oil level, get the right oil, top it up and ride to the dealer carefully, but I would to that only as a last resort. You should not get your hands dirty and make extra expenses on a new bike and secondly it is not a good thing to ride with a lubricated tire. The tire may also need replacement, do some research on this. They will probably not offer it, but perhaps you can demand it.

It's been at the dealer since last week. Actually, per my insurance, roadside assistance, ie towing, is available no matter where the bike is parked, if it is immobile for mechanical or safety concerns. So, they towed it the 110 miles to my dealer without complaint. I have not yet been able to speak to the tech, but the service writer thinks that it was a "breather" issue. I am due some additional information tomorrow. In the meantime, they are replacing a leaking fork seal but the bike should be ready to pick up this week.

Picked the bike up yesterday and put just a few miles on it last night before the rains came. No additional leakage seen yet. The dealership cleaned everything up, then rode a few miles until they saw some oil. They took the back wheel off and traced the oil leak to the breather. They said that they were not able to see any oil coming from any seals. So, they checked the rear end oil level and found it to be noticeably overfilled. So, their theory is just that the factory overfill and heat from a longer ride and warmer say caused the breather to vent. I am hopeful that it was that simple, but we will see as mileage is added. They put about 30 miles on the bike at my request and no signs of additional oil on the tire. Whether this diagnosis turns out to be the root cause or not, I felt like they were being as straightforward as possible and were easy to work with (Sloan's Motorcycle in Murfreesboro, TN). Nice folks.

can't speak for the V9 but if a V7 is so much as one tenth of an ounce over what they say to put in it's going to spit it out. voice of experience. I also suspect it might not like some oils. if it happens again drain the hot oil out and put in the right amount yourself.

Bike has been ridden 120 miles since the rear-end oil was set to correct factory specs. I have not seen any evidence of leaking. Although I feel a little silly for assuming the worst upfront, better to have it straightened out under warranty than taking a chance. But, I am l glad it was something so simple. The more I ride this bike the more I love it!

Did you have them check the bolts for tightness since it was in the shop? Don't want to have a actual leak if it can be prevented.

Hi All,
Out for a ride today on my 2012 V7 Stone and noticed black oil on the rear wheel rim and tyre.
On inspection it seems there is a leak coming from the shaft drive bezel housing!
Any ideas???

Wildhenry.

5 year old oil seal... that or the flange bolts are loose.

Ta!
I thought that perhaps a new oil seal is needed as the bolts are really tight.
Thanks again.....phew an easy fix I guess?

Ta!
I thought that perhaps a new oil seal is needed as the bolts are really tight.
Thanks again.....phew an easy fix I guess?
Well, there are three points of failure. Two oil seals (inner and outer) and paper flange gaskets.

Bravo guys, my leak arrived today at 6000 km on the odometer, some 2000km into the second season. So my bike is a late bloomer, others sold last summer over here were all in for service right away but mine kept oil in up to this point. I'll let you know of the outcome and all the details as they become available.

Attachments

• 20170507_210141.jpg
    20170507_210141.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 49
Hello Folks, I'm new to the forum and glad I found it.
I have a 2013 Stone. I bought it around a month ago with 2300 miles on it. I put 500 on it and the other morning I noticed oil on my rear wheel. I looked at the final drive and it is coming from there. It's hard to believe that with low mileage that the seals would be leaking on this thing. After reading through some of the threads on this site, I saw some mention of the breather plug not working properly. I took it off and ran some water over to clean it off before I tried to blow through it. When it had water in it I couldn't blow through it, but once the water drained I could. I'm wondering if oil could have gotten up to it and kept the pressure from revealing causing oil to leak around the seal.
Any advice? Anyone else run into this issue? Is this a common problem with the bike model?

And in addition to what John says above, I have found many of them have loose bolts from the factory on the inside flange. This means you have to remove the wheel to get to them. If you're lucky, you can just tighten them and ride. If you are unlucky, it may leak again and you'll have to replace the paper gasket(s).
Dealer might be best unless you are comfortable with this.

So it was fixed under warranty as expected. From what I heard, they refitted everything with new seals. Allegedly there is a sharp edge somewhere on a shaft that severed a ring seal during assembly, so there is a standard procedure - grind down the sharp spot and refit with new seals. Service experience was bad, bike sat at the dealer for 17 days waiting for a few hour job just because the dealer was not adequately staffed. This depends on one's expectations and prior experiences with other vehicle manufacturers but considering they have already decided not take action pro-actively, they should do better to mop up after their own serious failures. By "them" I mean Guzzi and the local dealer together, as a customer, I cannot be asked to arbitrate between the two and give leeway either to one or the other because perhaps "it is not their fault".

Got my V9 back yesterday after oil leak repairs - they said the cause of leak was a vent valve split copper sealing washer - they never even took the back wheel out so hopefully the seals will hold.
The leak appeared after a 12 mile evening stroll on back roads averaging 32mph. IMG 2052

Back