• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge headlight problem

theram

Just got it firing!
Having not had my bike out at night for a while I leave the lights on high beam in daylight for visibility. i had switched them to low when it started getting dark but when I went back to bright there wasn't anything there. First thought was a fuse, but they"re both on the same one. I'm thinking switch or a relay but haven't had any luck tracking it down. Don't want to start taking off fairing untill I know where i'm going.

Unlikely as there's two bulbs.

There's no relays involved, so no sense looking there. Does the hi beam indicator show when full beam is selected? That might be a good indicator.

I see little sense in dismantling the switch as I think it's a sealed unit. You need to get the the connector where the cable from the switch terminates and do some diagnostics with a multimeter there.

Another thing to try is to remove the connector into the speedometer and check for corrosion. From memory you will have to drop the fairing to do this, so you might as well check the bulbs while you're there.

2 valve or 8 valve motor? The wiring might be different. Check the download section of this site for a schematic.

Good luck!

When you say there was nothing there what do you mean. There were no lights at all? High or low beam.

There is a high beam relay on the Norge along with a lighting relay. If you have no high or low beam I doubt it is the high beam relay as when it flips it is one or the other. No real in between. Same with the switch. Hard to be stuck in between as all it does is flip the relay.

I would start with looking at all the fuses. Is the bike still charging. Sounds like you may have blown the main lighting fuse or the fuse for the trigger for the relays.

Failing that you will need to check the relays. To be honest I am not exactly sure where they are on the Norge. May want to break out the manual to find them.

Owensboro?

Had no idea a Guzzi there, especially a Norge.

I'm DCHS '65.

Inasmuch as I spent most of my time in science classes staring at some darling lasses -- I won't name 'em; one might be your sister! ;) -- I can't add anything substantively to this thread even though I, too, have a Norge, albeit a firstgen model. Those had some headlight woes involving a recall for a short. Yours is the first 8v I've heard of with a headlight issue. FWIW, my brother Michael (DCHS '67, btw) has had three 8v Norges with the rollerization of his first, a '12, being his only real problem.

Hope you sort it out.

OBTW, several Guzzis and some "other brands" will descend on Owensboro and Whitesville 27-28 May for the picnic at St. Mary's. Want to join us? See last year's run: https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/muttering-about-mutton.16119/

Bill

Last edited:
Owensboro?

Had no idea a Guzzi there, especially a Norge.

I'm DCHS '65.

Inasmuch as I spent most of my time in science classes staring at some darling lasses -- I won't name 'em; one might be your sister! ;) -- I can't add anything substantively to this thread even though I, too, have a Norge, albeit a firstgen model. Those had some headlight woes involving a recall for a short. Yours is the first 8v I've heard of with a headlight issue. FWIW, my brother Michael (DCHS '67, btw) has had three 8v Norges with the rollerization of his first, a '12, being his only real problem.

Hope you sort it out.

OBTW, several Guzzis and some "other brands" will descend on Owensboro and Whitesville 27-28 May for the picnic at St. Mary's. Want to join us? See last year's run: https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/muttering-about-mutton.16119/

Bill
Small world Bill! Would be very interested in the run, I'll check it out.

As far as Guzzi's in Owensboro, I've seen a number of older ones down through the years. I think they mostly stay in garages.
The problem I'm having is only with the high beams, I've still got low beams. This is why I was leaning more towards a switch or relay.

I didn't realize that you have the 8v model, I should have read your profile.

Yes, there are relays in the path, try swapping them around with another with identical number of pins to see if the fault clears. That's gonna be easier than accessing the switch.

I didn't realize that you have the 8v model, I should have read your profile.

Yes, there are relays in the path, try swapping them around with another with identical number of pins to see if the fault clears. That's gonna be easier than accessing the switch.

Checked the post.....very nice! Actually it wouldn't have been my sister, I'm a transplant from Muhlenburg Co. Ky.
You know "Down by the Green River where Paradise lies" . Came to Owensboro in '60 after I finished high school.
Lived in Paradise for a couple years in my early teens.

I have a Norge with the same/similar problem. A '14 but only 550 miles on the clock.

First time, I had the parking lights and hi beam but no low beams. Dealer kept it for a few weeks then said both low beam bulbs were blown - I suspect they just started working again.

Second time few rides later, still parking lights but no low beams or high beams. None of the bulbs were blown and they just started working themselves.

Last night, was coming back from a ride just on dark, low beams were working fine until I flicked the high beams on and off a few times just as I was getting near home to see what would happen. Lost low and high beams. Went and checked fuzes this morning, all good. Turned engine on and lights all working again. Was it because I pulled fuzes?

LH handlebar switch or the right hand relay? If one type is supposed to be always on, what would cause both to go off?

Power supply to the HB relay would cause both to go out or the main fuse for the lighting relay(or the lighting relay itself) Really no way for both to go out. The switch would not cause that. Only way to know for sure is to start probing for power on the relays when it happens if you are up for that challenge.

Will be easier to replace both the high beam and lighting relay to eliminate. I would guess it is one of those from you symptoms. One of them is stuck. My guess is the lighting relay but replace both. Both are 5 pin relays and are just a simple bosh type. Can get those anywhere.

When both lights go out and the bike is running what is the voltage on the bike. If you are not charging then it is the lighting relay. Same electrics on the Stelvio and have been down this path several times with people. Relays can work one day and not the next. Most likely carbon buildup on the contacts.

Many thanks. So that is GU29732550 around $30 online or is that a common part from auto stores under a different description?

As long as it is a Bosch type 5 pin relay it is good. Just need to make sure the pin arrangement is the same as a Bosch.

Bosch# 0-332-209-151

Last edited:
Before doing anything else, spray some contact cleaner into the dip switch and operate it a few times. That just might clear it and is simple to do. Always start with the simple remedy.

I once had a problem with mine, in heavy rain, water got in and the main beam came on permanently with no action from me. Operating the switch made no difference. Eventually it dried out enough to clear.

Before doing anything else, spray some contact cleaner into the dip switch and operate it a few times. That just might clear it and is simple to do. Always start with the simple remedy.

I once had a problem with mine, in heavy rain, water got in and the main beam came on permanently with no action from me. Operating the switch made no difference. Eventually it dried out enough to clear.

Brian, worth a try, but in this case where there are no lights at all then I don't think this will be the cause. All the switch does is flip the HB relay from LB to HB. It is wired to the trigger on the relay. But I do agree, start simple. Has been my approach for years and never let me down.

Other thing that you can try is when you have no lights, give both the lighting relay and HB relay a quick tap with a screw driver. They may just need a nudge. The relays can be cleaned with contact cleaner but that the cap off first. You then need to make sure there is no carbon buildup between the contact. I had that issue one and clean them up and they have worked fine ever since.

Another development that may or may not be related. Tonight I am back to no lowbeam or brights and my brake light is stuck on bright. I am going to chase down a relay tomorrow. Do those two circuits have anything in common or is this separate?

I just turned ignition through steering lock and onto parking lights. The front parking lights are on but the brake lights are off. Shouldn't they be on? Sorry about post hijack.

Back