• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

A Tire Thread

Radials with tubes on supermoto bikes is mainly because they want the grip of a radial but the spoked wheels require tubes.

There is nothing wrong with sticking with the stock Pirelli tires. The Demons are pretty sticky. Once upon a time I think they were the sticky racing Pirelli's. Reasons to switch would mainly be if you wanted a tire that lasts longer. But tire choice is often a personal preference thing. There are tires and brands of tires I prefer and there ones I don't. Everyone is allowed to have their own preferences on that. There is no right or wrong.

I would stick with the stock sport demons. They may not get the best mileage but they really help with confidence and stick when you need them to. They warm up nicely. Another possible option are the Pirelli scorpion trail. A 95%/5% "dual sport" tire.

I really like the look of the Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires, but I don't think they make them in bias. I've been looking.

Does anyone have any other ideas for a similar tire that would actually work/fit?

For what it is worth - I ran bias Mettzler Macadams on my BMW R80R / R100R bikes for maybe 50k miles then went to Avon ST radials. What an improvement! Both in handling and q 10% increase in life that I did not expect. Radials seem to have a rounder profile and the bike now rolls effortlessly into corners....and the tyres last longer.
AndyB

A zombie thread. Back from the dead 3.5 years later.

I have a different V7, but am having tire issues. I just had a flat on a Pirelli Sport Demon at 2500 miles and that tire is all chewed up. Plenty of tread left, but there are chunks missing and little holes everywhere. I think it's due to a fairly soft compound, but I'm wondering after all this time if anyone can provide an update on the performance of the Michelin Activ tire or the Conti Go!. Maybe Avons if someone fitted them.

I'm thinking of going to tubeless tires (Stone rims) so that I can at least use a plug to get me home if I have a flat. My experience is that if I am prepared for a flat, I never get one.

Those Pirelli tires didn't last long on my Stone. I think I got like 5,000 on the back and maybe 7,000 on the front. Very soft compound. Got a flat on the rear on the way back from Tahoe and fixed that with a plug. I'm on my third rear tire now and I'm using a Dunlop 404, it at least appears to be holding up very well.

I don't need any yet, but I want to be prepared (at least mentally) when the time comes. I've been looking around and so far I have found these:

Lasertec
Metzeler ME880
Pirelli Sport Demon
Conti Go!
Avon Roadriders
Michelin Pilot Activ

These are the only ones I know of that you can buy as a matched set, front and rear. Lasertecs are pretty much crap. I'm running the Sport Demons and they really like to follow every little imperfection in the road, but are otherwise OK. The Avon's are rated well, but I don't know anything about them either.

Anyone know of any others or have any experience with the ones listed?
hi I totally agree about the lasertecs following small road imperfections and white lines, found it off putting, be interested to see what others recommend.

Check out Metzelers new Sportec Klassik; http://www.metzeler.com/site/com/products/tyres-catalogue/Sportec-klassik.html

For those in Los Angeles or Orange, I can get these for you at online rate, and very fair M&B. Contact me direct email; Todd at GuzziTech.com

sportec-klassik-_product_sheet_460x500.jpg

I am looking for 80-20 dual sport tires for my Stone, therefore, tubeless. And I want a matched pair and do not want a 50-50.
Want I have found:
Moto Guzzi Scrambler/Stornello tires
Kendo K761
Pirelli Scorpion Trail II - but they are 90-10s
Is there anything else?
What is your experience with these tires on V7s?

Avon AV54 Trail rider. I've installed a few now on V7's. I personally don't like them for street only use, but those that ride street only want this look, say they like them.

Avon AV54 Trail rider. I've installed a few now on V7's. I personally don't like them for street only use, but those that ride street only want that look, say they like them.
Todd,
Thanks for the quick reply.
Their 110/80-18 is a "rear" tire; Is it OK to run a rear on the front? Their front tires in this model have 5mm thread depth, the rear tires have 7.7mm per the US chart or 10.5mm per the UK chart. Does this cause any handling problems?
Are these tires tubeless? Their charts don't say.

I am wanting an 80/20 tire; Avon calls this a 90/10. It is the replacement for the Distansia. But, looking at the sipes, they are as wide, or wider than most 80/20s; looks good to me. I read a bunch of reviews and the reports from Earth Roamer. These are THE tires for me.

Dan

Their 110/80-18 is a "rear" tire; Is it OK to run a rear on the front? Does this cause any handling problems?
Common practice to reverse the direction when using rears on front. They are tubeless or tubed of course. Feels to me you are riding on a tennis court, but the owner below loves them.

IMG 9374

Common practice to reverse the direction when using rears on front. They are tubeless or tubed of course. Feels to me you are riding on a tennis court, but the owner below loves them.

View attachment 11315

What tires are those, Todd? Also, what's the fattest / largest tires that can be run on the stock V7 racer wheels?

What tires are those, Todd? Also, what's the fattest / largest tires that can be run on the stock V7 racer wheels?
Noted 5 posts above. Covered plenty here in ths thread. One up from stock, but I'd stick to a stock size on the rear for potential clearance issues with dual purpose tires.

View attachment 11315

So what brand are these? I am looking for a bit more tread than sport demons and not for looks. Living in the Adirondacks secondary roads can still have sand and gravel up until late July.

Are there tire options for the stock 2014 V7 rims? Or does it involve upgrading wheels too?

Another option for tires with some tread is the Shinko 705. I have been riding on them for about four thousand miles now, and I've been really pleased with them. they don't make a 100/90 front, but I fit a 120/80, which is pretty close in terms of diameter and fits the wheel just fine.

Attachments

• guzzi front tire 2.jpg
    guzzi front tire 2.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20150503_125409.jpg
    IMG_20150503_125409.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 22
Another option for tires with some tread is the Shinko 705. I have been riding on them for about four thousand miles now, and I've been really pleased with them. they don't make a 100/90 front, but I fit a 120/80, which is pretty close in terms of diameter and fits the wheel just fine.
I think the 705 size 4.10-18 is a better fit, closer to the 100/90-18. It has a lower speed rating than the 120/80, but 93 mph is fast enough for me. Unfortunately for me and my Stone, those front tires are only available tube-type. I bought the Stone because I wanted tubeless, for easier repair and perhaps lower unsprung weight. I run 705s on my other bikes and like them. 90% of flats are on the rear so I'm trying to convince myself to just go ahead and put a tube in the front.
My other top choice is Avon TrailRider which required running a rear tire on the front (thread reversed).
Other choices, all tubeless, are:
Moto Guzzi Scrambler/Stornello tires
Kendo K761
Pirelli Scorpion Trail II - but they are 90-10s
Dan

Ordered them and arrived. My buddy is swapping next Thursday. With only 4,800 miles on the existing tires, do I need new tubes? With that minor size change up front do I need at least a new front tube?

Ordered them and arrived. My buddy is swapping next Thursday. With only 4,800 miles on the existing tires, do I need new tubes? With that minor size change up front do I need at least a new front tube?

Ther are differing opinions on this, but best practice is to fit new tubes whenever you change a tire. I've heard guys talk about reusing tubes multiple times without problem, and you could probably get away with it in a pinch, but if you've got access to new tubes, I'd use em, especially in the front with the tire size difference.

Others may offer a different view.

Back