• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso died

Thgil

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Famiglia
hello people.
Just had to come back home on a tow truck.
My 06 griso just died.
Sprayed a bit of easy start into the injection thing??
And it fired then died.
So it seems no fuel!
Anyone else had this?
The bike was wintered over but I rode last few weeks to make sure it had fresh fuel.
What should I look for filter wise maybe blocked.
Any help will be appreciated
Cheers
Thgil.

Sounds like fuel pump either died or the hose inside the tank may have come off or split.

When you turn the key do you here the pump prime up. If it does prime up open the fuel cap when it does that. If the hose is off or split you will here a lot of splashing or fuel whiling around. It is not uncommon for the hose to split. If there is no prime then dead pump or fuse.

I would start there. May also be the filter but you would expect it to die slowly over time. This sounds like sudden death. May need to remove the pump.

A kinked fuel line can also cause that but unless you recently did some work it is not likely.

Check the connection from the fuel pump to the filter. Open the cap and turn the ignition on if there is a problem you will see movement in the fuel tank.
Hi. Thanks for the advice!
I opened the fuel cap and turned the ignition on it sprayed and bubbled away to itself!!
So a new fuel pump!
Once again thanks for the advice
Regards
Thgil.

Pull the pump to look at it before u buy a new one. May just be the hose or the hose connection.
Will do. Just saw the price of a new pump £450!!!! I think I'll put a new piece of hose on and a filter whilst it's out.
Many thanks
Thgil.

Having just gone through this again with my Piaggio scooter, I can share some free wisdom here. Never buy a factory fuel pump because what you are actually buying is the entire assembly! You rarely if ever need all of that. You usually don't even need a pump but rather some submersible fuel line.

Here is a picture of your exact assembly.

Griso fuel pump
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_WesuqifC32cEtVbnhkTnBRN0U/view?usp=sharing

Notice the very short hose from the fuel pump to the fuel filter. That is usually where a crack in the hose develops and can sometimes be detected by failure to start on the first cranking, but then starting on the second crank every time and this is because the pressure in the line leaks slowly and it take two cycles of the pump to fully pressurize the line to start the bike. These types of pumps spin up in pressure as demand for fuel is increased, so wide open throttle calls for maximum pressure in the line, while cruising on the motorway backs down the pressure. This little feature is your friend and enemy because when things start to go, they are sinister in that they creep up slowly, usually over time, yet when you go out riding that one time where you are making the wide open throttle call for fuel pressure, she lets go and the bike sputters and coughs to death until it just dies and refuses to start again.

So, carefully remove the fuel pump assembly from your gas tank, it isn't hard, just be sure you understand how to properly disconnect the fuel line from that red elbow (lots of posts on that here) and check out that little hose first. 95% chance your rupture is there. If not, then the rupture will be in the longer kinky hose, which can simply be replaced with the flex in-tank fuel pump hose (they are for sale on Ebay in all sizes)or even submersible fuel line.

Now, in the even you actually need a fuel pump, which I seriously doubt in this case from your previous comments, there are several supplies on E-bay and such that will sell you just the pump (GU06107200), which can be easily replaced "plug and play", for about 50 pound or even substantially less!

In the case of my Piaggio recently, the factory used clear tubing between the fuel pump and the fuel filter, and it developed a stress crack. Here:

Photo on 4 23 17 at 1048 AM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_WesuqifC32NFd1a2VtZnJtQ1E/view?usp=sharing

Bv fuel line assembly1 184

Yours is almost certainly the exact same, and can be repaired with a little time and a couple of quid worth of submersible fuel line.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I wanted to change the fuel hose on my Griso 1100, but I found the submersible type was difficult to source in the UK.

I eventually found some on Ebay. Search for 'Cohline 2190'.

Brian

Having just gone through this again with my Piaggio scooter, I can share some free wisdom here. Never buy a factory fuel pump because what you are actually buying is the entire assembly! You rarely if ever need all of that. You usually don't even need a pump but rather some submersible fuel line.

Here is a picture of your exact assembly.

View attachment 12131
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_WesuqifC32cEtVbnhkTnBRN0U/view?usp=sharing

Notice the very short hose from the fuel pump to the fuel filter. That is usually where a crack in the hose develops and can sometimes be detected by failure to start on the first cranking, but then starting on the second crank every time and this is because the pressure in the line leaks slowly and it take two cycles of the pump to fully pressurize the line to start the bike. These types of pumps spin up in pressure as demand for fuel is increased, so wide open throttle calls for maximum pressure in the line, while cruising on the motorway backs down the pressure. This little feature is your friend and enemy because when things start to go, they are sinister in that they creep up slowly, usually over time, yet when you go out riding that one time where you are making the wide open throttle call for fuel pressure, she lets go and the bike sputters and coughs to death until it just dies and refuses to start again.

So, carefully remove the fuel pump assembly from your gas tank, it isn't hard, just be sure you understand how to properly disconnect the fuel line from that red elbow (lots of posts on that here) and check out that little hose first. 95% chance your rupture is there. If not, then the rupture will be in the longer kinky hose, which can simply be replaced with submersible standard fuel line.

Now, in the even you actually need a fuel pump, which I seriously doubt in this case from your previous comments, there are several supplies on E-bay and such that will sell you just the pump (GU06107200), which can be easily replaced "plug and play", for about 50 pound or even substantially less!

In the case of my Piaggio recently, the factory used clear tubing between the fuel pump and the fuel filter, and it developed a stress crack. Here:

View attachment 12133
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_WesuqifC32NFd1a2VtZnJtQ1E/view?usp=sharing

View attachment 12137

Yours is almost certainly the exact same, and can be repaired with a little time and a couple of quid worth of submersible fuel line.

