• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

14 v7 racer dieing and smoking

Nick richards

Just got it firing!
hi guys new guy here I just bought a v7 racer love the lil bike super fun .but at about a 100mi it started dieing and upon restart it smokes. if it starts and idles at 5k when it chills out it won't idle and if it dose idle its 2k . this afternoon went out and started the bike it ran great for about 5mi then the silly ness started. dieing at stoplights and if u shut it of u better hope there's something to do because u will be waiting to start it back. Called dealership and wasn't that helpful and is 2hrs from me. Has anyone had this happen to them and how did u fix it tks

Do you have access to diagnostic software? If not your best option is to return to dealer. Sounds like a possible ECU problem and not just a sensor issue.

I made a point to ask the dealer if they had a certified mechanic for mg and of course the answer was yes sir and when I called service the response was they have three guys pretty good with them my heart fell out of my chest lol

Also iv only had the bike three days

Does the bike have any warranty left? If not, you're on your own anyway. Get your hands on some diagnostic software... I offer this one HERE.
Do a search here for similar symptoms. Sounds like it may be a faulty 02-sensor from memory.

It's has warranty. Thanks for the info Also wanted to get the programmer/diag tool from u with the tune just gave all the money for the bike and have to save up a lil money up to be able to buy lol. I wanted to go in to the dealership informed that way they wouldn't just stick a set of plugs in and send me on my way and me being none the wiser till it started messing up

Thanks for the info Also wanted to get the programmer/diag tool from u with the tune just gave all the money for the bike and have to save up a lil money up to be able to buy lol.
OK, gotcha... well the FT will do diagnostics as well, so save your $.
Unless you have someone nearby you can swap a sensor with for testing, you're kind of stuck... sorry.

Thanks again for the info a lot of people are not as willing to help a newb .as soon as I posted someone was willing to help it's very appreciated

Sorry to year you are having a rough go. Good (and bad) thing about modern bikes is they are computer controlled. Good in that if you have the proper diagnostic software, and someone who knows how to interpret it you can usually find the faulty bit and fix it. Bad in that unlike Toyota who have millions of iterations to get the software right, motorcycle companies, especially small ones like Piaggo/Moto Guzzi, have limited production, so hence many fewer reps.

I have the luxury of having a 2 good MG dealers within 2 hours of me. Clearly with only 100 mi on the clock you need to get this thing back to the selling dealer. They can come and pick it up if you need. Insist on it. If not find a buddy with a truck. Good think its a fairly svelte bike and will fit in the back of a truck!

Good luck partner. They are beautiful bikes and they are generally pretty reliable. Hang in there.

I hate to ask a stupid question but did you check the oil. if some dummy way overfilled it it could have blown a quart into the air box destroying the filter and basically drowning it to death. they need to be at the lowest line on the dip stick, warn and upright and not screwed in. worth a look.

What he said. Last thing you should do is assume that the dealer properly set up the bike and filled it with the right amount of oil. And that is easy enough to check. Also, did anything else happen right before it went south? Like filling the gas tank up? I have seen people accidentally put diesel in a motorcycle (swore it must have been that the pump had the wrong fuel in the tank......)
What color is the smoke?
You could pull the spark plugs and see how they look, that might give you additional info on what is going on. And it is very easy to do on a Guzzi.

Talked to dealership today there gonna drive the 2hrs to pick it up in the morning. spoke with the mg warranty guy he said the tps probaly wasn't reset or the evap was bad after he ask what it was doing .I explained also he told me the bike didn't need to warm up before I took off he said just start it and go. Also the pipe on the left side is getting blue and the pipe on the right side is just now getting the golden color just kind seem odd anyone else's doing this.checked oil it was good filter was good and plugs were tight and it blows blk smoke .

Wow, TPS reset out oh the blue, EVAP, and doesn't need to warm up. This place wouldn't give me any warm and fuzzies about their expertise.

I agree about not warming up bike before riding. Best to start and ride gently until everything warms up. As to the rest, it does seem questionable to hear that from them.

No warm up needed. Depending on how long you let it sit and idle that may cause the bluing. No air moving over the pipes will cause them to overheat and change color. Once my bikes take the throttle, which on most fuel injected bikes is about 10 seconds, I GENTLY ride off. Just don't run it hard till it gets warm.
I was leaning heavily towards the overfilled oil in the airbox scenario till you said it was black smoke. My knowledge of the V7 is limited but just for the heck of it is there anything near the air inlet? Like maybe a shop mechanic left a rag there? Otherwise I agree with Todd in that you need some diagnostics done.

Obviously two replies from people who don't own an early 1TB smallblock.

Not sure if the OP also has this problem but if I was working at his shop I wouldn't assume he didn't.

Yes 7 of the 8 fuel injected bikes I've owned and nearly all others I've ridden could take throttle and pull away right away. That's what surprised me about my V7 (and both my little bro's V7s, and a number of others around here).

Many (most?) early 1TB owners report cold start problems ranging from an inability to pull away to low gear surging (sometimes severe) if the motor is not allowed to warm up for a minute or two.

It varies with ambient conditions, and ironically for me appears to be worse in warmer conditions.

It seems like the heated O2 sensor comes up to temp too quick but the cold combustion chambers don't support leaner mixtures and the motor hunts as the ECM dances around lean and rich ratios.

Mine will literally stall if you just click it into gear under those conditions and start to let the clutch out. Give it another minute or two and it's fine, usually the rest of the day unless I stop somewhere for a few hours.

I have a similar experience as Kev M. My other FI bike, a 2015 Caponord requires no more than a few seconds before it will pull away without issue, though I don't push it until is warms a bit.

When I got my V7 in Jan, the dealer, AF1, cautioned to let it run at idle 30-60 seconds. I have done that and it works fine. The one time I forgot, it stalled on me.

So not sure this has much to do with your troubles. Does sound to me like some diagnostics are in order.

Good Luck.

Well the lil guy from the dealership made it here today and picked it up but I wanted to show him I wasn't a crazy man so I tried to start it it Tried lol eventually it came around and fired he tried to ride it on the trailer nope it wouldn't let it happen so we pushed it up on there was a super nice guy he kinda laughed and said well it is acting up I said yep felt vindicated because the first tech that I talked to or well talked down to me acted like I was silly but anyways thanks for all the info guys I'll let y'all know what they say and we will se if it's fixed second tech said we will keep it a few days and make sure it is fixed and treated me like a customer not a newsense believe I will ask for him from now on lol

Back