Good Luck!
Great info Scott. Don't need it now, but I'll file this away for future reference.

Scott Mastrocinque interesting pic. My G11 has the fuel filter next to the pump with a longer flex hose to the top of the filter. The good part is the filter is more isolated from the pump vibrations. The bad part is it's really tough to get the whole assembly out of the fuel tank. Disconnecting the fuel quick-connect is easier!

A couple of days ago I pulled my fuel pump, removed the pump and jumpered it to test. I was happy the motor was fine so used a screw type hose clamp and put the whole mess back together. next time I'll just jumper the motor without taking it apart.

The reason for this experiment is my Griso left me on the side of the road a week ago. It's been an ongoing problem of an electrical gremlin shorting out the 20 amp fuse that goes to the fuel pump & injectors. After blowing 5 -- 20 amp fuses on the side of the road I had to call for a pickup. before when it happened I'd just replace the fuse and ride away -- the Gremlin's Curse.

At home I found that if I disconnected the fuel pump electrical connection, it didn't blow the fuse when I turned the key -- so I figured it was the pump assembly.

It was the pump assembly but not the pump. I believe it was a crimped/twisted wire in the fuel pump assembly that I've corrected and installed differently. She starts now but only time will tell if my Gremlin Returns. or another one comes around

Mark

Last edited:
scottmastrocinq interesting pic. My G11 has the fuel filter next to the pump with a longer flex hose to the top of the filter. The good part is the filter is more isolated from the pump vibrations. The bad part is it's really tough to get the whole assembly out of the fuel tank. Disconnecting the fuel quick-connect is easier! ...

{Begin Tiny Rant - Directed at that stupid little sidebar and not to the poster!}
I hate that the sidebar on the left of posts, word-wraps my username. It's just my real name, Scott Mastrocinque, but because it has so many letters, it wraps the "ue" to the next line...
{Tiny Rant Over}

It doesn't surprise me that yours might look different. The factory has done that type of thing many times before - part revision or substitution. My main point was to check the little hoses connecting the bits together, and not so much the layout of the components.

Glad you found your gremlin. Hope it stays away!

Last edited:
Ok.
I removed the tank and up on the bench it went.
Unbolted the pump and the filter was not connected so I pushed it back on with the clamp still on and I could pull it off quite easily.
Then I tightened the clamp and it held.
So all back together let the pump prime a few times and away she went!
Thanks so much for everyone's help!
Regards
Thgil.

Excellent.

Like I have said several times with these bikes. Looks for the simplest solution. 9 times out of 10 it will be the right one and the cheapest. Glad it all worked out. Think of all the beer that £450 will buy......

Safe riding.

I have thought about the savings I have made and your right that's a lot of lovely beer....mmmmm beer.
Take care.

Ok.
I removed the tank and up on the bench it went.
Unbolted the pump and the filter was not connected so I pushed it back on with the clamp still on and I could pull it off quite easily.
Then I tightened the clamp and it held.
So all back together let the pump prime a few times and away she went!
Thanks so much for everyone's help!
Regards
Thgil.
There is a lot of pressure involved. You really need to make sure it is completely secured. Personally I would not just "tighten the clamp". But that is me, I hate being stranded. I would put more effort into making sure the whole system is secure. And if the fuel line has not been switched out (from the factory they came with fuel line that was not rated for submersion in gasoline) to fuel line that is rated for submersion it will likely come undone again at some point. It is just a matter of when.

I suspect someone already did that. He said he tightened the clamp. They come from the factory with crimped fuel hose clamps that cannot really be tightened (at least that is what is on my Stelvio and the other bikes I have seen). If it was a gear clamp sounds like someone already did some work in there previously.

That of course brings up another issue. I changed my fuel filter and replaced the clamps with stainless gear clamps. Wonder if they start to back off over time??? Worth a look next time my fuel is low.

Thgil, I'm thrilled you found the problem! Glad to be of service. :)

It is imperative that one uses submersible hose for this application. Regular fuel line and even fuel injection line is not designed for constant submersion and it will dissolve into a gummy mess which will ruin your fuel pump and anything it comes in contact with.

Personally, I purchased an Oetiker clamp system with the straight crimper on Amazon awhile back as well as the side crimping tool as well. I've never regretted buying it and have used it several times with 100% confidence because it is the one clamping system that in my whole life, I've never seen an Oetiker clip fail or let go - EVER. Not in aircraft, marine, car, or motorcycle applications. The things are ROCK SOLID!

Enjoy that beer! Lift a pint to me will you? :party:

Last edited:
I've removed the tank again and got the fuel pump out.
I was a bit silly thinking that I could tighten the original clamps with pliers although I could not pull the pipe off.
Therefore I bought some new clamps ( not jubilee clips) and have bought some new fuel hose which is made to be submersible in petrol.
This is to replace the short hose from pump to filter which is where the problem began.
Would it be worth replacing the long flexible hose as well?
It looks fine to me.
But I feel a bit like this.
I'm a gas heating engineer.
When people ask me what boiler should they get me to install I only recommend 1 brand.
Take the case off and inside its all copper pipes and brass connections.
A cheaper 1 is all rubber hoses and clamps. A bit Mickey Mouse in my opinion.
So when I 1st got the fuel pump out and saw rubber hoses and clamps guess who sprung to mind!!!!
I rant on,my apologies.
Thgil.

Back